Author Topic: Can't find a civil death record (James McLaughlin, Grange, Desertmartin)  (Read 1145 times)

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can't find a civil death record (James McLaughlin, Grange, Desertmartin)
« on: Wednesday 31 March 21 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I'm wondering if I could get some help in trying to track down an elusive civil death record for a James McLaughlin, brother to my great grandfather Edward John.

James was born in 1868 to parents James McLaughlin and Rose Anne Walls of Grange, Desertmartin near Magherafelt.

The family story, as I heard it, was that he had drowned in a river at the age of 13, but I can find no matching civil death records for the late 1870s - early 1880s.

Now it's an outside possibility that the story might not be true. Relatives tell me that they remember my great grandfather telling them about his sister Bridget who emigrated as an adult - but the civil record shows very clearly that she died in infancy; 15 days old in 1878, before my great grandfather was born, so there may be an element of 'unreliable narrator'/faulty memory at play.

Still, I'm fairly certain that James was dead at least before 1911 and probably before 1901. In the 1911 census, where the widowed Rose Anne McLaughlin was living alone with Eddie John, the officiant has written '3' for total children born and '1' for children still living. They then crossed it all out when they realised they weren't supposed to fill it in for a widowed person.

Any help in tracking down the above civil record greatly appreciated!

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find a civil death record (James McLaughlin, Grange, Desertmartin)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 16:26 BST (UK) »
For what it's worth, there is a Desertmartin and Kilcronaghan RC parish 'obituary' record in 1881 for a Jas. O'Loghlin or O'Loughlin, the date looks like Nov 18th or 15th, the residence is Grange (right page, 6 lines up from bottom):

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633018#page/108/mode/1up

But I'm struggling to read that church record across to a civil death registration, perhaps fresh eyes will rule it in or out.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 17:20 BST (UK) »
Many deaths weren't registered. Up to 30-50% in some areas, less in others.

Why do people struggle with this simple fact?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 17:24 BST (UK) »

Many deaths weren't registered. Up to 30-50% in some areas, less in others.

Why do people struggle with this simple fact?

Sorry, didn't mean to offend, I thought I had something to add here, now regretting it big time, but good luck to the OP.

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 22:34 BST (UK) »
Who is struggling with anything, Wexflyer? I couldn't find a death record, and I asked if anyone could help me just in case there was something I might have overlooked, a mistranscription perhaps, the death occuring outside of the expected area, who knows.

Suggesting: 'It might be that the death wasn't registered' is perfectly possible without being rude.

Thank you for the input, Gaffy. I had seen that record myself but I'm not sure whether it applies to a James O'Loughlin who died in his 70s in the nearby Boveagh townland in 1881. The dates roughly line up, with the civil record listing him as dying in November of that year. The address obviously is the key thing that doesn't match in this case, though his profession appears to be listed as something like 'Lodger' (? unsure of the handwriting on that one), so maybe Boveagh wasn't his home address.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 22:38 BST (UK) »
Who is struggling with anything, Wexflyer? I couldn't find a death record, and I asked if anyone could help me just in case there was something I might have overlooked, a mistranscription perhaps, the death occuring outside of the expected area, who knows.

Suggesting: 'It might be that the death wasn't registered' is perfectly possible without being rude.

Thank you for the input, Gaffy. I had seen that record myself but I'm not sure whether it applies to a James O'Loughlin who died in his 70s in the nearby Boveagh townland in 1881. The dates roughly line up, with the civil record listing him as dying in November of that year. The address obviously is the key thing that doesn't match in this case, though his profession appears to be listed as something like 'Lodger' (? unsure of the handwriting on that one), so maybe Boveagh wasn't his home address.

No one was rude, and I wasn't the one to introduce the word "struggle".
Amazing how much effort people make to feel insulted.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area