Author Topic: Diary > Friday 26th March  (Read 726 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Friday 26th March
« on: Saturday 27 March 21 01:02 GMT (UK) »
The day started off fine then there was a heavy shower mid morning, dry again for the rest of the day. Usual walk, wasn't sure about temperatures so took gloves and a hat with me. I was glad I did, there was a cold wind across the field.

Back for lunch and art class, it was very absorbing, a completely different technique. None of us had finished by the end of the class, this was the last one before the Easter break but we were all given advice on how to progress and we can send our paintings to the teacher for her to look at when it's convenient. We'll be starting again in three weeks, I'll miss my weekly class. As usual my friend L and I had a phone discussion about it afterwards.

Nothing else of note, had a couple of glasses of wine but didn't feel knocked out by it. Tesco delivery tomorrow, how exciting....... Not!
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Friday 26th March
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 March 21 08:22 GMT (UK) »

Roobarb - Glad you enjoyed your art class .... I’m sure the next three weeks will go quickly.. perhaps you and your friend L should have a zoom on a Friday and paint so you can still enjoy the company and the art....

We were glad to have got the work done on the fence as we had some heavy torrential showers... to the extent that it was hard to see out if the windows! They didn’t last for long but I’m glad I didn’t have to go out!
We decided it was time to give Sky a call as we’d have notification that from 1st April their charges were going up by about £8 a month....
Having spoken to some friends they’d managed to get a good deal and our contract is coming to an end...we’ve had Sky for 20 years !
It took about 45 minutes to get through and then a further 10 to get to the right department! For some reason, (as our landline is X directory)  our number had been blocked so we hadn’t been put to the front of the queue although we have VIP status.... sounds so grand doesn’t it... just means we’ve been loyal to them for a long time....
They were very helpful and we got a good deal from them for a further 18 months... we were advised to look continually as they always have deals... especially in November around Black Friday... which is when our friends got their deal...
By this time it was lunch time!
I spent the rest of the afternoon giving the house a good clean...such excitement!
We had a couple of games of scrabble late afternoon which I won both!
Dinner was just sausage and mash and a couple of glasses of wine..
Usual tv... watched France v Scotland rugby... they beat the french in France!
That’s it for the day...

MH - Bet your ships in the  bay aren’t the size of the one stuck in the Suez Canal!
My cousin used to be a chief engineer on a BP tanker years ago and it always amused me that they used bikes to get from one end of the ship to the other!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 March 21 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Good point about the size of the ships Caroline......
As an example:
Zaandam is 238m long, 32.2m wide and can reach a speed of 23 knots. (Her maximum height from the waterline is 48m.)

The Ever Given, operated by Taiwanese shipping company Evergreen Marine, is a golden-class container ship. Launched in 2018, the ship is 400 metres (1,300ft) long, and currently wedged diagonally across the Suez canal which is not much more than 200 metres (656ft) wide.

At 1,760 yards to the mile, (is my age showing here? ;) ) I figure 1,300 feet is around 1/4 of a mile, which would be ok once or twice each day, but not continually backwards and forwards I suppose, so push bikes would be handy on board.

I am told that the container ships have a prow ergonomically shaped similar to a bottle nosed dolphin, and that is what has become rammed into the side of the canal, beneath the water line. Though I stand to be corrected on that.

2 ships out in the Bay at anchor yesterday, and nothing much else of note going on.

What a good idea of Caroline's to continue zooming with art during the Easter break.  :D 
Also very nice to see plans are afoot for family meetings next week, and that Annette has at last met her twins.

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 March 21 16:46 GMT (UK) »
My goodness MH you’re certainly up to speed on your ship knowledge... I’m impressed ✅😀

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 March 21 18:09 GMT (UK) »
My goodness MH you’re certainly up to speed on your ship knowledge... I’m impressed ✅😀

Caroline
Caroline,
Almost everything l know, l learned from Mr Google!!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 March 21 18:20 GMT (UK) »
👍😀😀😱....
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK