Author Topic: Pontyberem Pubs  (Read 3479 times)

Offline Louise Philp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pontyberem Pubs
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 11:04 BST (UK) »
Most helpful. Thank you  :)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 21 April 21 20:01 BST (UK) »
My pleasure.

Just for reference I note you have Margaret treharne (who married John Thomas of the Pelican) parents as ‘Private” and Sage Thomas. I think this is incorrect. I have Sage in my tree marrying a William Treharne in 1811 after Margaret was born (1808, Llanstephan). I think the more like parents are Thomas and Mary Treharne with a baptism recorded in Llanstephan on 10 Jan 1808, though this early it is difficult to say for certain.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/62102/images/004226477_00037?backurl=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ancestry.co.uk%2Fcgi-bin%2Fsse.dll%3Fdbid%3D62102%26gsfn%3DMargaret%26gsln%3DTreharne%26cp%3D0%26msbdy%3D1808%26msppn__ftp%3Dllansteffan%252c%2Bcarmarthenshire%252c%2Bwales%252c%2Bunited%2Bkingdom%26msppn%3D1651533%26hc%3D20%26new%3D1%26rank%3D1%26uidh%3Dzq3%26redir%3Dfalse%26msT%3D1&backlabel=ReturnSearchResults&queryId=d10493ab0adad36a80c2e7a5f49aa5e9&pid=599010

A possible marriage is Thomas Treharne to Mary Hugh on 13 Sep 1804 in Llanstephan

Offline Louise Philp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 23 April 21 08:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy, I knew from Margaret Treharne's marriage to John Thomas, that her father was William Treharne, a mason from Llanstephan. I am fairly certain that I have the right parentage for her now - William Treharne (1777-1865) and Mary Davies (1777-1855). They were married in 1803 and had a daughter Margaret in 1805. He was a mason, living at Morfa Fach in Llanstephan. Of Margaret's siblings, her brother William followed on in his father's footsteps as a mason in Llanstephan and her brother David died in 1893 while at the Masons Arms.
Something else of interest that I turned up was that Thomas Vaughan's first wife, Jane Davies, died at Pontantwyn Farm in Llangendeirne in 1817 and his first daughter, Mary Vaughan, by his second wife, Margaret Treharne, was born at Pontantwyn Farm in 1825. So Thomas Vaughan was a farmer prior to becoming an innkeeper in 1835.

Offline Louise Philp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 29 April 21 07:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Roy, Just as a matter of interest:-
Maria Thomas, first wife of John Skym of Bankyberllan, was at Mansel's Arms at the time of their marriage in 1843. In the 1841 Census, she is working at Mansel's Arms which shows up as being right next to Bankyberllan.

1841 Wales Census
Mansel Arms, Llanarthney, Carmarthenshire
John Jones   35   Publican      All born in County except for Thomas Cook
Lettice Do   35
David Do   1
William Davies   15   Ag Servant
Maria Thomas   15   F S
David Samuel   55   Agent
Thomas Cook   55   Carrier
Margret Cook   55   

I wonder if it is significant that John Skym's mother was also a Jones - as in John Jones being the Publican of Mansel's Arms in 1841?
Louise

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 29 April 21 18:38 BST (UK) »
A possibility but impossible to say for certain

Offline SamJP

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 05 August 21 17:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy,
I am the current landlady of New Lodge Inn & have some information.
The land was leased from the church by Seth Morgan in 1876 to build a public house & dwelling which is the middle part of the pub as it stands today with the original cellar drop outside. Over the next few years he added a cottage on each side & built the stables, club house and lodgings which still stand today. Back then a steam ran between the two buildings.
1881 Census
New Lodge Inn
Seth Morgan 34
Letisia Morgan 44
Mary Ann Jones step daughter 20
John Jones step son 12
David jones  "      "  10
Thomas Morgan 5
Letisia Morgan 4

1891 census
Seth Morgan
Letisia Morgan
Mary Ann Jones
David Jones coal miner
Thomas Morgan coal miner
Letisia Morgan

In 1895 Thomas Morgan (19) keeper of New Lodge Inn, Pontyberem was charged with being in possession of unjust measures (too big) and obstructing an inspector whilst discharging his duty.

in 1898 Seth Morgan sold all the buildings to Buckleys Brewery.

1901 Census
New Lodge inn
John Aubrey 53 publican & shopkeeper
Mary Aubrey 47    "                  "
Ann Hunt 25 daughter
Sidney Hunt  grandson 3
Daniel Aubrey 23 colliery engineer
John Aubrey 14
David Aubrey 11
William Aubrey 8
Diana Aubrey 2
Mary ?  20 domestic servant

!911 Census
New lodge Inn
John Aubrey 62 colliery repairs
Mary Aubrey 56
Ann Hunt 35 housekeeper
Sidney Hunt 14 school
Daniel Aubrey 32 Clerk in Holy Order
John Aubrey 24 student
David Aubrey 22 colliery fitter
William Aubrey 17
Diana Aubrey 12 school
Henry Davies 40 boarder colliery worker
Jane Jenkins 16 domestic  servant

New Lodge Stores
Mrs R Watkins 49 grocer
Mabel Davies 6 boarder

New Lodge Store & private house
Elizabeth Davies 42 widow housekeeper
David R Davies son  grocer
Annie May Davies daughter 13 school

I'm not sure how long the Aubrey's lived at New Lodge Inn. I know they were still there in 1916 when their youngest William died & John Aubrey died in 1921.

The stream was diverted in 1925 and and we have proposed plans from 1962 converting the upstairs into one residence but still with one cottage downstairs on the righthand side (shop?). I don't know if this ever happened, it is all one building upstairs and now. The building was extended in 1973 & 1977 and Buckley's sold it to Jim in 1987 but I know he had been the landlord for many years by then.
I'd love to know if anyone has more information to fill in the gaps.

Regards
Sam

Offline TheFancy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 04 August 22 12:21 BST (UK) »
Hello
I own the land where the Fancy is, it was a small hamlet of 4 or 5 cottages which had the Tavern nearby which is also on my land. A herbalist also lived at the Fancy cottage and in a building known as the Library which was clad  with corrugated iron and had a raised glass roof. The locals would often visit to buy various medications and lotions from Daniel Jones. His mother was the last person to live in the Fancy hamlet/cottage. There was a bandstand in the garden too. The 'parch' John Jones was born at the Ffansi.
I am trying to find out as much information as I can about the Fancy. The Fancy had beautiful gardens and won at shows with them, winning first prize for dahlias at Pontyberem agricultural show, I can't recall the year.
I have found a various bottles around the grounds.

Offline Olwen Moseley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 10 August 22 07:28 BST (UK) »
Hello, I’m new on here. I came across a 1841 census return for the Plough and Harrow, Llanelly parish. HO 107/1379/7
Listing Thomas Lewis 25 Publican, wife Jane Lewis 30,  and a Hannah Davies 25 FS(?) (my interest as is the name as mother to a David Davies on a baptism record for 1848 in Llangyndeirne, father recorded as my direct ancestor Humphrey Meyrick, father of other illegitimate children in the area.

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 13 August 22 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy,
I am the current landlady of New Lodge Inn & have some information.
The land was leased from the church by Seth Morgan in 1876 to build a public house & dwelling which is the middle part of the pub as it stands today with the original cellar drop outside. Over the next few years he added a cottage on each side & built the stables, club house and lodgings which still stand today. Back then a steam ran between the two buildings.
1881 Census
New Lodge Inn
Seth Morgan 34
Letisia Morgan 44
Mary Ann Jones step daughter 20
John Jones step son 12
David jones  "      "  10
Thomas Morgan 5
Letisia Morgan 4

1891 census
Seth Morgan
Letisia Morgan
Mary Ann Jones
David Jones coal miner
Thomas Morgan coal miner
Letisia Morgan

In 1895 Thomas Morgan (19) keeper of New Lodge Inn, Pontyberem was charged with being in possession of unjust measures (too big) and obstructing an inspector whilst discharging his duty.

in 1898 Seth Morgan sold all the buildings to Buckleys Brewery.

1901 Census
New Lodge inn
John Aubrey 53 publican & shopkeeper
Mary Aubrey 47    "                  "
Ann Hunt 25 daughter
Sidney Hunt  grandson 3
Daniel Aubrey 23 colliery engineer
John Aubrey 14
David Aubrey 11
William Aubrey 8
Diana Aubrey 2
Mary ?  20 domestic servant

!911 Census
New lodge Inn
John Aubrey 62 colliery repairs
Mary Aubrey 56
Ann Hunt 35 housekeeper
Sidney Hunt 14 school
Daniel Aubrey 32 Clerk in Holy Order
John Aubrey 24 student
David Aubrey 22 colliery fitter
William Aubrey 17
Diana Aubrey 12 school
Henry Davies 40 boarder colliery worker
Jane Jenkins 16 domestic  servant

New Lodge Stores
Mrs R Watkins 49 grocer
Mabel Davies 6 boarder

New Lodge Store & private house
Elizabeth Davies 42 widow housekeeper
David R Davies son  grocer
Annie May Davies daughter 13 school

I'm not sure how long the Aubrey's lived at New Lodge Inn. I know they were still there in 1916 when their youngest William died & John Aubrey died in 1921.

The stream was diverted in 1925 and and we have proposed plans from 1962 converting the upstairs into one residence but still with one cottage downstairs on the righthand side (shop?). I don't know if this ever happened, it is all one building upstairs and now. The building was extended in 1973 & 1977 and Buckley's sold it to Jim in 1987 but I know he had been the landlord for many years by then.
I'd love to know if anyone has more information to fill in the gaps.

Regards
Sam

Hello

Thanks. Somehow missed his first time around. As Seth never lists himself as a Publican then without your knowledge then I wouldn’t have known this. Although not closely related I have both Seth and John Aubrey in my tree, John being the brother in law of my 2nd great grand uncle.