Author Topic: online exploring-german-genealogy  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: online exploring-german-genealogy
« Reply #9 on: Friday 14 May 21 17:19 BST (UK) »
I'm unable to assist with a view about any courses but saw that you are new to rootschat and thought I'd stop by to welcome you.

It's a couple of decades since I researched my German roots, which means websites have come and gone and I'm not up to speed ab out what is available

However, I found this GEDBAS (Equivalent to gedcom) website extremely helpful  for both giving an idea of who is researching (and found) my ancestry.  I also used it to just enter a village name and every personal surname being researched in that village was listed in the results. which gives an idea of location of relatives.

https://gedbas.genealogy.net/?lang=en

I see the Christopher Stoepel GEOGEN website shows your surname was found in only a few places in mainland Europe.  There was no country named Germany in the time period you're researching and it seems he may have lived in the British Kingdom of Hannover (Neidersachsen) which had been given to the Scottish King James VI in exchange for the hand of his granddaughter Sophie.
http://geogen.stoepel.net/

https://geogen.stoepel.net/legacy.html?q=Almeroth

The religion in that part of the world was either Catholic but mainly Ev. Lutheran.  The Ev. Lutheran church records are excellent.  For example only oner of my ancestor's children was baptised in a British Lutheran church.  It didn't just state the child's name but also who the child was named in favour of (her grandmother and the place in Kingdom of Hanover where grandmother lived - yippee). The custom at that time being the child's name is nearest the surname the 2 or 3 previous given names are names of godparents (some being relatives).  I see that the London Metropolitan Archives catalogue shows there is one church book dated from 1688 

https://search.lma.gov.uk/scripts/mwimain.dll?logon&application=UNION_VIEW&language=144&file=[WWW_LMA]home.html

It's unfortunate that a few wars have destroyed many records.  The Germanic people used to records in triplicate.  Anyone who wanted to leave their area had to apply for permission.  A notice would be nailed to the village/town hall door stating the family wanted to leave and anyone who had objections should come forward. People who secretly sneaked away (Auswanderer) would have their names listed in the newspapers.  Apparently every time they crossed into and out of any little principality or state there would be a record in triplicate.  Vicars were required to make a list each year of boys who would reach their 20th birthday in that year.  Those boys would then be conscripted into the navy/army.

My German ancestors used the same naming pattern for their children, which made it very easy to find Germany families ;  e.g. First sone named after father's father and as my English born grandmother was the 2nd daughter she was named after her father's mother, Solphia who lived near Salzgitter., Kingdom of Hanover (Germany)

Best Wishes,
Rena in England
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline geocmoore

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 May 21 17:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.  I'm sure those references will be very useful. 

I'm not sure which German surname you reference, unless it is Herre?

Johann Martin Herre was from Zillhausen, Balingen, Wuerttemberg and immigrated to the Americas via Philadelphia in 1749.  At least that's true, based on these attachments, and Ev. Lutheran records of his marriage and births of three children.  The spouse and children match the US records in MD, where he settled.  The English version attached is an abstract of the German Text Version, which is an abstract of the 1765-1770 records.

I am in the process of getting images of all the 1765-1770 records from HStAStuttgart@la-bw.de (Stuttgart Archives).  I hope I can read it!!

Best,
George.

Offline geocmoore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 14 May 21 17:40 BST (UK) »
Note the English version says he was asked to pay the tax.  The German version from which the English version was abstracted doesn't say that.

I recently did an analysis of an abstract done about 1920 of court records from Augusta County VA, (which used to be huge, before it was carved up).  As useful as it was, it also had notable errors, when compared to the original.

Best,
George.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 14 May 21 17:46 BST (UK) »
Congratulations, but I was looking at the other surname, which showed up as being quite common in Leipzig.

Regards,
Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline geocmoore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 14 May 21 17:48 BST (UK) »
Sassler?  Tritt?  Guier?  Epley? Another?

Online sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 14 May 21 18:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the Almeroth references, Rena.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017