Author Topic: Did George Marley & Jane Chisholm marry in Switzerland?  (Read 646 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Did George Marley & Jane Chisholm marry in Switzerland?
« on: Sunday 28 March 21 18:56 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help out with offering advice on how to find a potential marriage of a George Marley and Jane Chisholm.  They are the ancestors of an 'in law' of mine and another descendant has told my in law that that the above couple are believed to have married in Switzerland.  They lived in and had their children in the North East of England and no marriage can be found for them in this country. 
It is thought that the marriage may have occurred between April 1881 (Jane was apparently single on the census and George a widower) and November 1881 when their first child George Ernest Marley was born in Newcastle upon Tyne.
Can any proof be found of a marriage for them in Switzerland?  Or can someone advise how to find out if a marriage was registered in Switzerland as believed?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance of any help.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Svenja

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kreszentia Beinberger
    • View Profile
Re: Did George Marley & Jane Chisholm marry in Switzerland?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 March 21 20:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

If  you want to find a marriage record in Switzerland you need to know in which place and canton this marriage took place.
Civil registry offices were introduced in Switzerland in the year 1875, so you will only find churchbooks before 1875 online.
A first step could be to search the e-newspaper archives (but still not all newspapers from all cantons are online there).

https://www.e-newspaperarchives.ch/?l=en

Regards
Svenja
Switzerland + USA: Iten, Letter, Besmer, Mathis, Meier, Schwager, Eisenring
Germany/Bavaria: Beinberger, Painberger, Schleich, Pfeiffer, Weber, Schelle
Germany/Bavaria: Boeck, Rauch, Pracht, Sporer, Schorer, Mahler, Grotz
Germany/Franken: Weidner, Reuss, Beifuss, Trenkert, Drenkert, Drenkart
Germany/Jewish: Bachmann, Bamberger, Straus(s), Kraus(s), Lehmann, Gutmann
I can read and write German, English and French.
I can translate from Italian and Latin to the above languages.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 March 21 01:00 BST (UK) »
I notice she is Jane C Marley - presumably the C is for Chisholm which may (or may not) be an indication they never married

Why go to Switzerland to marry when you live so close to Scotland  ;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 March 21 01:28 BST (UK) »
If George and Jane were uncle and niece then it was not legal for them to marry.

Debra  :)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 March 21 07:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for all replies.

I have since checked FamilySearch and it looks like a G. Marley born in Switzerland was an immigrant to America in 1880.  I am now wondering if what the mentioned descendant was told about a Switzerland marriage is a red herring.  ???

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVPN-N9BG

In light of things now, I am wondering if this thread ought to be transferred to Northumberland? ???

Uncle and Niece!!  :o Yes, I have just had a chance to check the census and you are right, Dundee - when Jane was living with George this does seem to have been the case.
I don't know at this point if she was the niece via one of his siblings or Martha his deceased first wife.  Jane appears to have conflicting places of birth on the census and I do not yet know her origins.

If it turns out that Jane was the niece of his wife Martha and no bloodline relation of George would this still have been illegal for them to have married?
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 March 21 07:56 BST (UK) »

FreeBDM    JunQ 1863 Vol 10b  page 345
MARLEY Martha     marr.  MARLEY George

GRO birth   1854 DecQ  Morpeth  Vol 10b  page 209
CHISHOLM Jane    mm. ROBINSON

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 March 21 08:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for this wivenhoe  - so it looks like Jane would have been the niece through a sister of Martha.  I do wonder if this might have been illegal or not as suggested by Dundee.  (Typo above I think as Martha Robinson married George - I am sure that is what you meant)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 March 21 08:25 BST (UK) »

When and where did the first wife die.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 March 21 08:41 BST (UK) »
I presume this might be Martha's death on freebmd Sep quarter 1871 Newcastle upon Tyne?