Author Topic: My Brickwall 3 x GGFather Scot/India/China/Ire/Eng and Australia  (Read 3286 times)

Offline Jagah

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My Brickwall 3 x GGFather Scot/India/China/Ire/Eng and Australia
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 04 April 21 03:42 BST (UK) »
Alan of Kaslo
Thank you, that certainly is an interesting read, at this stage I am not sure if it is Thomas's relatives. The mention of Australia is Interesting as well.
Yesterday I worked on S.P and India Records for Browne, so many in India!

I found of interest 2 men both of the 49th Reg of foot

1.John Browne B 1800 D. 1839 Dinapore Bengal India age 39y
   Cpl. Hm 49th Reg of Foot.

2. James Browne B 1802 D. 1839 Dinapore Bengal India age 37
    Pvt Hm 49th Reg of Foot.
There were also a Robert, Alexander, Henry that were also from Edinburgh but not 49th Reg

so back onto S.P to see if I could find there Births and 2 possibilities do fit, I worked on 2 families in Edinburgh at the right time, but as yet have not found a connection to Thomas!!
I didn't list John as Father so I could see what other parents names came up and check those families just in case.

They might however be cousin's to Thomas OR could be connected to the information you sent in last post.

The Robert Broune who has fold 3 record for Chelsea Pension that I was hoping someone might be able to view on my behalf, may also be of these families as there is a Robert, was hoping he was Thomas's brother.

It is so hard with such little information and dates to work with, but the information about Thomas being a Musician and Bandmaster of 49th Reg of Foot proved to be correct,(still Buzzing about that!) so I still hope his Father was indeed Sergeant Major John Browne.

I have some Question that I will post on Military Board when I finished with all the great links and advice from all the wonderful Rootchatters that responded.

Cheers
Jagah

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 04 April 21 05:14 BST (UK) »
The Robert Broune who has fold 3 record for Chelsea Pension that I was hoping someone might be able to view on my behalf, may also be of these families as there is a Robert, was hoping he was Thomas's brother.

His Chelsea records are also on Findmypast.  He is actually Robert Browne, but it is easy to see from the handwriting that the surname looks like Broune.  He himself signed by "Brown" and "Browne" but overall, Browne was the name used throughout.

There is absolutely no family history help on any page.

Robert Browne
born Parish of West Church near Edinburgh, county Midlothian
Trade: armourer

Attested  for the 58th Regiment of Foot at Londonderry, County Derry on 14 Dec 1930 at age 20

Service no. 1549 in the 10th Reg, and 669 in the 58th.
Served 10 yrs 1 month in the East Indies.

Rose to the rank of Serjeant.

Discharged for disability from the 10th reg. on 12 July 1853 at Chatham at age 43.
Age 43 description
Height 5'7"
Hair dark brown
Eyes: grey
Complexion: dark

Age 20 description
Height 5' 6 3/4 "
Complexion: Sallow
Eyes: Hazel
Hair: Black

He was imprisoned for a spell but I "think" it was by the enemy, not for any misconduct. He was rated as "very good conduct", and there is some of the battles he fought in.  The handwriting is.... not user friendly!

Offline Jagah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 04 April 21 11:38 BST (UK) »
bbart
Thank you for posting the information of Robert Browne,
 think it was on family search that it came up as Broune, very good all sorted now Browne.
will see if he might belong to one of the 2 families with a Robert Browne that I have been working on, if not will keep looking for his possible Parent's, you just never know.

I realize there isn't much to go on, but my theory is all news is good even if it helps to eliminate families and work through by elimination to find answers.

I also sent a Thank You to Peter Macfie for his wonderful History of Tasmania, said a kind person recommended the site to me.
Had a reply today from his Brother Rob Macfie and who was grateful for the acknowledgement and will be letting Peter know. They are still working on papers and will be adding more information over the coming months and years, Rob hopes to continue Peter's work and keep the site going.

Thanks Again

Jagah

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 00:28 BST (UK) »
Glad to hear that Peter and Bob are still marching along with the history!

I've just been going in circles trying to find a suitable John Browne for Thomas' father but there is never enough info on anything to nail it down. 
I took a look at the family of Thomas Gore Browne, as he was high up the ladder in Australia/New Zealand/Tasmania and thought perhaps he was a cousin to your Thomas, and that is how your Thomas came about going to Tasmania.  However, as trackable as the family is, I cannot find a connection.

There is one discharge paper on Findmypast that might fit, but again, no info on family to even relate him. However, I will include the info here in case he comes into play sometime in your hunt:

John Browne
Discharge from the Dragoon Guards
Enlisted age 20
Born in the Parish of Newton, in or near the Town of  (left blank) in the County of Midlothian.
Served just shy of 14 years.
Description: Black hair, grey eyes, dark complexion, height 5' 8 1/2"
By trade: a farmer

Served in the:
 Midlothian Fencible Cavalry  from 24 Jun 1794 to 24 Aug 1800
 6th Dragoon Guards  from 25 Aug 1800 to 25 July 1814

Discharged by reduction.
Discharge age: 41

I don't think the Midlothian Fencible Cavalry was a volunteer group, but I am unsure of the 6th Dragoons.

