Author Topic: EPPS of Sandwich  (Read 557 times)

Offline bluegirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
EPPS of Sandwich
« on: Friday 26 March 21 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Need advice please. Been stuck on my 3x GGM.    Her baptism record 1773 is Sybilla Epps.  She married Thomas Scott in 1796 and initially I found & confirmed 3 children.  I have been unable to find a death record for her though on a number of sites.  So I tried find my past via a Kent site and found 7 records under Sybley, Sybilla, Sybbey, Sebley, Sibley, Sibylla, Sibyll & Sybella but they are all birth 1773 & marriage 1796 just different spellings.  However under SIBYLLA EPPs (not SCOTT)there is a death date 1803!  However it does not give the index number without me signing up for a year so i would rather just order the cert but still cannot find that record on other sites though.  However I found a child JAMES SCOTT born & died Oct 1804 to Sybylla & Thomas Scott, Sandwich...this is one year after the only death indication.   Any ideas how I proceed or best site for old Kent parish records for deaths.  Such a unique name you would think it would be an easy one to find.   

copyright image removed
Sandwich:  SCOTT, EPPS, COCK
Margate:    SCOTT, COOPER, GRIGGS
Ramsgate:  COOPER
Canterbury: SCOTT, COOPER
Hull:           SCOTT, JENKINS, MEEKIN

Online Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: EPPS of Sandwich
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 March 21 23:22 GMT (UK) »
The 1803 Burial record only shows name and date. You cannot get a death certificate for a death before 1837.  Do you know when Thomas died?  Maybe she remarried.
Sibyll Scott married Lawrence Tucker 2nd April 1809 Canterbury, no indication of age on banns. Burials records for Sybella and Sibilla Tucker in 1848 have her birth year as 1773.
Burial 1st September 1848 in Margate. She is on the 1848 census b 1776 as Sybella, in Margate. Lawrence is absent. Maybe you can find the marriage image to see if she was a widow.

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 March 21 09:59 GMT (UK) »
According to the entry on familysearch both Sybill (entered as Sibiline) and Lawrence were widowed when they married.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Online Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 March 21 23:32 BST (UK) »

Thank you for the personal message. I am glad the information may be useful to you. It would be best if you replied on this open forum and then others can help you.
There is a burial which could be your Thomas.
Thomas Scott (from St Peters )
age 30 (b 1776)
buried 5th July 1806
Sandwich St Clements
The 1804 baptism and burial are at Sandwich St Peter.

Offline bluegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 March 21 12:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you....so sorry, had no idea it was sent as a personal message..don't really know how to use roots chat. I just clicked reply, typed and sent and it all disappeared!!!   
Sandwich:  SCOTT, EPPS, COCK
Margate:    SCOTT, COOPER, GRIGGS
Ramsgate:  COOPER
Canterbury: SCOTT, COOPER
Hull:           SCOTT, JENKINS, MEEKIN