Author Topic: Date of photo taken by 'Hawker & Son, Newbury'  (Read 920 times)

Offline Saccyresearch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Date of photo taken by 'Hawker & Son, Newbury'
« on: Saturday 27 March 21 21:32 GMT (UK) »
My mother, now in her 90's but still possessed of all her marbles, believes that this is a photo of her great-grandmother (1836-1927), Caroline Maccabee. However, a belief is all it is. She never met her great-grandmother and when she acquired the photograph from her aunt, there was nobody left alive to identify the subject. However, Caroline did spend all her life in Berkshire and was born near Newbury; I note that the card surrouding the photo appears to bear the inscription 'Hawker & Son, Newbury'
The photo is mounted on, and integral to, card, so card and photo cannot be separated. There is nothing on the back of the card.
It looks to me as though the subject is about 40, which, if she is Caroline Maccabee, would mean that the photo was taken in the late 1870s. To my mind, the photo is far too good to have been taken then, which makes me think that it is of someone else.
I researched the photographer's name and arrived at this site. I am pleased to see that the name of Hawker is known, but note that the son was not incorporated into the name until some time after the 1870s, which, again, suggests that this is not Caroline.
I note that there are contributors to the site who can identify dates from clothes.
Can anyone date this photo?
Given the subject's white hair (which could, of course, be blonde) would anyone say that she is much older then 40?
Does anyone else think that she is looking at a photo album?
I would love find out before it is too late to tell my mother whether she likely to be right or not.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Date of photo taken by 'Hawker & Son, Newbury'
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 March 21 14:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Saccyresearch and welcome to RootsChat :)

I am sorry but there was no image attached, you you please try again.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Saccyresearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 March 21 18:36 BST (UK) »
My photo did not upload yesterday because the file was larger than 500Mb. Here is another attempt (with a shorter filename and lower resolution).

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 March 21 21:51 BST (UK) »
Very hard to tell with so little of her dress in view . . . .but my very first impression is that it doesn't look 1870s  -  I am guessing early 1900s - or even after.

That would make her in her 60s   -  Could be I suppose -  :-\ :-\   She could be a well preserved 65-ish.  I think her hair is white rather than blonde. 

I will be interested to see what others think.  I wonder if the photographer could have 'touched up' the photo :-\

Wiggy   
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 March 21 22:22 BST (UK) »
I've lightened it to see more of her dress - just a snip.

I'm in two minds about it given the presentation.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 March 21 22:27 BST (UK) »
I would not put her any older than 50s and would say this could have been taken around 1915 give or take a couple of years. She is wearing a wedding ring and appears to be looking at an album of some sort. Her eyebrows are on the dark side which would suggest that her hair is grey, she appears to have very fair skin too and her eyes are not that dark so she could have been fair haired when younger.
Just my thoughts.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 March 21 23:24 BST (UK) »
I think she is looking at scrapbook of some sort and at the same time she is holding a part of her necklace which may be a mourning locket connected with a loved one.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Saccyresearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 April 21 22:24 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to Wiggy, Sparrett, Treetotal and Gadget.

I had not noticed that the subject was holding a locket, let alone realised the significance of it. Caroline's husband didn't die until 1929, so even if this is Caroline Maccabee, it cannot be her husband she is mourning.

The consensus seems to be that Caroline Maccabee was born so long ago that by the time this photo is likely to have been taken, she would have looked a lot older than the subject of this photo. It cannot therefore be her. If anyone else disagrees I would love to hear from them.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 April 21 22:43 BST (UK) »
I wonder if her Husband was a WW1 serviceman and this was taken to send to him?
Just something to consider.
I forgot to say....Welcome to RootsChat.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU