Author Topic: Thrilling discovery in Old Georgian Townhouse, North Shields  (Read 1665 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thrilling discovery in Old Georgian Townhouse, North Shields
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 08:07 BST (UK) »
I think this would be a great idea to for these servants' rooms to be accessed as part of the Heritage Opening Day events.  I would imagine this sounds well possible, if these events do go ahead again this year.  Totally agree with your idea of dropping a few pebbles to try to achieve this, Mowsehowse.

The article just seems to suggest that this hasn't been accessed for 'many years'.  I think you could well be right, Dave, judging by the old office items that this might have been as recent as the 1980s.  Perhaps whoever had access then  had no appreciation of history and didn't understand the value and importance of the maps or the quarters.

And what is that on the mantlepiece?  I think there is an old book on the left hand corner. 
I wonder if there will make reproductions of the maps soon.  I would imagine the originals will go to Tyne and Wear Archives.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline knotin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 21:25 BST (UK) »
On the 1861 census Northumberland Place went up to No. 5, the next properties were known as Northumberland Square, where a distant relative of mine resided at No. 18 Northumberland Square. She was recorded as a widow by the name of Sarah Wilson Ffrance.  She was also known by her maiden name of Sarah Aiston,  but I have not found any evidence of a marriage. Sarah's father John was a Waterman at North Shields.
Her "husband" - Robert Wilson Ffrance, a barrister, late of Rawcliffe Hall in Lancashire, 18 Northumberland Square, North Shields and Ballochmorie House, Ayrshire died on 21 October 1859 at Woods Hotel, Furnival's Inn, London. His Will and 2 Codicils made sure Sarah and  son Robert John Barton Aiston/Ffrance were well provided for
 On the 1861 census she is living with her son Robert and brother William Aiston. A Sarah Symon aged 15 from Scotland was visiting. There were also servants - John Slater Batensby - coachman; Ann Scott - cook; Margaret Cummings - nursery governess  and Elizabeth Paste - housemaid.

I hope this information adds some more interest to the house. As to the history of this family, it makes for fascinating reading, son Robert inheriting Rawcliffe Hall and being known as the 'Mad Squire'

No. 18 would certainly make an interesting "House through time" project discovering who else lived there.

Knotin

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 09:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for this post Knotin, it is very interesting to hear about some of the people who once occupied this house.   Undoubtedly, this would certainly make for a fascinating 'house through time' project.  :)
When thinking about the history of North Shields it is strange to think how the rich and poor lived in quite close vicinity to each other.  The well to do living in this Square were once only a couple of minutes walk from the Tynemouth Workhouse, beside Christ Church.

I daresay all the houses in this Square, will have interesting stories behind them.  I know one which is very close to the library has two blue plaques (7 Nothumberland Square) .. sadly, two sons of the family, Edwin Brown and his brother were both killed on the same day serving in WW1.  His photo is up on the Local Heritage Trail board which is in the Square and is also on this website:

http://northumbriaworldwarone.co.uk/northumbria-ww1-project-database/

and this one:

http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=11853

I tend to think that if they create another history board in the future 18 Northumberland Square will surely feature on it.  :)

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 07 August 21 15:55 BST (UK) »
An update - I have come across a slim reference volume entitled 'My Life and Times' by J. W. Munby at North Shields Local Studies.  Apparently, he had been born in this house on Thursday, 20  January 1920.
This looks like  a fascinating read and he describes the rooms of his childhood home  quite vividly and in great detail.
This might be of interest to anyone wanting to know more on the background of this distinguished town house.
Added: Yikes, actually I think I have made a mistake and J. W. Munby was born at 16 Northumberland Square not 18. :-[  Still a fascinating read though regarding his detailed recall of his home.