Author Topic: Thomas Pickering, Mary Jane Mackerell, Tamnadace, after 1911  (Read 498 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Thomas Pickering, Mary Jane Mackerell, Tamnadace, after 1911
« on: Monday 29 March 21 18:05 BST (UK) »
Thomas Pickering was born abt. 1848 in Annaghmore (unverified). His father was Francis as per his marriage record to Mary Jane Mackerell Oct 4, 1872 at Castledawson Presbyterian.
I find Thomas and Mary Jane in Tamnadace in 1901 and 19ll  with many unmarried children. In 1901, there is a grandson Stephen Garvin, age 6 and a grandson Joseph Nodwell age 1. In 1911, Thomas, age 60, and Mary Jane have the same children but now they have a son Stephen, age 16, Joseph, age 12, and John age 6. I believe that the grandchildren in 1901 are now claimed as children. I did not find the birth of Stephen but I did find Joseph Pickering's birth in 1900 with mother Annie and John's birth 1905 with mother Annie. I am thinking that all three children belong to Annie, but for sure the youngest two.
But what I am wondering right now, is what happened to Thomas and Mary Jane after 1911. I cannot find any deaths for them. Did they emigrate? Can anyone help with this family?
Also, the father of Thomas is Francis. I think the mother is Mary Brown. But there is a Francis Pickering married to Jane Mills  and all I have for their Thomas is born before 1855 (which fits this Thomas) and died after 1865 (which also fits this Thomas).
Other children for Francis and Mary Brown include Eleanor in 1838 and Isabella in 1840 (alt. date 1843) and William abt 1846.
I have attached the 1901 census but the 1911 is too large. Sorry.
Thanks for any help.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Pickering, Mary Jane Mackerell, Tamnadace, after 1911
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 March 21 19:25 BST (UK) »
But what I am wondering right now, is what happened to Thomas and Mary Jane after 1911. I cannot find any deaths for them.

What about this death for Thomas in 1912?
Married, 58 years and a labourer.....passes away in Grange townland.   #397
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1912/05360/4494460.pdf
https://www.townlands.ie/londonderry/loughinsholin/desertmartin/desertmartin/grange/

1911 census
Residents of a house 21 in Tamnadeese (Magherafelt, Londonderry)
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Magherafelt/Tamnadeese/613727/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 March 21 19:30 BST (UK) »

Possible death for Mary Pickering   :-\

Mary   Pickering   24th October 1922      68      Female   Magherafelt

GRONI https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 March 21 19:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you Kiltaglassan, but I am not sure that is him although the age is close (6 yr out).  One might think his wife or one of his many adult children would be present. Didn't find Mary Jane's death after 1912 as a widow. I did find Mary Ann Pickering which led me to a different branch of the Pickerings.
Oops, I  see new replies. I paid for Mary Jane's death and that is definitely her. So in 1922, she is still married which means that is definitely not Thomas' death in 1912.
That is also Stephen's birth in 1895. Thank you heywood. So  Annie was the mother of all three younger Pickerings on the 1911 Census.
thanks for your help Kiltaglassan and heywood.
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 March 21 20:05 BST (UK) »
I think I have found Thomas' death in 1931. It is in Annaghmore, and Thomas Pickering is present. Doesn't say son but he had a son Thomas who was present at Mary Jane's death and it does say son at her death. Age is a bit out (I would say 8 yr even though I don't have his  baptism) and he is a widower.
Thanks everyone.
Peggy