Author Topic: Mary Waldie 1810 - Scottish naming conventions and death certificate accuracy  (Read 1867 times)

Offline DudelsackHogg

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Waldie 1810 - Scottish naming conventions and death certificate accuracy
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 March 21 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Josephine. I only checked findmygrave for inscriptions without luck. I have, however, just joined the Borders family history society and hope I can get some more information from them. They do have monumental inscriptions to purchase and I may well do so, just need to figure out which parish is best to order.

Monica, thanks for that link to the discussion forum. That certainly looks like Mary is again linked to Helen Robson, it certainly fits the naming in my tree Going to double check if there is another Mary Waldie born around 1810-1811.

I’m more inclined now to think it’s an error on the death certificate but will keep looking.

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Waldie 1810 - Scottish naming conventions and death certificate accuracy
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 March 21 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Josephine. I only checked findmygrave for inscriptions without luck. I have, however, just joined the Borders family history society and hope I can get some more information from them. They do have monumental inscriptions to purchase and I may well do so, just need to figure out which parish is best to order...

I’m more inclined now to think it’s an error on the death certificate but will keep looking.

Good stuff. Sometimes ruling something out is as important as ruling something in.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 22:27 BST (UK) »
The Kirk Session records for Roxburgh, available on SP, say that William Hog and Mary Waldie appeared before the session on 3rd June 1832, confessed to antenuptial fornication and produced a certificate of their irregular marriage which had taken place on the 26th September 1831. They were admonished. At the next meeting of the session on 11th November 1832, William Waldie and Agnes Hogg produced their certificate of irregular marriage which had taken place the previous week at Coldstream, and they were admonished.

In a list of heads of households in Roxburgh for 1831, William Hogg is listed as a hind (farm labourer) at (Roxburgh) Newtown.

Regards,
Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline DudelsackHogg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 June 21 08:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this. I found this entry already. I started looking through the Kirk sessions a couple of weeks back and this was on the second or third page of the minutes. Pretty much the first Kirk sessions I looked at and I thought ‘wow, that was easy.’

You’ve reminded me though that I wanted to delve further into William Waldie and Anges Hogg. I’d had a quick look for them before but didn’t pursue it. It is interesting that they appear after William Hogg and Mary Waldie.

William’s sister is in there too. He had two known (to me) sisters Elizabeth and Elspeth. Elspeth is in there page 69 for fornication with Thomas Thomson. She has two children with Thomas and wins a Sheriff court paternity decree against him.   

I have a lot of information on William and probably a clearer timeline of his life than my ‘not so great’ grandfathers. That sounds like William is my favourite.

I also saw the heads of house entries. Newtown is one of the areas with Hogg connections I’ve been looking at. I am very aware that the Hogg’s seem to be everywhere and as he was an agricultural labourer he would be moving around a bit.

I do wish there wasn’t a gap in Roxburgh minutes but I think Roxburgh is gernerally very good for their old parish records.

My research motivation comes in waves and it’s amazing how much I’ve learnt in just over a year. I started off, I guess like most, rather clumsily, but now I’m much better at researching, certainly the Scottish records - no idea where to begin elsewhere. I am always amazed at how fast people on this board can find things but I guess that comes with experience and knowing where to look and recognising patterns.

Thanks again.