Offline Jagah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 01:26 BST (UK) »
bbart,
Thank you for that information, I will certainly look into that later today.

Like you have been going in circles with research, it would have been so much easier if all the young men had to give parent's details when they enlisted.

I have also jumped over to Ireland to look at possible leads there, trying to think of why Thomas was Discharged in Fermoy Ireland in 1850.
 On discharge paper he states he intends to live in Dublin ?.

Possibilities:
1. I have reason to believe that Thomas's wife Mary Browne Nee Duffy was born in abt 1818/1819 Fermoy Ireland, having trouble locating a definite record, it is a strong possibility that her father was Soldier with 49th Reg of Foot and served in India, this could be how Thomas and Mary met and married in India 1834, a witness to the marriage was a John Duffy, this could be a Father, but I believe it could be her brother and he and Thomas served together 49th Reg of Foot India.
 I have also discovered that a John Duffy went to Tasmania the same time as Thomas and Mary and have followed his trail in Tasmania, Mt Nelson Lighthouse, very interesting, and still work in progress.
(another wonderful person gave me an insight to this sometime back privately).

2. I have also found other Browne's in Fermoy 1840-1850 of interest, a John Browne died in 1845 Fermoy and I did find land tax for a Thomas Browne abt 1848-1850.

So my imagination has come up with so many possibilities
did Thomas and Mary return to Fermoy after China as they had family there, was the John Browne who died 1845, Thomas's father, there is also another John Browne there after 1845,
did they leave Ireland as the Potato  Famine hit and Thomas accepted a post to Port Arthur Tasmania. Why did they not return to Edinburgh?.

I am also re- checking everyone's information and links to make sure I haven't missed anything,
and then post over on the Military Board with a link to this Topic.

Thanks
Jagah

Offline Jagah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 07:11 BST (UK) »
For those of you following this thread, you may now see I have posted a topic on the Military Board.

Topic:
Edinburgh Gentlemen Volunteers & 49th Reg of Foot.

Fingers crossed

Jagah

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 07:27 BST (UK) »
For those of you following this thread, you may now see I have posted a topic on the Military Board.

Topic:
Edinburgh Gentlemen Volunteers & 49th Reg of Foot.

Fingers crossed

Jagah

Link to new thread-
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=847090.msg7142199#new

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Jagah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 08:03 BST (UK) »
Kiltaglassan,

Thank you for posting link to other Topic

Regards
Jagah

Offline Jagah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 06:43 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Just thought I would add some information, maybe in the future someone may be also researching Brown/Browne and it may help them.

I have purchased a lot of credits on S.P in the last few weeks, Births and Deaths mainly,
whilst I still haven't found definite parents for Thomas, I have certainly narrowed down the search .

I believe Thomas was  most likely born a Brown and at some time has added the E, so many of his records just have Brown, it appears with an E mostly after his time in India.
Some Broun's also become Brown.

One purchase was a marriage for Broun/Napier 1801 reply #10 by Neil 1961,
 This John was a soldier with the 6th Dragoon Guards at Edinburgh 1801, Sarah's father John Napier
 he could be the same man that Alan of Kalso posted reply #17 ? Service no: 2675

I found a newpaper article from London Gazette 14th Oct 1811
Vice John Brown appointed to the 80th Reg. Sergeant Major.
also same article, 80th  Lieut. F. Brown from 65th reg of foot to be Lieutenant with purchase.

bbart reply #30 mentioned Thomas Gore Browne, so spent a few days on this family, there was also a Gore Browne in Edinburgh at a similar time,
 this was a fascinating family with so many similarities to my Thomas, they were in Tasmania about the same time and My Thomas's children had very much the same  names as Thomas Gore Browne's Siblings and children.......?? hoping he was a cousin

The familiy of Thomas Gore Browne may also have a close connection to the court link posted by
Alan of Kalso Reply #26, which was about the custody of the children of Robert Browne also posted by bbart reply #28

I had to stop when I couldn't establish an obvious connection to my Thomas.

I purchased all the Thomas Brown records on S.P for the year 1811,BUT nothing to really confirm anything.

He was not the son of Captain Andrew Browne as his son Thomas Hamilton Brown died 1830.

He was not the Thomas born Oxnam as he is still alive in Oxnam when my Thomas was in China.

Some didn't have enough information .

I spent weeks searching each family one by one and finding all the children born to each couple,
I was hoping this may also lead to something, exhausting all options.

So I am left with 3 of interest, but still nothing to confirm for sure!.

Maybe some time in the future a person may come along who is researching there branch lines and
may lead to a discovery and connection to families, one can only hope...

I actually found some new information for Thomas's wife Mary (Duffy) and her family who were also the 49th Reg of foot, so that was wonderful, and may have also found a possible birth for a child to Thomas and Mary in Fermoy Ireland in 1850 just before Thomas was discharged from the Army.
So it pays to keep looking.....

Thank you again to everyone who originally helped, you were all amazing

Regards Jagah  🤗

Edit  John Broun 6th Dragoon Guards Edinburgh was mentioned in a reply #30 by bbart
and this would seem to match the John Broun who married in 1801 Sarah Napier,
sorry got my Reply # mixed up.