Author Topic: Group Shared Segments  (Read 1022 times)

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Group Shared Segments
« on: Monday 29 March 21 13:25 BST (UK) »
H Rootschatters,
I am using the MH Browser with my match list.  I am finding that I am getting a the normal coloured lines for the match persons and the triangulation also shows up if there.  but:

I am also getting a bright purple segment/segments showing up in the one-to-many browser. It can be with three or more matches being compared. Sometimes all shown segments are purple others some are coloured  as normal and then some are purple.

If I click on a purple segment it has a box come up the says its a "Group Shared Segment"

It looks like there is a set of segments that are common to the group but are not triangulated. Would this be the correct interpretation.
I have looked online for an explanation but only get triangulated segments info.  help!

Essnell

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Group Shared Segments
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 08:55 BST (UK) »
Could you upload a screenshot with the people's names blanked out?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 10:45 BST (UK) »
When I put the term into MH Help section, this came up:

What does it mean if there are no triangulated segments shared between DNA Matches?
In the Chromosome Browser — One-to-many, sometimes you will see a region of DNA where all colored bars appear, but there is no triangulated segment indicated there. This means you share DNA segments at the same genomic position with multiple DNA Matches, but they do not share that segment with each other.

Triangulated segments are segments that all of the selected DNA Matches share with each other. Every segment between two people is triangulated, but segments that seem to be shared by three or more people are not necessarily triangulated.

If you and one DNA Match share a segment on your maternal chromosome, and you and a different DNA Match share a segment at the same genomic location on the paternal chromosome, those two DNA Matches will likely not share a segment at that genomic location with each other, and they might even be unrelated to each other. In this case, that segment is not triangulated and will not be framed.

This is because each chromosome pair is represented by a simplified single stripe in the Chromosome Browser; there is no graphical differentiation between the chromosome within each pair that was inherited from the mother and the one that was inherited from the father.

I've tried to replicate what you have but, so far, have not got any purple lines.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 20:40 BST (UK) »
If you go onto a match, say today I had an email with a new match, and I clicked on it, and was taken to a page, at the top of which was the match details for me and the new match, below which was a summary of details:- estimated relationship, % DNA shared and cM's, number of shared segments and longest segment.

Then below  that is a list of shared matches, giving details of how much each of you share with each additional match ( good info you don't get from Ancestry).  At the far left of some boxes there is an icon, which has purple lines on it, and I wonder if this is what Essnell is talking about. However this is an icon indicating a triangulated segment, and if you hover over it, it says that.  If you click on the wee arrowhead (part if the icon), you go thru' to a page with more details - basically a chromosome browser showing each chromosome and where you 3 match with each other, and indicating that there is a triangulated segment, and what the details are of the segment.

I wonder if this is what is being talked about?? - definitely purple/mauve lines!

What do you think??

Jane

PS should have also said that on the summary page, below the joint matches you get a basic chromosome browser indicating the segments shared with the primary match, and a comparison of ethnicity between you and the primary match.  A very good summary page for each match, in my opinion.
Allison - Rumford Stirlingshire & Ireland
Quinn - Rumford, Glasgow, Monklands & Tyrone
Convoy - Rumford, Monklands & Tyrone
Burke - Glasgow, Clifden Galway
Duffy - Cleland Lanarkshire, Monklands, Falkirk, Ireland
Curran - Cleland, Ireland
Reynolds - Cleland, Shettleston, Tollcross, Antrim
McDermott - Cleland, Shotts, (London)Derry

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 21:22 BST (UK) »
I had the impression that Essnell was using the Chromosome Browser - One to many rather than the initial listing of all matches.*

I only get the different colours there  The simple listing just has the the purple/mauve where a note has been made.

It might be best if we could have a screen shot, with names erased, as Fleming suggests.

* Add

am also getting a bright purple segment/segments showing up in the one-to-many browser. It can be with three or more matches being compared. Sometimes all shown segments are purple others some are coloured  as normal and then some are purple.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 22:08 BST (UK) »
HI Everyone,

Thankyou for your interest and posts.

First I will try to find the screen shot I sent to another family member. He says he has also seen these. 

Secondly. I was using the One-to-many Chr. Browser. In one instance I had 7 matches up for comparison and some of those had trianglised earlier as per normal.  Then for some reason going back to that mix I got this result where every segment on the image was bright purple. When I point to the segment instead of who it belongs to the message says they are "group shared segments". 

For that to happen it is something they know about otherwise it would not be in the code that controls all of this.

It also appears to be something that does not just happen. The mix of matches must be the key.
Unfortunately I am not replicating the occurrence right now. It is odd because I had this happen with other groups of matches as well. 

I will keep working and when it happens again I will get another Screenshot and post it. I will also try to contact MH support for an answer.

I'll report back with progress. 

Thanks again.
 Essnell.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 22:33 BST (UK) »
Essnell

Now I know that I had interpreted your problem correctly, I'll try with mine every so often and, if I get the purple, I'll do a screen shot of mine too  :)

Gadget

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 08:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget,

Thankyou for trying and helping.

I tried to get a screenshot but didn't get a purple segment so I tried help on MH and I did find an article on Shared Segments which applied to one or two matches  but nothing about Group Shared Segments

I then sent a support ticket to them  explaining the ocurrence. At this point I have not had a reply.

Now I have been searching on the One-to-many and yes, I got another Purple segment .

I am having trouble with getting an image attached here as I cannot save it in an accepted format.  The nearest I can get is .dox. Can I PM this to you please.  I have put the image  with the names blocked out into a document.

Thank you,
Essnell

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 09:17 BST (UK) »
I think it might be better to open it and do a 'save as' -  jpg or pdf is OK here as long as it's under 500kb.If it's a jpg, you can compress it. Also, you could resize it. If it's .docx, it would be in Word format. Can you open it and save as a pdf.

Alternatively, you could use Dropbox or similar and put a link here.