Author Topic: My Brickwall 3 x GGFather Scot/India/China/Ire/Eng and Australia  (Read 3282 times)

Offline Jagah

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My Brickwall 3 x GGFather Scot/India/China/Ire/Eng and Australia
« Reply #18 on: Friday 02 April 21 06:23 BST (UK) »
Alan of Kaslo,

Thanks so much for spending so much time Searching for John Brown, I really appreciate your effort, this information is a possible lead to the family.

I have Spent 2 days searching any leads, trying various names especially the the name Napier to see if that is a maiden name for mother or Grandmother, but it could also come for Thomas's wife
Mary Duffy, side of the family .

I have been reading information for Reg of Foot and Edinburgh Gentlemen's Volunteers
to try and understand where the regiments were and what they were doing at the time of Thomas's birth abt 1811.

With only the 1 snippets of information on wedding Announcement of Euphemia (My 2x GG mother)
Granddaughter of the Late Major John Browne, it is not a lot to go on.

On Thomas's death Cert it has Thomas Browne "Musican"

Family Tales that passed down?, said they were both Band masters,
could Major John Brown, Edinburgh Volunteers refer to this?.

I do find it hard understanding the Regiments as I also found the,

9th Royal Veteran Battalion, 91st Reg of Foot was also in Edinburgh at the same time
this makes mentions about "Bands" performing.

Neale1961
I also search for children's birth's in China for Harold and John, No Harold found, 2 possible for John 1840 & 1842, followed the 2 men to USA, but information didn't fit with my John.
thank you for your Advice.

Thank you again Alan of Kalso & Neale 1961,
 every piece of information helps and may eventually lead to a find.

Cheers for a happy and safe Easter
Jagah
p

Offline Jagah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 02 April 21 07:11 BST (UK) »
Alan of Kalso,

sorry was busy reading your last post, will really study this one.

no unfortunately there is no other information about Regiments Major John Brown may have served prior to Edinburgh Gentlemen's volunteers.
 As mentioned previous post only found this one mention about him on marriage notice of Granddaughter Euphemia.

I have yet to find anything more about Major Browne, nothing on Thomas's Fold 3 papers or his marriage in India or Death Cert.

I am also searching other names beside John just in case that was incorrect on the marriage notice,
trying Robert, James, Alexander (all Thomas's children's names) etc.

I had hope Thomas may have siblings that were also Reg of Foot and continue searching in the hope it may lead to parents names.

There are other Browne's serving in India at the same time as Thomas and I continue to trace them also.

Sorry there isn't anything to add for major John Browne to help in the search.

Jagah

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 02 April 21 07:30 BST (UK) »

On Thomas's death Cert it has Thomas Browne "Musican"

Family Tales that passed down?, said they were both Band masters,

From this site : https://petermacfiehistorian.net.au/  under the Convict Musicians tab, there is a link for A Fiddler, a Piper and Two Guitarists.  I cannot open docx files, but found a cached pdf version on Google.  The snippet that might interest you from this document is:

Music at Port Arthur Prison Post 1860.

In the 1860s, a brass band existed at Port Arthur, a photo of which survives. The formality of brass instruments and music with its military inheritance eradicated the folk traditions and radicalism of the violin and harp. A clarinet c1850 that belonged to Sergeant Thomas Browne who was Deputy Superintendent of Port Arthur in the 1850's. Browne was formerly bandmaster of the 49th Regiment.41 Private musical tuition was also practised at Port Arthur.

The source given for this is: 41 Wishart, Elspeth, Curator of History, Tasmanian Museum & Art Gallery, Hobart, 2006

On his main page there is a search box, and entering Browne does lead to some that might interest you.
The owner of this site is in poor health, and no longer researching, but trying to maintain his site as long as possible.  I would suggest giving it a good search before it vanishes.

Another bit of interest, but of no value to your hunt, is that of a diary from 1855 that mentions your Thomas:  https://nichaygarth.com/index.php/tag/thomas-browne/

The facebook page for the Port Arthur Historic Site Tasmania mentions they have Thomas' notebook that he recorded work notes in:  https://www.facebook.com/portarthur/posts/as-the-rain-hail-and-sleet-hit-the-roofs-last-night-i-was-reminded-of-an-amazing/10153736184607448/   You do not have to be signed up to facebook to see it.

Sorry for this long link; it is for an old google book, basically showing Thomas' pay, but there is a date in the final column that might mean his end date at work?  It might help in tracking when and where he was:
https://books.google.ca/books?id=qCtcAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA442&lpg=PA442&dq=thomas+Browne+superintendent+port+arthur&source=bl&ots=Z3JMV_D8hR&sig=ACfU3U30llpmfuoY9DhqTJJLU1gl31xykg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjQns3S8N7vAhWXt54KHX7oBGk4ChDoATACegQICxAD#v=onepage&q=thomas%20Browne%20superintendent%20port%20arthur&f=false

Offline Jagah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 02 April 21 07:59 BST (UK) »
bbart,

WOW what can I say,
FINALLY proof on paper that Thomas was a Musician and Band Master, Folklore was correct.

I am now going to take my time and read your post and follow up the links,
I do have a lot of information  on Thomas's life and his Roll as Deputy Superintendent at Port Arthur etc,  but had yet to find anything musical.

Now if I could only find his Parents and early life before 1827

Thank you very much for posting this information.

Jagah

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 02 April 21 08:13 BST (UK) »
Did you see the Major Broun who died in Edinburgh 1784, i believe it was...i saw it on SP. I thought maybe a parent of John. It says sex "F"...which could be in error, or it is Mrs. Major Broun.
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 02 April 21 08:17 BST (UK) »
If you are looking for military musicians, you need to look at Kneller Hall, London, where they were trained.
This links gives you address to contact
https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Bandmaster
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 02 April 21 11:44 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm enjoying all the research into this Brickwall and look forward to keeping an eye on progress.  I just wanted to mention that there is a difference between a Sergeant Major (Other Rank) and a Major (Officer) if the reference in Euphamia's marriage notice is to be researched further.

The only possible clue to Thomas's fathers  name was on a marriage notice for one of his daughters.
The Age Melbourne Sat 17th Aug 1889
Euphemia Browne Daughter of the late Thomas Browne and Granddaughter of the late Sergeant Major John Browne of the Gentlemen Volunteers Edinburgh Scotland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_Sergeant_Major

You might want to highlight this on the Military Forum in case anyone there can help.

Good luck with your search.

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline Jagah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 03 April 21 07:45 BST (UK) »
Still working my way through everyone's helpful information.

KitCarson, thank you, noted your advice and will in the next few days post for help on the Military Board.

bbart,  have been searching Lt Henry Browne Derwent Rifles 1860 and even heard some Music of the time, no leads to Thomas as yet.

Alan of Kaslo, yes I did see that Major Broun on S.P and have noted that as a line to explore further
as he could be a possible Grandfather to Thomas.

Neale 1961, Have Studied Kneller Hall, as it wasn't est. until 1857 for Military Training for musicians
I think this would be after Thomas's time, he would still be Deputy Superintendent at Port Arthur between 1857-1860, then became Publican of 2 Hotels in Sandy Bay Tasmania 1860-1865.
Thank you anyway as I enjoyed reading about it and was unaware of it's existence.

Easter distraction's keep interrupting me at the moment.

In my searches I stumbled upon this record for a man with similar information to Thomas when he enlisted.
I am unable to open his Fold3 Chelsea Pension Document as I had downgrade my Sub to Australia only on An******.

Would anyone be able to look at this to see what Regiment he was with and other details that may be of interest.
Wondered if he could possible a brother to Thomas.  Wishful Thinking.

Chelsea Pension UK

Robert Broune (not Browne/Brown)
Age 20
Mil Rank Sergeant
D.O.B 1810
P.O.B Midlothian Scotland

As Thomas's 1st son was named Robert, but could be named for a brother rather than a father,
as per Scottish naming patterns.

Many Thanks
Jagah

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 04 April 21 01:09 BST (UK) »
Could this possibly be related?

https://www.casemine.com/judgement/uk/5a8ff82160d03e7f57ebb142

If not....still an interesting read.
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.