Author Topic: William Adair  (Read 1321 times)

Offline elinga

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My mum and dad circa 1946
    • View Profile
William Adair
« on: Saturday 27 March 21 11:24 GMT (UK) »
sorry for the long story, but I have tried to include everything I know .
up until recently I believed that my great great grand parents Arthur Adair and Mary Johnston who married on 16 Dec 1850 Carrickfergus, Larne, County Antrim only had 4 daughters !
Mary Eliza born 16 Jun 1852 Carrickfergus.
Margaret (Maggie) born  1854 Carrickfergus, DOB not confirmed. she is my great grand mother !
Millicent born circa 1859 Carrickfergus, DOB not confirmed.
Jane born 16 Jun 1865 Carrickfergus , I dont think she lived very long , but that has not been confirmed !
I have info all about Arthur and Mary except their parents, marriages and deaths connected to the girls , so really dont need any information on them except dobs to be confirmed
so then I took  my dna test and joined myheritage and I got lots of hints with family connected to William Adair , he is listed with 2 different wifes in some trees !
so is William Adair the son of Arthur and Mary , is he connected to me or not ?
any information would be appreciated .
regards
Elinga
Everyday is a school day !!!!

McCrory/McCrorie Orr and McCafferty , Northern Ireland
Orr, Adair, McCafferty,McCrorie and McCrory, Millar,Strachan, Lewis,Linn, Arnott, Scott,Kerr,McKinnon , Jeffrey or Jaffrey,Lambie, Findlay and Meechan Ayrshire Scotland.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Adair
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 March 21 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Do you have any dates for William and a place?

Are you showing as a match to his descendants or is it just a hint?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline elinga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 March 21 13:07 GMT (UK) »
I dont have any information of William and have been tracing the Adair line for 20 years !
According to myheritage (its just a hint)
Ancestral surnames common to you and ............... include Adair and Johnston, she is the grand daughter of William James Adair born Nov 7 1896 Belfast, Antrim, Northern Ireland
died Mar 31 1964 (at age 67) Wordsley (Wordsley Hos…England) and his father is William Adair (with Arthur and Mary Adair as his parents ) , just says deceased! his wife in one tree is
Jane O'Neill
Circa 1861 County Down, Newry.
Deceased

in another tree with parents Arthur and Mary it says :
William John Adair Sep 20 1846
Ballycor, Ballycor, Antrim, Ireland
Isabella McAllister
Jan 30 1880
Raloo, Larne, County Antrim, Ireland

Arthur and Mary Johnston Adair were married in 1850 - Muckamore Presbyterian Church, County Antrim !
hope that is helpful

Orr, Adair, McCafferty,McCrorie and McCrory, Millar,Strachan, Lewis,Linn, Arnott, Scott,Kerr,McKinnon , Jeffrey or Jaffrey,Lambie, Findlay and Meechan Ayrshire Scotland.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 March 21 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry often posts one particular name to me as a hint but I just ignore it as I have the proper details.

However, here is one William James with parents William (a sailor) and Jane O’ Neill in Belfast.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1896/02153/1816734.pdf

Marriage of William to Jane O’Neill - father is Arthur, a Policeman
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1882/10954/8003868.pdf

You can search for any others here https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 March 21 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 March 21 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Jane born 16 Jun 1865 Carrickfergus , I dont think she lived very long , but that has not been confirmed !

Jane’s birth - Arthur, a labourer

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1865/03577/2318330.pdf

Possible death
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1875/020617/7233591.pdf

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 March 21 14:32 GMT (UK) »

up until recently I believed that my great great grand parents Arthur Adair and Mary Johnston who married on 16 Dec 1850 Carrickfergus, Larne, County Antrim only had 4 daughters !

Here's their marriage record, which is difficult to read.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1850/09380/5397340.pdf

However, they were married in Antrim Registrar's District and specifically in Muckamore Presbyterian Church in the Grange of Muckamore.

Here's Muckamore townland on the outskirts of Antrim.
https://www.townlands.ie/antrim/massereene-lower/antrim-rural/muckamore/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline elinga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
William Adair
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 March 21 14:39 GMT (UK) »
wow Heywood !!!!!!!!

William and Janes marriage just fits right as, the witnesses Millicent is a daughter of Arthur and Mary and she married James Simms !
then of course the birth if William James just is the icing on the cake !
re the death record of Jane , can you confirm what date you think it is please ?
it certainly liiks right too !
thank you very much for your help you have cleared the mess up !

Offline elinga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
William Adair
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 March 21 15:13 GMT (UK) »
hello Kiltaglassan thank you for that census looks like them , Lily could have been named after Millicent and the other names are difinitely in the family naming tradition!
sorry to have misled you I have the marriage for Arthur and Mary I just didnt say the correct place !