Author Topic: COMPLETED - Help finding Dundee Street name Census 1911  (Read 760 times)

Offline jmg1893

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COMPLETED - Help finding Dundee Street name Census 1911
« on: Sunday 28 March 21 11:41 BST (UK) »
Ive been looking at the 1911 census for my 2 x Grand Father George Taylor and his wife Margaret. The record shows that the family in what appears to be 10 Combination Street, Dundee in the parish of St Davids. The census notes that George and Margaret had been married 6 years had 3 children of whom only two survived, my Grand Father George aged three and a brother Robert aged six.

Ive heard of Constitution street in Dundee which is in St Davids parish but never combination street. Can someone check the writing and see whether the agree it looks like combination street?

Thanks
Gordon, McCulloch

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding Dundee Street name Census 1911
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 March 21 11:52 BST (UK) »
I am only aware of Constitution Road and Constitution Street. Unfortunately, no George Taylor on either in 1915 Valuation Rolls.

NRS has the list of streets for 1911, with Reg district/number. Again, no Combination only Constitution Road and Street.

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 March 21 11:56 BST (UK) »
If you are looking at the box at top left, that's not the address. It's Dundee Combination 8th, under the heading of Civil Parish and Parish Ward. Or to put it another way it is the 8th ward in the civil parish of Dundee.

The actual street address is in the column headed 'Road Street etc and number and name of house'.

Unfortunately the line reading 'Screenshot 2021-03-28 .... is obscuring the box where I would expect to find the name of the street so all I can tell is that the house number is 10.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jmg1893

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 March 21 12:01 BST (UK) »
If you are looking at the box at top left, that's not the address. It's Dundee Combination 8th, under the heading of Civil Parish and Parish Ward. Or to put it another way it is the 8th ward in the civil parish of Dundee.

The actual street address is in the column headed 'Road Street etc and number and name of house'.

Unfortunately the line reading 'Screenshot 2021-03-28 .... is obscuring the box where I would expect to find the name of the street so all I can tell is that the house number is 10.

Doh! Looks like East Hendersons Wynd.  Thanks for quick replies
Gordon, McCulloch

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED - Help finding Dundee Street name Census 1911
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 March 21 12:04 BST (UK) »
TAYLOR
GEORGE
Tenant Occupier
DWELLING HOUSE 10 EAST HENDERSONS WYND
DUNDEE
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline markw78

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED - Help finding Dundee Street name Census 1911
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 March 21 15:36 BST (UK) »
jmg1893
If you go to this link

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=19&lat=56.46006&lon=-2.97822&layers=170&b=1
look off 15 West Port..
You will see house numbers...  No 10 on Left of wynd..

Regards
Mark W