Author Topic: School admission books for Mount St Josephs School Clondalkin Dublin  (Read 1158 times)

Offline Celtic Damsel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
School admission books for Mount St Josephs School Clondalkin Dublin
« on: Tuesday 30 March 21 11:09 BST (UK) »
Good Morning all, just wondering if anyone might point me in the right direction, or if any of you have ever come across records belonging to Mount St Josephs School Clondalkin Dublin on your travels? I don't seem to be able to find anything for them anywhere online I'v checked the National Archives website but cant find anything there either so suggestions where else to look would be greatly appreciated, apparently it was a "poor school" and then became a private one before its demise thanks all
O'Brien, Dublin, Kavanagh, Dublin, Owens, Dublin and Wales, Gibbs, London and Kent, Hill, London and Cork, Goldfinch, London and Kent, Connelly, Dublin

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: School admission books
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 13:09 BST (UK) »
Have you seen this re the history?
http://stjosephsbnsclondalkin.scoilnet.ie/blog/history/

Maybe you could contact the school to see if there are any archives.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Celtic Damsel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 13:36 BST (UK) »
Have you seen this re the history?
http://stjosephsbnsclondalkin.scoilnet.ie/blog/history/

Maybe you could contact the school to see if there are any archives.
yes thank you I have mailed the school a few times but of course with the present situation it has been closed I will try ringing in the coming weeks but Im hoping someone may have come across admission books in their searches online
O'Brien, Dublin, Kavanagh, Dublin, Owens, Dublin and Wales, Gibbs, London and Kent, Hill, London and Cork, Goldfinch, London and Kent, Connelly, Dublin

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 15:32 BST (UK) »
Find My Past have Ireland National School Registers and Clondalkin is listed.  It comes up with over 13,000 hits but I'm not sure what years are covered.

As you have not mentioned any names I can't check to see if they are there.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Celtic Damsel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 May 21 12:14 BST (UK) »
Find My Past have Ireland National School Registers and Clondalkin is listed.  It comes up with over 13,000 hits but I'm not sure what years are covered.

As you have not mentioned any names I can't check to see if they are there.
thank you Girl Guide apologies for such a long delay I haven't been too well so have not been around or researching for a while. I was looking for my granddad who told us he was an orphan and was educated at Mount St Josephs Clondalkin in exchange for the children working in the fields there his name was Edward O'Brien I'm unsure what his exact age would have been but I know he was born between 1889 and 1894 I know that's not much to go on but if you find any Edward O'Briens on the registers i would appreciate any information it holds thank you

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 May 21 12:57 BST (UK) »
The only Edward O'Brien who appears is one born in 1906 and attending St. Brides Infant.  Lived in Golden Lane.

I've checked using the birth years that you gave but no O'Brien appears.

It may be worth getting your topic moved to the Ireland board and see if that gets a better response.  There may be Rootschatters who have better access to Irish records.

To move it click on the Report to Moderator in blue at the bottom right of the page you are on and ask for it to be moved to the Ireland Board.

If you get stuck, let me know and I will contact the moderator for you.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Celtic Damsel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 May 21 13:04 BST (UK) »
The only Edward O'Brien who appears is one born in 1906 and attending St. Brides Infant.  Lived in Golden Lane.

I've checked using the birth years that you gave but no O'Brien appears.

It may be worth getting your topic moved to the Ireland board and see if that gets a better response.  There may be Rootschatters who have better access to Irish records.

To move it click on the Report to Moderator in blue at the bottom right of the page you are on and ask for it to be moved to the Ireland Board.

If you get stuck, let me know and I will contact the moderator for you. thank you for looking for me and for the advice I will have a go at moving it now

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: School admission books for Mount St Josephs School Clondalkin Dublin
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 May 21 08:53 BST (UK) »
Could this be him ? if so there should be workhouse record's for him, family's usually got a small fee for taking on nurse children who were usually used as free labour.
He's the only Edward O'Brien/OBrien/Brien in Clondalkin.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Clondalkin/Cappagh/1282965/

Offline Celtic Damsel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: School admission books for Mount St Josephs School Clondalkin Dublin
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 May 21 09:52 BST (UK) »
Could this be him ? if so there should be workhouse record's for him, family's usually got a small fee for taking on nurse children who were usually used as free labour.
He's the only Edward O'Brien/OBrien/Brien in Clondalkin.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Clondalkin/Cappagh/1282965/
yes we think thats probably him though we have never gotten definite proof of that there are a lot of boys similar age and name in the workhouse records we are trying to figure out where he got the name from because his parents were Coyne from Kildare