Author Topic: Matthew Forbes mystery daughter & step-daughter  (Read 3041 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew Forbes mystery daughter & step-daughter
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 20:18 BST (UK) »
Yes, I stumbled across William late last night and have literally just added him to my 'work in progress' tree to see what else it threw up.

Matthew's father was named William, as was his brother (currently still missing), so the combination of the c1827 William Forbes being born in Glasgow, being a tailor, and naming a son Matthew made him a very likely candidate.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 20:21 BST (UK) »
 ::) I think this is William's death index entry:

William FORBES
Age 37
Mother's maiden name STEEL
ref 503/ 88
Row or Rhu

It adds to your view that Matthew Snr was the son of a William perhaps...

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 21:02 BST (UK) »
Willam, Matthew's son, had a first marriage in Greenock to a Grace McKenzie (same surnames keep on popping up). They married on 10 Jul 1842 in West Or Old Parish,Greenock.

They must have gone to England for a while. Whilst there, they had a daughter, Janet Steel Forbes,  in Liverpool (vol 20/pg 485). Janet died in Glasgow in December 1909 (indexed as Janet Steele Forbes). Half brother Thomas Gilmour Forbes registered her death.

4 yr old Janet shows back in Glasgow for 1851, staying with aunt and uncle, Isabella (McKenzie) and husband John McLauchlin.

Monica

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 21:42 BST (UK) »
Blimey... they're coming at me from everywhere now!

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 21:57 BST (UK) »
 ;D....can I add a few more pls  ::)

JEAN HASTIE FORBES - MATTHEW FORBES/JANET STEEL
b. 8 OCTOBER 1832
chr. 28 OCTOBER 1832
GREENOCK ASSOCIATE....this must be Jane that we already have thinking about it...or  Janet?

ELIZABETH WALKINGSHAW FORBES - MATTHEW FORBES/JANET STEEL
b. 16 JUNE 1834
chr. 6 JULY 1834
GREENOCK ASSOCIATE...and this is the one that really helps to firm up Mathew's origins I would say  :)

Monica

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 22:12 BST (UK) »
Do the children's names including middle names match up with the relevant grandparents as per traditional Scots naming system

For example is Janet steel Forbes the second girl in family so named after paternal grandmother

In same way as Margaret Mackenzie Boyd named after her paternal grandmother was it her second son who she named Neil makensie BOYD after her own father .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 00:15 BST (UK) »
;D....can I add a few more pls  ::)

JEAN HASTIE FORBES - MATTHEW FORBES/JANET STEEL
b. 8 OCTOBER 1832
chr. 28 OCTOBER 1832
GREENOCK ASSOCIATE....this must be Jane that we already have thinking about it...or  Janet?

ELIZABETH WALKINGSHAW FORBES - MATTHEW FORBES/JANET STEEL
b. 16 JUNE 1834
chr. 6 JULY 1834
GREENOCK ASSOCIATE...and this is the one that really helps to firm up Mathew's origins I would say  :)

Monica

Brilliant - thank you!  I thought I'd checked other churches, but I must have limited it to Glasgow - lesson learned  ::)

I suspected there'd be an Elizabeth, and her middle name is extremely helpful indeed  ;D

Once we go back to Duns the records are a little patchy, but Matthew's possible paternal grandparents were either:

a) Matthew Forbes & Wilhelmina Hately who married in Coldstream in 1764, baptised a daughter (Ann) in Edinburgh in 1765 & then vanish - OR -

b) Matthew Forbes & Janet Henderson who are noted in the 1774 Kirk records in Longformacus: "11 Dec 1774 To Mathew Forbes in the parish of Edrom & Janet Henderson in this parish matrimonially contracted - 1 shilling"  CH2/250/3, image 303

Both Matthew's were tailors, or perhaps they were the same man - this is what I've been struggling to piece together.  I have:

1793 Duns Matthew Forbes s/o William Forbes & Elizabeth Walkingshaw.  The witness names were James Walkingshaw & John Ford, although it appears to have been written up some years later as the page is headed 1807 and the entries jump around from 1790's to early 1800's

1795 Duns James Forbes s/o William Forbes & Elizabeth Walkingshaw.  The page is again headed 1807, same scattered dates, and the same witnesses. 

1799 Duns - burial of Elizabeth Walkinshaw wife of William Forbes, tailor of Duns, aged 48

1800 Duns - marriage of William Forbes tailor of Duns & Janet Anderson of Highlaw. Witnesses were James Walkenshaw & John Anderson.  Same marriage noted 2 weeks earlier in Edrom but with no witness details.  Janet died January 1840 aged 74, so born c1766.

1801 Duns John Forbes s/o William Forbes & Janet Anderson.  This is written immediately after the 1795 baptism of James, with the same witnesses.

Their other children were Janet 1805 & Wilhelmina ("William Mina") 1808.

1804 Duns - marriage of Thomas Wilson of Broomhouse & Jean Forbes d/o Matthew Forbes tailor of Duns.  Wits William Forbes & Mary White.  Jean died in 1838, aged 56, so born c1782.

1809 Coldingham/Coldstream - irregular marriage of John Ford of Coldingham and Isobel Forbes d/o Matthew Forbes tailor of Duns. Married at Coldstream, confirmed at Coldingham. No further trace after this.

My 4x Great Grandmother was Wilhelmina Forbes d/o Matthew Forbes, tailor , born in Duns around 1780.  Although I can't find a baptism or a marriage for her, the baptisms of her children confirm she was native of Duns & that her father was Matthew Forbes, tailor.  She died in 1832.

The 1841 census for Duns has:
William Forbes 66 tailor
John Forbes 41 tailor
Wilhelmina Forbes 13 - she was the illegitimate d/o Janet born 1805.

ADDED: William died in 1845, aged 70. 

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 09:42 BST (UK) »
"Forbes Tailoring on the Square", in Glasgow, still at it apparently!  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 20:23 BST (UK) »
Jomot, you have set that generation out really clearly and I am able to follow it through what you have found. I think you have squeezed out everything that seems to be there on the family. I can't easily see anything further to what you have.

I can see why you think the two Matthew Forbes from Duns are likely the same man. When you look at the early censuses, there are actually very few Forbes showing with a connection to Berwickshire which make me often think it is potentially one main family group.

Not sure how you can prove it with certainty though  :-\

You have been thorough so guessing that you have looked at burial registers and memorial incriptions in the past for the family? Available material to check here http://www.bordersfhs.org.uk/duns.asp

Monica