Author Topic: Abraham BLACKSHAW b 1806/7 Mobberley  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Rod Blackshaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Abraham BLACKSHAW b 1806/7 Mobberley
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 March 21 10:58 BST (UK) »
Mabel

That is brilliant! I have been waiting a couple of weeks for this certificate to turn up and now you have confirmed what I had reasoned out from the PARKER census data.

many thanks.

Offline Rod Blackshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 April 21 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Mabel

Just wanted to let you know that the Elizabeth BLACKSHAW (b 1843, Chorley) is indeed the right one. The birth certificate turned up yesterday and Abraham and Sarah BESWICK are both on it.

Rod

Offline valk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 26 April 23 08:50 BST (UK) »
Hello.  I was interested in the William Blackshaw marriages as I believe my ancestor James Blackshaw witnessed the first marriage (to Hannah Walley).  Are you sure that this is the same William Blackshaw that married Betty Mollineux as the signatures are very different.

Offline Rod Blackshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 April 23 09:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Valk

Glad you have contacted me because I have, so far, been unable to make the connection between james the witness and the William/Hannah marriage. IT might help firm up earlier generations for me. Do you know how they fit together?

I hadn't spotted signature differences and this does raise a doubt. My conclusion was based upon several later documents concerning Abraham that record William as a bricklayer. The other William B in Mobberley at the time was in the horse business.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you fit into the illustrious Blackshaw family line?

Rod

Offline valk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 26 April 23 09:51 BST (UK) »
Re: How do you fit into the illustrious Blackshaw family line?  My 3x great grandfather was James Blackshaw 1788 - 1845
He married Sarah Brown in 1813 and the signature is identical to that on William Blackshaw's first marriage.  He also witnessed the marriage of Phebe Blackshaw.  (illegitimate daughter of Ann Blackshaw daughter of Peter, whose birth is transcribed as Phebe Loundes)
The usual birth identified is 1783 father Richard Blackshaw but I have rejected this because james had a 14 year apprenticeship to Peter Blackshaw which if it ended when he was 21 would match the 1788 birth given on his death. He was initially a brick layer but became an inn keeper.
There is an illegitimate birth for James in 1787 (james Daniel son of Henry Daniel and Betty Blackshaw)
The William Blackshaw bricklayer living in Mobberley was born in High Legh - the son of William Blackshaw and Fann Southern?

Offline valk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 26 April 23 10:05 BST (UK) »
PS I think the William Blackshaw who married Fanny Southern could be the son of Peter Blackshaw of Alderley (William b 1754) (William buried Rostherne 1825 (born 1755)
I think the Peter Blackshaw to whom my James was apprenticed could have been another son of Peter Blackshaw of Alderley.   Do you have the memorial inscriptions for Alderley published by FHSC? They are quite useful for sorting out the Blackshaw families of Alderley.

Offline Rod Blackshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 26 April 23 10:30 BST (UK) »
I had got the fanny Southern connection so it is good to have that confirmed. She is also buried at Rostherne (1825) though I do not know where the grave is. i spend a bit of time there since my mother and some her family are in the churchyard.

I have the William of William/Fanny being the some of Peter B (d 1799) and Clarinda Cotler (d 1794). This was more deduction than evidence based and I have been unable to take either of them back further. Is this the peter to which you refer? I am still not clear how your James relates to my William.

I don't have the Alderley memorial inscriptions. I will see if I can get hold of them.

Offline valk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 26 April 23 12:27 BST (UK) »
 RE:I am still not clear how your James relates to my William.
Neither am I.   I had hoped that when I found the two  marriage witness records it would help but I still haven't a clue.  There must be some connection.  James was an apprentice to Peter Blackshaw of Great Warford so could be a distant relative of the Peter and Clarinda family but knew them well enough to witness their marriages? Being the illegitimate son of Betty Blackshaw and Henry Daniel would fit the scenario of being packed off to be an apprentice for 13 years but I cannot find who Betty Blackshaw was.  (she was not the daughter of Peter and Clarinda)

Offline Rod Blackshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 26 April 23 16:56 BST (UK) »
I have an Elizabeth Blackshaw (b. 1757) to Peter and Clarinda in Mobberley. However, she later married an Edward Parsons on 3 July 1777 in Alderley. Could this be the one? They also have a Peter Blackshaw (b. 1752 in Alderley) who is a possible for your apprenticer.

Again, I have Ann Blackshaw (b. 1760 in Mobberley) as part of the same family.

I think we are getting closer.