Author Topic: Date only please for this Strickland family photo  (Read 903 times)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Date only please for this Strickland family photo
« on: Saturday 27 March 21 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Here's a not that brilliant photo of a family group - they lived in the Ealing, Middlesex area in the 1920s-40s.

They were comfortably off, but whether fashionable I have no idea!

Perhaps the hats, the mother's clothes and necklace, and the children's haircuts would help date it? 

Please don't trouble to improve the photo as this is an improved version of the original. We could do more with the image I expect, but the date is of the most interest.

Thanks.

Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Date only please for this Strickland family photo
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 March 21 11:36 BST (UK) »
My guess is 1940s to 50s.  The kids are between 3 and 9 years so if you know any of them you can date it quite precisely, cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 March 21 12:07 BST (UK) »
It's difficult to see much detail but I'd say 1930s.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 March 21 12:09 BST (UK) »
I agree with Gadget.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 March 21 13:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks all.  It is a poor photo.  That huge flat cap swamps the man and I wonder when those hats shrank a bit to the flat cap we see today.

I agree Ian that if I knew who all the children were, I could have a stab at the year, but there are too  many children for the couple, so some must be cousins.  Perhaps those with similar haircuts are their children.

I thought it was probably the 1930s myself. The mother was born in 1890, the father in 1888, and they had twins in 1914 (boy and girl, but the girl died in Jan 1922), a boy in 1916, a girl in 1917, and a boy much later in 1927.  So if the photo was before 1922, only 4 are theirs, and similarly if taken in the 30s.   
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 March 21 16:32 BST (UK) »
This one is confusing, the parents look 30's or 40's but the children look 50's to me.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 March 21 16:38 BST (UK) »
This one is confusing, the parents look 30's or 40's but the children look 50's to me.

;D

It's confusing - I first of all thought the children looked 30s and the parents looked 20s, so I settled on early 1930s. Two aunties had hats like that on my parents wedding pic - 1931.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 March 21 16:50 BST (UK) »

;D

It's confusing - I first of all thought the children looked 30s and the parents looked 20s, so I settled on early 1930s. Two aunties had hats like that on my parents wedding pic - 1931.

Gadget I agree the hat is typical 30's. When it came to the children it was as if I was looking at a class photo from 1961  ;D

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 March 21 17:28 BST (UK) »
It was in an album amongst mainly 1930s pictures.  Which doesn't mean it was 30s  :-\

Those children's haircuts do look like 50s/60s don't they?  Perhaps they were ahead of their time?  The father died in 1939 so that cuts off any older suggestions.
Crook, Bannister, Warren