Author Topic: Sarah (Beck) and Alexander Gibson  (Read 629 times)

Offline Megedith

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah (Beck) and Alexander Gibson
« on: Sunday 28 March 21 22:11 BST (UK) »
Sarah and Alexander Gibson married in Dromore, Down, Ireland in 1858 and moved to Calton, Glasgow.  Their daughter Sarah Mitchell Gibson was born in 1869 in Dromore and son Alexander in Calton in 1864.  William b 1860 in Dromore, and John b 1862 in Dromore moved to Bolton, Lancashire, around 1880.  Sarah died in Calton in 1872 aged around 37.  What happened to Alexander senior, Alexander junior and Sarah Mitchell Gibson?  I can find to trace of them after the 1871 census, although I may have found Alexander senior living as a lodger in Argyle Street, Dalziel on the 1891 census as a Plasterer's labourer.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah (Beck) and Alexander Gibson
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 March 21 22:41 BST (UK) »
Sarah Mitchell Gibson died age 3 in 1871?

SARAH MITCHELL GIBSON

644/4 365
Calton (Glasgow)

Above cert is on SP site.

Is this the mother Sarah just two entries above?

SARAH GIBSON

WATSON
644/4 871
Calton (Glasgow)
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 March 21 23:28 BST (UK) »
Their marriage in 1858?

Marriage of ALEXANDER GIBSON and SARAH BECK
on 28 August 1858

Edit: Never mind I can see that its now on the dates you gave for Sarah

In case others are looking for the marriage cert:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/4aab773275021?b=https%3A%2F%2Fcivilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie%2Fchurchrecords%2Fcivil-perform-search.jsp%3Fnamefm%3Dsarah%26namel%3Dbeck%26location%3D%26yyfrom%3D%26yyto%3D%26type%3DB%26type%3DM%26submit%3DSearch

Offline Megedith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 March 21 00:40 BST (UK) »
Wow, that was really quick how you found this info.   Yes, that must be Sarah, aged 3, but what is SP?  Sarah the mother was Sarah Watson before marriage.  I don't think the William is the correct one though as my William was a painter when he arrived in Bolton around 1880, and I think died there, although he could have retrained and moved to Lunesdale in Morecambe.  I haven't found a definite trail for William after 1881.  Thank you for finding me Sarah Mitchell Gibson's passing though.

Offline Megedith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 March 21 00:42 BST (UK) »
Mr Sarah was Beck before marriage, her mother was Sarah Watson before marriage so we do have the right Sarah!

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 March 21 00:48 BST (UK) »
SP is Scotland's People website. It's an online searchable repository of births, deaths and marriages.That one was really basic just search for Sarah Mitchell Gibson. I actually was searching for the mother Sarah Gibson when I saw it.

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk  (its good to become a free member then the site opens up)

Yes it's sad she passed away so young.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 March 21 02:21 BST (UK) »
There was a marriage in Calton of an Alexander Gibson several years after the death year of Sarah Beck...but it's hard to say it is the right Alexander. There are a great many Alexander Gibsons in the records.

Surname   Forename   Spouse Surname   Spouse Forename   Year   Ref   RD Name   Image View

ALEXANDER GIBSON

ANNE ANGUS
644/4 107
Calton (Glasgow)

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 March 21 02:43 BST (UK) »
On the 1858 marriage cert of Sarah Beck and Alexander Gibson it says both their fathers were named John and both were weavers. Vast majority of records are farmers and so were the ones for John Beck...but I did find him I believe.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1886/06263/4793835.pdf

And this I believe is the passing of John Gibson -weaver (his widow Elizabeth present)

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1889/06154/4758344.pdf