Author Topic: Gold Coast (Ghana): 1926-8 records?  (Read 454 times)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Gold Coast (Ghana): 1926-8 records?
« on: Sunday 28 March 21 16:58 BST (UK) »
Can anyone point me to resources connected to the Gold Coast, now Ghana, for the late 20s please?

I have a relative (Alfred Campbell born 1896) who travelled there to work in 1926 (I have found him on a passenger list to Accra, listed as a marine engineer, which he was) but family anecdotes say he worked there in the police force.  He had apparently intended to send for his family, but caught malaria and had to return to England.  He was back by 1928 but I have not been able to find him listed on any passenger lists for his return. 

Oddly he remained on the electoral roll for his home address in Acton over the period 1925-1929, so perhaps the anecdotes are wrong and he always planned to come back quite soon.

I'd like to find out what his occupation was while living in the Gold Coast, so welcome any ideas for where I could try to find this out.  Meanwhile I am keeping an eye out for any new passenger lists becoming digitised as he might appear, and that might show what his job had been.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Gold Coast (Ghana): 1926-8 records?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 March 21 17:08 BST (UK) »
Just found his return passage, arriving in July 1927.  And his profession is still stated as engineer.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 March 21 21:18 BST (UK) »
Wondering if there were censuses in the Gold Coast during this period?
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 March 21 14:21 BST (UK) »
I've come across the Public Records and Archive Administration Dept for Ghana and have contacted them to see what records they might hold.  There is a tab on the website to search their catalogue but it didn't work for me.

praad.gov.gh
Crook, Bannister, Warren