Author Topic: Patrick McDonald  (Read 7177 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick McDonald
« Reply #63 on: Monday 17 May 21 19:01 BST (UK) »
It seems particularly significant as the family that he was with in Scarborough was living in Kirkby Fleetham in 1861, the same small village as Walter and Sarah and family. Doesn't this increasingly point to Patrick and John being brothers? Or is there another John McDonald/Macdonald hitherto undiscovered - at least by me?

Not necessarily brothers. May have been first cousins, second cousins &c., uncle & nephew &c. They may have been no relation. The MacDonald surname may have been common where they came from.
Chain migration was common. An individual or a family settled in a place where there was employment and others from the home area joined them.
John is such a common name.
One of my Irish lines who settled in Lancashire are difficult. There were 3 related families, 2 of whom lived in the same street. Lots of children, duplication & triplication of forenames, even when children were born in the same year. (Confusing for their teachers.) One of those children died in her 20's. Her widower married her cousin. The cousin was my 2x great-aunt Catherine, one of 3 cousins named Catherine. Children of both marriages had the same mother's maiden surname on birth registrations.   
Cowban

Offline RickyJack

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Monday 07 June 21 21:07 BST (UK) »
Dear Groat,
Just recently my elderly neighbour asked me to find his relation....much to my surprise its the same people you're discussing...
Flora Sophie Dorothy MacDonald, have only just found the Husband and now confirmed by you guys
had three kids one being Edmund George Macdonald 1910-1959 married Beryl Gwyneth Cranston
shifted to Australia and Barry MacDonald now here in Tasmania. The Men in Barrys line are all military men, and apparently stationed at different times around the world....with excitement this thread has broken the ice..Thankyou...Have to confess the Macdonald/Mcdonald threw me ...now having fully recovered and reading your message below, if I include my home email address, would you be so kind as to send me a copy of that photo of Flora Please... Barry will be chuffed...
my email is   Removed     Thankyou and Kind Regards from Wintery ol Tasmania
Rick Cragg

I have the family's memorial card). On her Wedding Report she appears as "Miss Flora McDonald, daughter of Mr John and Mrs McDonald, Scarborough". Neither of the bride's parents are listed as guests although presents include a gift from "bride's father". I also have a photograph of her inscribed "Flora Marie Dorette Sophie Macdonald aged 18yrs about 1896"

Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 00:03 BST (UK) »
  On her Wedding Report she appears as "Miss Flora McDonald, daughter of Mr John and Mrs McDonald, Scarborough". Neither of the bride's parents are listed as guests although presents include a gift from "bride's father".

Bride's parents wouldn't have been on the guest list because they weren't guests. Parents of a bride, if they were alive, were the hosts.

Do you know if Flora and her husband were cousins?
Cowban

Offline groat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 11:33 BST (UK) »
"Do you know if Flora and her husband were cousins?"

Ricky Jack is just reposting part of an earlier post of mine. As you know I'm still trying to establish whether Flora and John were cousins. Opinion on this thread seems to think it unlikely, but the coincidences with the McDonalds in Kirkby Fleetham in 1861 and then Sarah in Scarborough seem persuasive to me. I'm not sure where I go from here.

Offline groat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Ricky Jack

Can I ask what is your connection to my family? Why is Barry not posting himself? Does Barrie (Barry?) MacDonald know who I am? Perhaps it would be best if you send me a Private Message. If it helps, Flora had 6 children, not 3.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 11:58 BST (UK) »
Having spent quite a time researching this family for this thread and searching again as a result of Ricky’s recent thread
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=849658.msg7170460#msg7170460
I think it quite possible that there is a close family relationship.

When I was searching for Ricky, I came across this old thread
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=352420.27 which also discusses several of the points and connections discussed here  ::)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RickyJack

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi and Wow again, Thankyou all...and Goodmorning
the questions...Barry is elderly, a retired Military Man and knows less about computers than I do....as I know very little myself.
Barry and his lovely wife are my neighbours here in Tasmania,
Barry moved around a lot being in the Military being a career man, as he understands his father did also, he died when Barry was 9...hense the last of Family information.
I tried to send my email address, for a copy of a photo from Groat, Im unsure what private messanger is so I'll try this......      rickydbATbigpondDOTcom
Ive enclosed the tree Im slowly building....many thanks if more can be added
Thanks again Rick

1/ Patrick Macdonald
2/ John Macdonald born 1875 ..Sergeant in the east Lancs Regt
    married 1905
    Mary Dorothea Sophie Flora McDonald born 1878 Surry UK died 1915
                  her parents John and Mrs McDonald  [a Butler]
     Had Issue
    3/ Eustace James Macdonald 22 November 1907 Kildare Ireland   Curragh
    3/ Enid Flora Marie born 1911 Guildford Surry UK
    3/ Edmund George Macdonald born 1910-1959 Leicester UK..  service number 7259210
         married 5 April 1942 Skipton UK
         Beryl Gwyneth Cranston born 1917 died 23 March 1963 Blackpool UK
                                                parents John and Gladys Cranston [ nee Williams] ??
         Had Issue
         4/ Barry Ernest Macdonald  born 1946 Brisbane  service number R42554

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 22:20 BST (UK) »
Ricky, you can send a message to the person by clicking on the small message icon (next to the person one) below the person’s name.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RickyJack

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 22:23 BST (UK) »
TA