Author Topic: Northumberland Arms, Blyth  (Read 1588 times)

Offline Chatty133uk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Northumberland Arms, Blyth
« on: Monday 29 March 21 10:32 BST (UK) »
Hi does anyone know where I can find pictures of the Northumberland Arms Hotel, Blyth from 1905c?
An ancestor, Thomas Doyle, worked here also his death announcement in the paper described him as Circus Proprietor and Innkeeper.
Any info on the Circus?
Thanks

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Northumberland Arms, Blyth
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 March 21 12:11 BST (UK) »
You have mistakenly posted on "How to Use RootsChat board (Please don't post requests here)".

I have asked a moderator to move your request to a more appropriate board where you might find an answer.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 April 21 13:15 BST (UK) »
Internet searches have failed to find an image of the Northumberland Arms which was situated at number 29 Kings Street, Cowpen Quay, Blyth.

A search of local newspapers found a report in the Morpeth Herald published in March 1904 that the license had been transferred to a Peter Cregan. A further search finds a Charles Carlberg taking over the Northumberland Arms in August 1908.

Searching the period between Peter Cregan (in 1904) and Charles Carlberg (in 1908) has failed to find anything that suggests Thomas Doyle was the innkeeper on the Northumberland Arms. What was found was that he was a witness in a trial which was held in early June 1905. The report of the trial concerned the attack against a police constable Messer on the night of the 13th May 1905 and Thomas Doyle had gone to the aid of the policeman. The newspaper, the Morpeth Herald reported that 'Thomas Doyle said he was engaged as a barman at the Northumberland Arms'.

The Morpeth Herald published on the 15th July 1905 reported that the police had presented Thomas Doyle with a silver mounted walking stick for going to the rescue of Constable Messer on the night of the 13th May 1905.

Further searches of local newspapers between July 1905 and Thomas' death in October 1909 have failed to find anything that indicates Thomas was an innkeeper. He may have continued to work as a barman at the Northumberland Arms until his death.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 April 21 01:32 BST (UK) »
The closest I can get is this image dated to 1927.

No.17 was The Fox & Hounds.
No.29 The Northumberland Arms, on the corner with Milburn Street.

I marked 39 to highlight the end of the street.

I hope it helps even if just a little. Give you the feel of where it was in relation to the river and railways.

P

https://maps.nls.uk/view/132279290

Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 April 21 01:47 BST (UK) »
Just to cheer you up, the street was decimated by 1934 as industry took over that area of Cowpen Quay. These days it looks nothing like it once did. King Street is a shadow of its former self, though some old buildings do survive close by the town centre.

The triangle marks the approximate location of The Northumberland Arms.

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 April 21 02:06 BST (UK) »
Regarding the Circus, perhaps he had some involvement with Edith Tudora. She and her husband William had a Circus at Blyth. You can read about it here and scroll through to see images and go on to page 7;

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=663095.45

I hope that is of interest to you.

P

Offline Chatty133uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 April 21 14:22 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thank you very much for the info and photos and the link regarding the Circus. Very interesting.
I hope I'm posting this in the correct place as a moderator had to move my original post...
I do apologise, I'm a bit clueless on this site. Not sure what I'm doing, sorry lol
But thank you for taking the time to reply, much appreciated x

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 April 21 15:48 BST (UK) »
Glad you are back here,Phodgetts, and those last 2 photos you have added are brilliant.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 April 21 00:16 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thank you very much for the info and photos and the link regarding the Circus. Very interesting.
I hope I'm posting this in the correct place as a moderator had to move my original post...
I do apologise, I'm a bit clueless on this site. Not sure what I'm doing, sorry lol
But thank you for taking the time to reply, much appreciated x

Hello and welcome to Rootschat. Don't worry about any mistakes, we realise you are 'new' here. We are a very friendly bunch and none of us bites!

You posted on the 'How to use Rootschat' section, rather than the 'Northumberland' section, so one of the Moderators kindly helped by placing your query in the correct section. No harm done by you. It's all good. Glad you enjoyed the information we have shared with you.

Take care and very best wishes to you

Philip