Author Topic: Diary > Sunday 28th March  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Sunday 28th March
« on: Monday 29 March 21 09:24 BST (UK) »
Woke up late and with the clocks going forward it was very late. Logged on for my usual Rootschat fix, was disappointed that the site was down but it wasn't too long before it was fixed. Although I don't know how long it had been off while I was still in the land of nod. Dragged myself up and eventually rallied round, by the time I went for a walk it was lunchtime but I wasn't hungry, the change of time playing havoc with my body clock. It was quite bright and milder but windy, walked through the woods where the wind was soughing through the trees. Buds are starting to appear on the trees, another welcome sign of spring.

It was too windy for gardening, decided to do some more housework that I won't want to do if the weather forecast is right for the coming week, it's  forecast much warmer on some days. I also wanted to try and finish my painting, I played back the recording of the last art class to remind me of what the teacher had advised. Was waiting for a parcel with my new ultrasonic cat scarer, it arrived late afternoon and I put it together then put it in the garden.

Breaded some cod for tea, I have been buying loin because I like the thick parts but I must say the fillet had more taste. Had some ready prepared sweet potato fries that I'd decided to try, they were just okay, I won't be buying them again. Can't freeze them so will have to eat the other half soon. I tried making my own once, they weren't a success.

Watched last week's episode of Line of Duty, ten minutes into it I was thinking that I could do with with a dictionary of abbreviations. The second episode now awaits me
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Sunday 28th March
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 March 21 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hope our electric clock that runs on Australian time doesn't start altering by itself again like it did last year!!

Very happy to have arranged a couple of meet up sessions for later in the week, with the Morris group, (in 2 halves,) to see if we can still move to the music.

Line of Duty is hotting up.....
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 March 21 09:50 BST (UK) »
MH has started a Sunday diary thread too. It’s been a while since we had a double up.  ;D

As it looks like Roobarb was first by a couple of minutes I will reply here.

Not much to report on my Sunday. Had daughter No1 and boyfriend over for lunch. The other one wasn’t feeling too well. I think she is run down - probably not eating properly.

It’s actually my Monday evening as I write this - we have been put into a three day snap lockdown starting at 5pm.

There are four covid cases currently in the community, and another six in hotel quarantine (so not counted).

I think they are being cautious, giving themselves a chance to do some tracing, and only giving three days lockdown in the hope that people can still have their Easter break. I feel sorry for anyone who has booked an Easter holiday and may it be able to go if lockdown is extended(though I can’t really understand the attraction of going away for Easter - it’s far too busy everywhere.)

We shall see how it all goes.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 March 21 10:02 BST (UK) »
Yes, sorry, I didn't notice that Roobarb had already started, I have asked for them to be merged.
I didn't have any interesting observations anyway.  ;)

Ruskie, I do hope that Easter won't be in jeopardy for you all..... I'm guessing your track and trace system is efficient enough to get on top of possible contacts to be tested.
In the Uk we still had 35,000+ positive tests last week, and with no effective track and trace, I dread to imagine how the figures will be looking by the time the children return to school after the Easter holidays.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline mrcakey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 March 21 10:16 BST (UK) »
Houghton - Lancashire, inc. Manchester
Robertson - Angus
Collinge - Yorkshire, Lancashire, USA
Nedderman - Lancashire
Lane/Fryer - Kent

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 March 21 12:21 BST (UK) »
Brilliant! There's a Google result for everything!  ;D ;D ;D   Thank you mrcakey. (It was the CHIS one that really had me confused).

Hope your outbreak is sorted for Easter Ruskie.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 March 21 13:30 BST (UK) »
I agree about the acronyms in the first episode of Line of Duty - very confusing. Things are clarified a bit in the second episode I think.  :)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 March 21 15:48 BST (UK) »
Put all the clocks forward before going to bed just to make sure I didn’t get confused! I’m easily confused 😂😂
Having had a good nights sleep I woke early..or was it late who knows!
Tried to log onto RC only to find the error code but strangely enough you could log into the chat room so I did so briefly then decided to send a message to Trystan & Sarah to see what was happening.... I got a reply saying it was the clocks going forward for some reason causing a glitch...
Wow who would have thought so many of us were bereft with not being able to log in... just goes to show how much we enjoy it/ need it or just have lots of friends!
My friend C who fell over the leaf blower messaged me to see if I could take up some trousers for her so popped up the lane and proceeded to do them... when I had my factory we had machines that did everything especially twin needle hems... how I miss it... my domestic machine will do it but not in the same way and it definitely didn’t like the thin modal fabric... so took me longer than I expected and was ready to throw the machine out of the window definitely 😤😤coming out of my ears.... all done and popped them back, she couldn’t believe how quickly I’d done them 😱..... not my best sewing but she was happy as she can get them over her splint and only going to wear them at home...
After that we had a very lazy day... terrible this lounging around reading papers, playing scrabble... got soundly beaten....
Not much else to report...
Dinner was roast chicken with all the trimmings and a couple of glasses of wine..
Watched second Line of Duty... even more confused after this episode... told you I get confused easily....
Watched first one of Keeping Faith.... it’s got a bit rubbishy .. couldn’t remember how the last series ended so long ago... OH likes it because he likes Faith... and the music...ah well that’s men for you!
Went out like a light goodness knows why as I’ve done nothing!

Hope others managed with out RC first thing and the clocks throwing the system about.. still it was so wonderful not to be shutting the curtains until nearly 7.30pm...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK