Author Topic: Looking for people whose families were involved in slavery  (Read 1146 times)

Offline GoldRimmedLamp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for people whose families were involved in slavery
« on: Friday 26 March 21 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Would anyone be kind enough to help me? I'm an A-Level student and I'm working on a project for Citizenship Studies about Britain's role in slavery.

I recently discovered that my own family had links to slavery, which is why I've chosen this subject. I really want to speak to other people whose families were involved in slavery as slave-owners/slave-traders, to discuss their feelings towards their ancestors and their sense of identity today.

OBVIOUSLY, I won't use any names in my project or anything like that -- everything would be totally anonymous.

I'd be really grateful if anyone would be willing to talk about their family history, and tell me a little about their thoughts and feelings.

I hope it's okay to post this here. This project means a lot to me, and I think genealogy forums are probably the only place I'll be able to find anyone who knows if their ancestors were involved in slavery.

Thank you very much!!

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for people whose families were involved in slavery
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 March 21 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Are you looking at it from a certain angle ?

Are you including modern day slavery that is still very much going on ?

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Guy Etchells

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 March 21 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Are you going to include the thousands of black lives saved by slavers or just going to jump on the woke bandwagon of slavery is wrong.

Given the choice of having their head hacked off over possibly half an hour by a child hardly old enough to wield the hatchet, slavery was a good option, but then most history books hide the real facts about early slavery
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 March 21 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Guy:  It doesn't strike me as though this young person is jumping on any bandwagon, which you seem to imply (if you did not, I apologise).  I believe they are genuinely looking for whatever truths they can uncover if the second paragraph is anything to go by.  Any discussion, rationally based, can be so educational going forwards.

GRL:  I wish you luck with the project, I am sure you will try and understand it from all sides and discuss it sensibly.  And Sarah has a point: perhaps, once you have found all the information you can, a contrast/comparison exercise can be included regarding today's problems.
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Davis House, Lewiston, ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 March 21 14:56 GMT (UK) »
"black lives saved by slavers"

Yikes.

No cheers.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 March 21 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Sorry can't help you in so far as my own ancestry they were all ordinary hard working trades/agr workers.
However worth looking at the International Slave Museum in Liverpool if you haven't already done so https://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/international-slavery-museum
I used to travel a dozen or more times a year from Liverpool to Ireland and Liverpool was a main port for the ancient slave trade, many of its buildings bear its history as do the docks so very well worth a visit for research to see it for yourself as they also do tours of the city/docks which are very enlightening showing things you would normally miss /not see ( depends on covid travel restrictions)

Good luck with your A levels
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 March 21 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Are you going to include the thousands of black lives saved by slavers or just going to jump on the woke bandwagon of slavery is wrong.

Given the choice of having their head hacked off over possibly half an hour by a child hardly old enough to wield the hatchet, slavery was a good option, but then most history books hide the real facts about early slavery
Cheers
Guy

Did you have to Guy, This is a new poster asking for honest opinions on peoples' thoughts on their backgrounds connected to the slave trade.
I would hate the poster to be put off  :-\

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Davis House, Lewiston, ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 March 21 15:26 GMT (UK) »
"Did you have to"

Yeah, he had to.  He ain't Mr enlightenment, you know.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 March 21 16:00 GMT (UK) »
You might want to make some enquiries here, although they are closed at the moment. It's an amazing Museum, and was refurbished with new artefacts a few years ago:

http://humbermuseums.com/museum-hull/wilberforce-house-museum/

http://wilberforcemonumentfund.blogspot.com/p/the-monument.html

Carol

CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU