Author Topic: Diary > Tuesday 30th March  (Read 1884 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Tuesday 30th March
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 23:57 BST (UK) »
Did you manage to avoid the crowds Roobarb? We’ve seen some fairly disturbing photos of hundreds of people congregating in parks to catch some sun - and leaving tons of litter behind. Disgusting behaviour.

Online DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 April 21 01:01 BST (UK) »
Roobarb, glad you had a relaxing day, sometimes that’s just you need to recharge.  Caroline, sorry about the motorbikes, they are so noisy, I do hate that kind of aggressive noise.  Oh dear, coffee all over you, Mowsehouse, no fun at all! The dog made a quick recovery, Ruskie, he seems to have a cast iron stomach.  He looks a bit delicate, but is a tough little nut (is watching me type, waiting for his yogurt).  Viktoria, hope your roses thrive, how nice they named one after Sir Tom.
OH birthday today, a quiet celebration.  He liked his gifts (several he picked out himself 😁) and had the cake of his choice.  As an added birthday gift, he was able to get through and register for his vaccination, in two and a half weeks, mid-morning which is good.  The location is downtown, but that’s okay, Saturday morning will be quieter.
Colder here today, about 8 c but sunny, tomorrow will be back around 0. Then it goes back up to mid teens - such is spring here.
Talked to my brother again, Quebec is going back into lockdown, Ontario likely to as well.  Our cases in this region have gone up shockingly, few deaths, but the authorities are worried. 
Take care, everyone.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 April 21 09:20 BST (UK) »
Ruskie, I think a lot of people would have gone home by the time we got down there. Where we come out of the lane is opposite a part of the beach that's on the outskirts of town, no buildings along that section so it never really gets crowded there, people tend to go to the town beach near to the facilities. Personally I prefer the deserted bits! The photos of the crowds at Nottingham Arboretum were shocking I agree, I've been there many times, it's a beautiful place but not that large. For it to be overtaken and littered like that is awful. Apparently we had the same littering problem on our beaches, I hate the thought of those plastics getting into the sea and hurting the wildlife.

Pleased to hear your dog is okay Diana. A happy birthday to your OH, who would have thought we'd be viewing a vaccination as a lovely present!
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 April 21 09:33 BST (UK) »
Did you manage to avoid the crowds Roobarb? We’ve seen some fairly disturbing photos of hundreds of people congregating in parks to catch some sun - and leaving tons of litter behind. Disgusting behaviour.

Crikey.... I hadn't seen that!
Disturbing and disgusting indeed.
What is the matter with people????  :'(
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 01 April 21 10:41 BST (UK) »
Glad that you managed to avoid the worst of it Roobarb. I think timing is everything in these situations.

Littering is one of my pet hates. There is NO excuse for it. Ever.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 01 April 21 11:21 BST (UK) »
If the weather forecast is sunny, they should NOT clean the parks, but leave the rubbish for the idiots to find on their next visit.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 01 April 21 11:34 BST (UK) »
All the reports I viewed of the crowds in various parks clearly showed they were all of the younger generation.   Words fail me.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 01 April 21 11:50 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately KG that would spoil the enjoyment of anyone going there afterwards.
Have just been looking at some photos of the same sort of thing on our beach, apparently even nappies were left in a seafront shelter.  >:(  Someone had said that the council had problems with underfunding to deal with it but I completely agree with the person who responded that it's not about that, it's about respect. Sadly not taught by some parents now.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 01 April 21 12:03 BST (UK) »
Last time I was visiting my son near Melbourne, his child handed him some rubbish as she couldn't see a bin..... he immediately passed it to me, as he was taught when small!!  :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.