Author Topic: Diary - Monday 29th March  (Read 711 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Diary - Monday 29th March
« on: Tuesday 30 March 21 00:30 BST (UK) »
Yippee..... freedom today... well almost... nothing has changed in our household!

Woke early to a bright sunny morning... it brings a real lift to ones spirits...
Had an early breakfast as we wanted to chat to our Son in Brisbane earlier than we usually do...
As it was still just about light there we were able to see the virtually finished pool house with all its new planting including the tree fern they’d bought a couple of weeks ago that now has eight fronds ... with all the rain recently it’s been good for all the new plants... the nice fencing round the pool... a requirement apparently to protect it from children ... they don’t have any but that’s beside the point! Each post has little solar lights ontop and it looks very pretty. He’s still putting up the wood ceiling otherwise it’s finished... picture at the end of the diary...
He wasn’t too impressed they were in a three day lockdown as there had been four cases reported... apparently only 9 lives have been lost in Brisbane throughout the entire epidemic and 900 in total nationwide!
Popped to the bakers for a loaf... no time to bake bread when fencing is at the top of the list! Don’t ask me to do it or we could be eating concrete...😂😂
After a lengthy chat OH decided to go and out get the 60 boards for the fencing and I wrote my report for the monthly village magazine...
The postman delivered the new super fast magic rooter as our speeds are woeful! A letter from my cousin whose husband passed away recently ... they can only have 20 to the funeral and no gathering afterwards... it’s in Kingston-upon-Thames... a long way to drive there and back not even being able to stop at our daughters... I would like to go to support her but it’s not easy with the current restrictions... a dilemma as to what to do... sleep on it I think...
Once OH returned which was quite late we had lunch...
He disappeared to paint all the boards with that awful smelling stuff...
I did some cooking...made stock from chicken carcass, made some sag aloo, poached some plums ... had kitchen patio doors open it was lovely... gave the kitchen a good clean too.
Took the two pots of tomato plants out of the bathroom and up to the shed ready for pricking out... I could do it but no he’d prefer to do it himself...found another loo roll inner so popped another sweet pea seed in..
Dinner was chicken curry ...
Watched tv, rugby premiership highlights, University Challenge... semi finals so not many answered tonight! Masterchef...some odd combinations... amazing what they can cook in an hour and fifteen minutes...

Warm enough by the end of the day to have a t shirt on! ... not shorts quite yet though... think it’s back to polo necks by Friday!

Hope everyone else is enjoying sunshine too..
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Monday 29th March
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 00:48 BST (UK) »
Wow Caroline, that looks fabulous!
I'm sure your cousin will understand if you don't go to the funeral, perhaps someone nearer would take the opportunity to attend. When my friend's husband died last year there was a video made of the service and she provided a link so that we could watch it online. Maybe they will do something similar.

My day:

Windy again today, a grey start but became much more pleasant as the day wore on. I'd been thinking of going to the beach but couldn't seem to summon the energy. Stayed in my usual area instead, had a walk across the railway bridge, a train was coming under as I crossed, the drivers always sound their horn at that point before coming to a bend, I nearly jumped out of my skin. Walked down the track at the other side, up the steps to cross the lines then a walk back through the woods.

Tuesday's forecast is up to an amazing 19 degrees and sunny, I'll want to be in the back garden so decided to cut the front lawn. I also edged the flowerbeds, trimmed the shrubs and weeded the ground around them. Had a chat with my lovely neighbour when she came in, she's going to send some Easter Sunday dinner round for me, bless her.
In the back garden I planted some cuttings I'd taken in the autumn from a perennial wallflower and from a Sweet William. Sorted out lots of pots and emptied the ones where the contents hadn't survived the winter. Put some more Sweet Peas in pots to germinate, I hope they grow. Apparently you have to keep picking the flowers so that the plant keeps making them.
Was pretty tired after my gardening afternoon so just took some curry out of the freezer, nice and easy. Chicken curry all round!
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 01:01 BST (UK) »
If only I could get the picture the right way round! I need Gadget she’s a dab hand at putting them up the right way... looks ok in my photo library so no idea why it’s suddenly decided to go sideways!

Good idea re the funeral... she’s not mentioned it being recorded but yes if someone nearer is able to go I’d feel happier...

Glad you had a good day in your garden.. our temp at 6pm was 19.4C! Warmer tomorrow I believe...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 09:55 BST (UK) »

Good idea re the funeral... she’s not mentioned it being recorded but yes if someone nearer is able to go I’d feel happier...

Caroline

If it's at a crem, many of them broadcast the service and you get a code so you can access it. This was common before covid as many folk have relatives abroad who can't come to funerals so they watch online live, even if there is a huge time difference. If it's in a church that facility may not be available though.
North East of England

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 13:33 BST (UK) »
My younger brother died in September.
The cremation wasn't online, but the memorial service was.

Wasn't possible for me to go, due to Covid restrictions in both England and Isle of Man.

On a more cheerful note, my 21-day self-isolation finished at 12:30 Monday :D
I'm a free man!

Celebrated by going to Tesco; filled 4 bags.
Nearly forgot the wine! :o
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 16:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks folks for all your helpful suggestions...
I phoned my cousin and we had a lovely chat... she understands the situation.. but I got the sense of disappointment in her voice so we’ve left in for a couple of weeks to see if anything changes...
If we could have stayed o/night at our daughters it would have helped...
We only found one another a few years ago... maybe 10...and she’s my only cousin on my dads side of the family....
will reappraise ... she did say she was going to ask about a link but it’s not the same as being there in person...
Oh dear I hate these sorts of situations... in normal circumstances I wouldn’t hesitate....

Good to hear KG you’ve finally been released and a trip to the supermarket in celebration... perhaps of vino to celebrate! 🍷🍷

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 23:18 BST (UK) »
Such a dilemma for you Caroline. Is your cousin aware of how long the journey would take? She must be feeling very fragile and the restrictions on attendance won't help, perhaps if she has family around her she can discuss it with them and get some reassurance about how it will go.

KG, cheers from me too, although only with a cup of tea today.  :D
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 23:25 BST (UK) »
Hello

Just popped in  :D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 23:30 BST (UK) »
As always Gadget a life saver... or in this instance a photographic manoeuvring expert! ⭐️⭐️

Thanks it was giving me neck ache to keep looking at it.. much improved now  😂😂

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK