Author Topic: Richard Lumley bc 1711 Hornby Yorks searching for link to Lord Lumley mid 1700's  (Read 1365 times)

Offline BamptonHatherleigh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Lumley bc 1711 Hornby Yorks searching for link to Lord Lumley mid 1700's
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 April 21 11:39 BST (UK) »
Another child;
WILLIAM Lumley bapt Mar 1737/8, St Mary, Hornby (Catterick), Yorkshire, North Riding
Father RICHARD
Abode Hunton
Fathers Occp Householder

A CHRISTOPHER Lumley bapt a son RICHARD 02 Nov 1751 same church.

Other children Bapt Bedale;
Parents RICHARD/ISABEL
GEORGE and BELLA 17 Feb 1750/51 (Twins)
Father a Blacksmith*

I did note that on 06 Mar 1726/7 bapt of THOMAS, his Father George was of Hunton and a Householder.

Burials;
St Mary, Hornby (Catterick)
Of George sons JOHN 1719 was buried 18 Dec 1721 and THOMAS 1726 11 Oct 1728
Now on both abode is Hunton, but on one George is a householder and the other a labourer.
A drop in income?
Wife MARGARET buried 22 Apr 1729

Everything I have found above is on FreeREG, mostly surname Lumley, some Lamley on records.

Have a good luck around on there as CHRISTOPHER 1717 was buried 12 Jan 1787 age 69 and a Labourer*

So I think you can rule out CHRISTOPHER 1717/JOHN 1719/THOMAS 1726
2 died young and one was a Labourer.

Trish (in Sydney) :)
I found 2 baptisms for Thomas Lumley in 1726 Hornby , both residents of Hinton..one George Lumley householder on 5th and on 13th I cant see occupation so I don't think I can rule out Thomas,  I think it was the one baptised on 13th who died.

I am trying to trace the hon Frances... I have one who died in 1796 (Daughter of Lady Frances Lumley 1700/1772) her age would fit for being at a wedding in 1767.
Dont you love the brain teasers our ancestors left us?
Snell Chulmleigh,Hatherleigh,Bampton/Devon,Middlesex London.
Bell Nottingham, Clevedon, London, Cumberland
Oxley London
Field Bristol
He(a)ydock Bristol Devon

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Lumley bc 1711 Hornby Yorks searching for link to Lord Lumley mid 1700's
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 April 21 12:10 BST (UK) »
Francis / Frances is always a hard name to track - Francis is male, Frances is female but often written wrongly.  Where did the one you mention here die

I am trying to trace the hon Frances... I have one who died in 1796 (Daughter of Lady Frances Lumley 1700/1772) her age would fit for being at a wedding in 1767.
Dont you love the brain teasers our ancestors left us?

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 April 21 13:00 BST (UK) »
Francis / Frances is always a hard name to track - Francis is male, Frances is female but often written wrongly.  Where did the one you mention here die

I am trying to see where Frances Lumley, daughter of Richard Lumley and Frances Hamilton  third Earl of Scarborough, take me.. she died 1796.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Lumley-Saunderson,_3rd_Earl_of_Scarbrough, she married Peter Ludlow... at which point she probably wouldnt be called Hon Frances Lumley,as that was 1753. IF she changed her name then she doesnt fit being at a wedding called Frances Lumley in 1767.
How many honorable lady Frances Lumleys can there have been in 1767 ... not that many surely!?
Oxley London
Field Bristol
He(a)ydock Bristol Devon

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 April 21 13:04 BST (UK) »
Darryl Lundy's website, thepeerage.com, has branches of Lumley also with hpyhenated Surnames, see here;
http://thepeerage.com/i2445.htm#s33237
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 01 April 21 13:10 BST (UK) »
Darryl Lundy's website, thepeerage.com, has branches of Lumley also with hpyhenated Surnames, see here;
http://thepeerage.com/i2445.htm#s33237

sadly nothing helpful there.
Oxley London
Field Bristol
He(a)ydock Bristol Devon

Offline Justindavid7176

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 07 May 22 09:28 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of document written by Henry J Oxley (1848-1916); youngest son of Edward Oxley (1806-1848); son of Thomas Oxley (1772-1833); 3rd son of William Oxley (1738-1822) and Margaret Lumley (1739-1809). 

This claims to show the Lumley ancestry from time of Edward the confessor.  The latter part of this is transcribed below:- 
......He married Jane, daughter of Henry Fitzallen, Earl of Arundel by whom he had issue two sons, Charles and Thomas, also a daughter Mary, all which died without issue.  Anthony, son of Richard and Great Uncle to John married daughter of Richard Grey of Northumberland and had a son and heir Roger who married Ann, daughter of Northwich and had three sons, of whom Sir Richard Lumley succeeded to Lumley castle under the will of his cousin John Lord Lumley, knighted 11 July 1616 Viscount Lumley of Waterford, peerage of Ireland, 1628.  Married firstly Frances, daughter of Henry Shelley, secondly Elizabeth, daughter of Sir W. Cornwallis.  His son, John Lumley married Mary, daughter of Sir Henry Compton, his son Richard second Viscount, made Baron of Lumley Castle 1681 Earl of Scarborough, 1690, married 1684 Frances, daughter of Sir Henry Jones Knight of Aston, died 17 December, 1721.  Thomas 3rd Earl, his son, who had assumed the additional name of Saunderson, died 15 March 1752.   [odd notes on side, Richard second Earl died unmarried 1740. 
James Lumley brother of 3rd Earl died Feb 14 1766 may have been father of Margaret Lumley].
 The full document transcription is available if you think it is any help.

The marriage of Jane Lumley and John Oxley was witnessed by Francis Lumley and John Hale.

Alan Oxley

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Thank you. I would love this to solve the mystery but am having great trouble following this without a tree! Do you have a tree for Jane Lumley?

I would love to see the transcript if that's possible?

Jane Lumley and John Oxley's parish marriage record doesn't say the Hon. Francis ... she had a brother called Francis who would surely be a good candidate as witness?
Oxley London
Field Bristol
He(a)ydock Bristol Devon

Offline Justindavid7176

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
I have a tree for Jane Oxley ne Lumley showing descendants, is that what you want?

Written/info copied by Henry James Oxley (1848 to 1916) brother of Alfred Oxley (1837 to 1917)
Lumley
This ancient family, having its surname from Lomley, situated on the banks of the river Were, near Chester (le Street), Durham, derived their descent from Lyulph, a person of great nobility in the time of King Edward the Confessor, who married Algitha, daughter to Aldred, Earl of Northumberland of which line was Frazer de Lumley; who in the time of Henry III married Sibill, daughter of Hugh de Norewic, an ancient baron in Northumberland.  His son, Robert de Lumley, married Lucia, daughter of Thomas de Shaving of Hilton Castle.  His son, Marmaduke, had two sons, Robert and Kafpke.  Robert died 12 (December) 48, reign of Edward III  (1375) leaving Kafpke, his brother and heir, 21 years of age, who in 9 Richard II (1386), being a knight, was in an expedition made into Scotland with Henry de Percy.  Earl of Northumberland, son to Edward II made Governor of Warwick upon Tweed. 
In 16 Richard II (1393) he obtained licence to make a castle of his Manor house at Lumley and having been summoned to Parliament joined in insurrection for restoring King Richard, then deposed, whereupon he was attainted and his lands were seized.
Thomas his son, succeeded him and died in his minority 01 Henry IV (1399), owner of Castle Hilton Manor [Lyulph Corlung Thwenye, Hugh Llone] Haddeston, Castle Lumley Manor [Stanley. Braunton Hedleston Beaustron].
Sir John Lumley, his brother, 20 years of age, succeeded him.  This Sir John in 6 Henry IV(1405), had living of all the castles Manors and land.  Whereas his father Sir Kafpke, was seized at time of his attainment.  He died in 10 Henry V (1422) leaving his son and heir Thomas, who in 33 Henry VI (1455) was made Governor of Scarboro Castle, summoned to parliament from 1 Edward IV (1461) to 12 Henry VII (1497), married a bastard daughter of King Edward IV leaving George, his son and heir, who married Elizabeth, daughter of Roger Thornton, a wealthy merchant of Newcastle and had issue three sons, Thomas, Roger and Kapke.  Thomas died in his fathers lifetime leaving issue one son Richard and three daughters.  Ann married Kapke Lord Ogle, Nickill I William Barton Hilton and Elizabeth Croswell.  Richard in Henry VIII married Ann, daughter of Sir Congers of Stornley Castle and had issue two sons, John and Anthony which John in 5 Henry VIII (1514) being at Hodden Field in 6 Henry VIII (1515) was summoned to parliament.  This John Lord Lumley married Joan or (Jane) daughter of Henry Lord Hersopse of Bolton by whom he had issue George, which George dying in his father’s lifetime leaving issue by Jane, daughter and heir Richard Knightley, John his son and two daughters.  Jane married Jeffrey of Markham, Barbara married Humphrey Lloyd.  This John succeeded his Grandfather in 28 Henry VIII (1537) and was one of those who in 20 Elizabeth (1578), sat in judgement on Mary Queen of Scots at Fotherinham castle, where by virtue thereof she lost her life.  He married Jane, daughter of Henry Fitzallen, Earl of Arundel by whom he had issue two sons, Charles and Thomas, also a daughter Mary, all which died without issue.  Anthony, son of Richard and Great Uncle to John married daughter of Richard Grey of Northumberland and had a son and heir Roger who married Ann, daughter of Northwich and had three sons, of whom Sir Richard Lumley succeeded to Lumley castle under the will of his cousin John Lord Lumley, knighted 11 July 1616 Viscount Lumley of Waterford, peerage of Ireland, 1628.  Married firstly Frances, daughter of Henry Shelley, secondly Elizabeth, daughter of Sir W. Cornwallis.  His son, John Lumley married Mary, daughter of Sir Henry Compton, his son Richard second Viscount, made Baron of Lumley Castle 1681 Earl of Scarborough, 1690, married 1684 Frances, daughter of Sir Henry Jones Knight of Aston, died 17 December, 1721.  Thomas 3rd Earl, his son, who had assumed the additional name of Saunderson, died 15 March 1752.   [odd notes on side, Richard second Earl died unmarried 1740. 
James Lumley brother of 3rd Earl died Feb 14 1766 may have been father of Margaret Lumley].