Author Topic: Birth certificate annotated by the Registrar "Adopted" at Birth  (Read 2805 times)

Offline lovesautumn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth certificate
« Reply #18 on: Monday 29 March 21 00:09 BST (UK) »
Annie married a James McConnell on 3/11/1933 in Glasgow. You may already have this information. According to a Family Tree on Ancestry Annie died in Ballarat, Victoria, Australia on 1/7/1985.

This tree also has a note to say "After her mother died Annie is believed to have been placed in a Children's Home. It is believed she joined her father's new family with her step mother - Helen Reid - and assisted in caring for her step brothers and sisters" Obviously, I cannot vouch for the accuracy of this statement.

Annie and James seem to have had at least 10 children some of whom settled in Canada and others in Australia. Again from Family Trees on Ancestry.

Dorrie

Actually the above information on ancestry is not entirely correct.  I am going to reach out to that person to have it corrected as soon as I find it.  Yes Annie died in 1985 in Ballarat. She and her husband James McConnell actually had 14 children.  Some immigrated to Canada, one remained in Scotland and Annie, her husband and the remainder went to Australia.  When Annie's mother died she did not go into a home for children.  She was raised by a family member, an Aunt.    Thanks MAXCAM for trying to help with the mystery of Mary!  I really appreciate the help of everyone on this site.  I am a descendant of Annie and we were not aware of any siblings so this is so interesting.

Offline lovesautumn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 29 March 21 00:17 BST (UK) »
Yes, I also got a copy of Annie's Marriage cert to James McConnell in 1933 and same as you, noted she said her Father was deceased. Sad and like you I also wondered if family ties had been severed. One of Annie's earliest memories,  which she related in later life, was when she was about 5, she remembered living with Auntie Annie and her three oldest children, whose names match exactly with those of the oldest children of my paternal Grandparents. My paternal Grandfather and Annie's Father were half brothers. No trace of Annie from her early childhood until her marriage in 1933 but from the Lanarkshire/Glasgow areas doubt if she travelled very far. I also noted no occupation given for Annie on her MC, perhaps in service? Just when I thought I was done with mysteries but as Hercule said it keeps the little grey cells ticking over. Not much else to do at this time.

MAXCAM, I found the people that raised Annie!  I got in contact with them today and that mystery has been solved.  It turns out that the Aunt Annie is actually the brother of Annie's father James Brownlie.  I am now in contact with the great granddaughter of Annie.  This is so amazing!  We may finally get some more answers relating to my grandmother's upbringing.  So far she has noted that she believes Annie was an only child so it's makes the Mary situation even more interesting.  She and I will have many conversations going forward and I hope we can get a better understanding of how my grandmother grew up!!

Offline maxcam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 29 March 21 11:04 BST (UK) »
The Edinburgh address for James Docherty Brownlie in 1953 DC was 252 Arthur Street, that is if I am reading the handwriting correctly.
Stewart: Scotland & Ireland
Buchanan: Scotland
Stephen: Scotland& Canada
Diamond: Ireland & Scotland
McCallum, Scotland

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 29 March 21 19:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks for posting the Edinburgh address maxcam. Old part of Edinburgh near Holyrood Park -  now demolished.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline maxcam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 29 March 21 19:49 BST (UK) »
Would that have been part of the St. Giles Parish?
McCallum, Scotland

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 29 March 21 21:56 BST (UK) »
It shows just outside the St Giles district area on this 1955 map www.edinphoto.org.uk/1_MAP/1_map_edinburgh_1955_c_1536.htm#map

Arthur Street shows just outside the south east tip of the boundary, pretty much next to the H for Holyrood Park.

Dorrie can I ask you a question? There is now an Arthur Street in Leith. Was this street in Leith also there in a similar time frame or is it a newer street?

Struggling to get a high street number on Arthur Street. Nowhere near the 252 you mention was on James Brownlie's death reg. This was with checking the 1940 Valuation Rolls and 1940-41 Post Office Directory.

If the Arthur Street by Holyrood Park is the correct one, there are some photos of it here http://edinphoto.org.uk - just type Arthur Street into the search box.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maxcam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Birth certificate annotated by the Registrar "Adopted" at Birth
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 09:52 BST (UK) »
Had another look at the address and instead of 252 Arthur Street it might possibly be 52. Would that make more sense?
McCallum, Scotland

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 13:58 BST (UK) »
Re the 1919 birth certificate that has been annotated.
Was an RCE issued to include this information?

I have discovered at least 2 birth records for my family where a late RCE was issued to amend names.
Both were well into adulhood when their RCEs were issued.

It took me a long time to work out what this was.
In both cases the biological father had died when they were infants.
Both had been raised by step fathers and both had always used their stepfathers last names.

I came to realise that in adulthood,  both of these people required a passport but, of course, neither could supply a birth certificate in the name that they had always used.
It was done by RCE. ( 1960 and 1990)
This did not alter the birth details in any way, but, simply showed the name that these people had always used.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 14:28 BST (UK) »
Monica - I think Arthur Street was at one time in the Registration District of St Giles. The City Fathers changed the boundaries a number of times over the years. There are now only two Districts left - Edinburgh and Leith.

The Arthur Street in question was the one in Dumbiekykes area of Edinburgh.
 It ran from the Pleasance down to the park. All demolished in the 1960's and new housing built.

The Arthur Street in Leith has always been there (in living memory anyway) Up until 1920 Leith and Edinburgh were two separate places and had their individual Councils. The boundary between Leith and Edinburgh was at Pilrig Street - North from there was Leith and South Edinburgh. There was a pub called the Boundary Bar - Half in Edinburgh and half in Leith with a line on the floor marking the border. Drinking hours were different so at Edinburgh closing time the punters moved across the line to Leith and had another pint. This practice continued for many years.
By the way people who are born in Leith still refer to themselves as Leithers and will never say they were born in Edinburgh. Strange people up here  :) :)

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife