Author Topic: Dead end with Smiths of Castleford  (Read 495 times)

Offline HappyGoLucky33

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dead end with Smiths of Castleford
« on: Saturday 27 March 21 10:13 GMT (UK) »
I am struggling to find any more information on John Smith, of Castleford, and his wife Eleanor. They had two daughters who were baptised at Castleford in the late 1790s.

9 October 1796
Nancy daughter of JOHN SMITH (of) Castleford

8 April 1798
Elizabeth daughter of JOHN and ELEANOR SMITH (of) Castleford (Elizabeth was married at Silkstone to John Hinchcliffe in 1820. In the 1861 census, Elizabeth said she was born in Whitwood, in 1851 she gave Castleford as her place of birth)

I haven't been able to find any more children baptised at Castleford to this couple and I haven't been able to find out what became of Nancy Smith either. The 1798 UK Land Tax Redemption shows that a John Smith rented land from a Richard Banks at Castleford. The West Yorkshire Land Tax Records may also show him renting land from Richard Brough in 1815 and 1817. After that, I've come to a complete dead end  ???

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dead end with Smiths of Castleford
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 March 21 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Here is the search page of ogindex.org which will tell you where any extant records for Castleford are.
https://ogindex.org/search

Nancy may be later recorded as Nan, Ann, Annie....
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline HappyGoLucky33

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dead end with Smiths of Castleford
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 March 21 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, josey. Most are on FindMyPast but there aren’t any burials for John and Eleanor in Castleford. I suspect they may have relocated, possibly to Silkstone?