Author Topic: Did Ely NESS have 2 legal wives ?  (Read 3784 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Was Ely NESS a bigamist ?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 28 March 21 21:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sandra
Another gem

I really meant where did you find the information about Ely NESS dodgy Japan deals

A contact on Ancestry who knew the NESS family  thinks he may have been involved in a ring or organisation to smuggle Jewish people into USA.
She can't find any evidence of Ella in Connecticut either

But I doubt the marriage to Ella could have been one of convenience as he made several journeys with her starting in 1926 from Manchester

Ancestry document.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Did Ely NESS have 2 legal wives ?
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 28 March 21 22:38 BST (UK) »
I ll take another look for that .

I didn't find any connections to Max NESS  but there are some DNA matches with Jacob David Shapiro and Others with SHAFFER s of similar ages  living in Texas .

I thought it was interesting that Ella's address on naturalization document was Hamilton Hotel
And that she was described as being Swiss nationality

Wasn't expecting a physical description too
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 28 March 21 23:18 BST (UK) »
Rough translation [I HATE legalistic Spanish].  Basically, Ely presented his marriage license/certificate to the Mexican authorities to have it recognized in Mexico.  I've broken the document up into paragraphs to make it more understandable.  I don't know why there isn't full data for Ely.  I gave up in the last paragraph.  [Sorry].

In Mérida, at 8 o/c in the morning [crossed out and amended to 16 hours and 40 minutes] on 25 [crossed out and amended to 20] of September 1924 Mr. Ely Ness, 47 years old, married, merchant, temporarily in this city and resident in the city of New York, appeared before me, José Evaristo Iturralde, General Director of the State Civil Registry and Official of the Capital Branch presenting a duly legalized certificate as proof of his marriage to Mrs. Bessie Fellman, 40 years of age,  ??? in the city of Brooklyn, NY, United States on 26 January 1913 and requesting that, in accordance with articles 135 of the ??? Code and 55 of the Civil Code reformed by decrees number 331 and 332 of 2 April 1923, this certificate which, faithfully translated by Mr.  Benturo? Ríos Franco reads as follows:

"New York State Department of Health, Bureau of Demographic Statistics, Marriage License, This certificate permits any person authorized by the law to celebrate marriages in the State of New York [blah, blah, blah] to perform the rites of marriage between Ely Ness of Brooklyn, Kings County, NY and Bessie Fellman of Brooklyn, Kings County, NY and to deliver under his signature and official ministerial seal that the subjects are those referred to in this certificate.  All of the data transcribed here and subscribed by me are true and correct as [they] appear in the statements made to me by [can't  read this bit - page cut off] .......

.....  marriage:  First.  Previous spouse or spouses, living or dead:  None.  Is the subject divorced:  No.  Name:  Bessie Fellman.  Color:  White.  Residence:  260 ?? Street.  Age:  30 years.  Occupation:  Seamstress.  Birth place:  ?? Russia.  Father's name:  Lazar.  Birth place:  [cut off].  Mother's name:  Augusta Landeman?  Birth place:  [cut off].

Number of marriage:  First.  Previous spouse or spouses, living or dead:  None.  Is the subject divorced:  No. 

Marriage Certificate
I, David Shapiro, Rabi, residing at 173 Floyd Street in Kings County, NY, certify that on 26 January 1913 in the city of Brooklyn, Kings County, NY I have performed the marriage of Ely Ness of Brooklyn, Kings County, NY and Bessie Fellman of Brooklyn, Kings County, NY in the presence of Max Ness and [cut off] Shaffer as witnesses, the license for which is [I can't make this bit out].  Present:  Max Ness, y ? Shaffer.  -  David Shapiro, 173 Floyd Street, Brooklyn, NY."

....  in the Consulate of Mexico in the city of New York, signed by Alberto Mascareños? and dated 3 September 1924.  Signed by the translator of [cut off]:  Benturo Ríos Franco, single, lawyer and Edilberto? Banerdo?, merchant, both of full age and blah, blah, blah .....

Ely Ness                            José Iturralde
B. Ríos Franco                   Edilberto Banerdo?
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 28 March 21 23:20 BST (UK) »
I didn't find the dodgy deal document
But I looked up publications on ancestry and found a lovely article 1937 about his daughter.pearls engagement

With a photo
It describes her parents as Bessie Ness of Tupper lake and Ely NESS of Mexico and says that Pearl had studied in Mexico

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 28 March 21 23:24 BST (UK) »
Posted same time
Many thanks  Errato

That is fantastic the date of marriage was correct and her mother was known as Augusta landsman

So it's a translation of the marriage record  could be in order for him to divorce .

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 28 March 21 23:28 BST (UK) »
Ps Bessie had worked in clothing industry before marriage

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Was Ely NESS a bigamist ?
« Reply #24 on: Monday 29 March 21 15:06 BST (UK) »
Yes that's the naturalization petition
She says she is married but where is the evidence +# I hadn't actually seen that there was a date and place given

If he did  marry Ella in 1924

First    Last    First    Last        Date Married       City Married
ELY   NESS   ELLA   ESSINGER   1924-11-06   GREENWICH

https://www.ctatatelibrarydata.org/marriage-records/

=================
You can order a copy of the marrige cerificate for $20.

https://portal.ct.gov/DPH/Vital-Records/Marriage-and-Civil-Union-Certificates

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 29 March 21 17:20 BST (UK) »
  RJ well found thanks

So ..

he got married in June 1924 but needed a translation of his first marriage in September .of same year

I wonder why .
I won't get the certificate as I have information about their parents occupation and Ella's first husband

I have a hard enough time ordering British certificates

Is that GREENWICH Connecticut Usa or could it be another Greenwich ?

I followed up the ESSINGER connection I little bit because it was the surname of my mother's best friend .her husband lost all his family in the Holocaust !

Ely must have stayed close to his children as he was with the family in 1925 Census ....where was his new bride and her 7 year old daughter Ann ESSINGER ?

His eldest daughter studied in Mexico
And his eldest son Lew Perez NESS married and had children there .

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 29 March 21 18:04 BST (UK) »

So ..

he got married in June 1924 but needed a translation of his first marriage in September .of same year

These are records are in American date format. He got married in November.  Date would be November 6, 1924

This was in Greenwich, Connecticut