Author Topic: Dating a series of (possibly Stott family) photographs [5/5]  (Read 529 times)

Offline phenocryst

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dating a series of (possibly Stott family) photographs [5/5]
« on: Sunday 28 March 21 19:16 BST (UK) »
Here's the last of the five old photographs we've found in a family collection. We know nothing about them except what's visible on the scans, and the fact that they're probably inherited from Stott ancestors from the north west of England. I'd like to get your ideas on dates, please, and any other information you can glean that might be useful.

Probably not much extra to get from this one. The woman appears to be the same one as in the previous photograph, and about the same age.

I've done some digging though and discovered a bit of family lore. Apparently these weren't taken in Chicago. The photographer was from Chicago, but made an annual visit from there to the UK, where he worked out of my g.g.grandfather's shop in Nelson, Lancashire. We believe the man in the photos 3 & 4 is him; the woman in 4 & 5 is my g.g.grandmother, and the girl in 3 is my g.grandmother. Photos 1 & 2 are still a mystery.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dating a series of (possibly Stott family) photographs [5/5]
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 March 21 22:29 BST (UK) »
This is 1890s.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline phenocryst

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 19:21 BST (UK) »
This is 1890s.
Carol

Then that makes the previous one - https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=846588.0 - 1890s as well, since it appears to be the same woman at the same age.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 22:31 BST (UK) »
I this one is earlier, the other one is Edwardian, but most likely to be the same lady.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 April 21 06:41 BST (UK) »
It's Interesting that Schmidt  used his Chicago picture frames was he related to the STOTT FAMILY

I always assumed the mountings would be helpful for origins in this case it would be deceptive
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 April 21 06:46 BST (UK) »
I would say there's not a great age difference between the two photos

I wonder if the man's pose had any significance ...reminiscent  of explorers or pioneers
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson