Author Topic: Translation from German to English  (Read 275 times)

Offline alison300

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Translation from German to English
« on: Monday 29 March 21 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hoping someone can translate the Ancestry record below:
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/2958/images/40087_prep150_000080-00234?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&usePUB=true&usePUBJs=true&_ga=2.94613724.1515079948.1616698636-1259281829.1597425789&pId=62014

Its from the Berlin, Germany Deaths record set and it relates to a WW1 soldier, Gunner 31738 Ernest William England who died on 13 or 14 October 1914.  I would attach a jpg but its large and I would have to attach 3 separate images.  Thanks. 

*EDIT - i've just checked the PoW website which states he was last seen at Lille (Mons) and then at Minden, Germany - a quick google says this is a 5-hour drive.  I didn't realise PoWs were transported so far. 
Wright (West Ham, Stratford, Cripplegate)
Widenstrom (Chicago and Minnesota)
Swain (Cripplegate, St Lukes)
Wolfe (St Giles in the Fields)
Willis (Gt. Leighs; Brentford)
Bryant (Bristol, Glos)
Searle (Kent/Surrey)
Keyworth (Yorkshire)
Biggs (Harrow Weald)
Collins (Harrow Weald and Wiltshire)
Langston (Harrow Weald)

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Translation from German to English
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 08:25 BST (UK) »
Berlin, Tempelhof / 14th October 1914

The undersigned registrar received written notification today from the Chief Doctor of the Reservelazarett Zwei Berlin [Reserve Hospital 2 Berlin] in Berlin

that the POW Ernst William England, reservist in the 104th Sötty, Royal Field Artillery Regiment. Labourer before enlisting.
29 years old, unknown religion
resident in Stratford, County Middlesex in England
born in Bow near London in England, married, first and maiden names of his wife are not known

Parents of the deceased are not known

died in Berlin-Tempelhof in the Reservelazarett 2 Berlin
on 13th October 1914 at ten minutes past ten in the afternoon.

Sötty is not an artillery unit, as far as I am aware. I would have though that it should read Bttr = Batterie. Maybe the chief doctor's handwriting wasn't the clearest.

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 13:23 BST (UK) »
Lazarett is a military hospital: I think it can be a temporary one set up in the field, but this one sounds a bit more permanent.  The Germans like to tack on names of suburbs with a hyphen: we would not say "London-Bow" (for example) !
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline alison300

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 17:01 BST (UK) »
sorry for delayed response but THANK YOU both for transcribing this.  I've never come across this record set before so very interesting. 
Wright (West Ham, Stratford, Cripplegate)
Widenstrom (Chicago and Minnesota)
Swain (Cripplegate, St Lukes)
Wolfe (St Giles in the Fields)
Willis (Gt. Leighs; Brentford)
Bryant (Bristol, Glos)
Searle (Kent/Surrey)
Keyworth (Yorkshire)
Biggs (Harrow Weald)
Collins (Harrow Weald and Wiltshire)
Langston (Harrow Weald)