Author Topic: What should be the essential data on a Covid passport?  (Read 6018 times)

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: What should be the essential data on a Covid passport?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 April 21 13:04 BST (UK) »
Yet again, we see the emerging need for a proper, simple, ID scheme in UK.    Tax records, Health records, driving licences, passports - they're all incomplete substitutes for a proper ID scheme.  If we had a UK-wide register, how much simpler would it be to follow up on inequalities, rights, discrimination, and people who get "lost" off the records, to their own detriment.  Other countries have no issue with this, because they understand the advantages.....

However other countries have an issue with having vaccinations - low French uptake for example.

It is just down to how different bodies of people view things and our country has qualms about identity cards just as others have qualms about the covid vaccine.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 02 April 21 15:01 BST (UK) »
Yet again, we see the emerging need for a proper, simple, ID scheme in UK.    Tax records, Health records, driving licences, passports - they're all incomplete substitutes for a proper ID scheme.  If we had a UK-wide register, how much simpler would it be to follow up on inequalities, rights, discrimination, and people who get "lost" off the records, to their own detriment.  Other countries have no issue with this, because they understand the advantages.....

I have ID I carry with me wherever I go I need no other, I have even used it to prove who I am to the police and the constable I showed it to accepted the tattoo without question and when his younger companion started to ask if I was playing the fool he shut him up in no uncertain terms.
I will never carry any other form of identification as long as I live.
I am a free man living in a democracy and no one has the right to demand I identify myself.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 02 April 21 18:14 BST (UK) »
I am a free man living in a democracy and no one has the right to demand I identify myself.

Couldn't have put it any better. 
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 02 April 21 19:57 BST (UK) »
Other countries have no issue with this, because they understand the advantages.....

Whilst other countries appear to have no problem with I.D. cards there is, within the British psyche, an inherent objection to such things. Do we really need to be hearing "Papers please"?; the refrain usually heard in states more authoritarian than the U.K.. After all, apart from the need for I.D. cards during wartime, we have no history of the requirement for such documents.
It was a battle to get rid of them after the last war and the need to have them was not repealed until several years after the war ended. A typical example of state reluctance to relinquish control.
In a former existence I had to carry a form of I.D. card but now I no longer need it, I have no wish to have another just to prove who I am.
Furthermore, the problem is these things are never simple. Remember, they will be bureaucratic and that just breeds more bureaucracy.
No thank you to "vaccine passports" or I.D. cards.
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 02 April 21 20:50 BST (UK) »
People object to carrying ID cards yet think nothing of having to produce your driving licence if stopped by the police, show your passport to leave or enter the country, produce a bus pass to travel free on a bus and in a lot of jobs these days wear a lanyard bearing a card with your name and photo. What's the difference?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 02 April 21 21:20 BST (UK) »
The difference is that within minutes of the introduction of ID cards, there would be compulsion. The need to to carry it with you at all times. And to produce the same to all and sundry.  And if you didn't, there would be punishment. To start with, fines and then for the persistent offenders, prison.   

Prison - for an offence no worse than illegal parking.  And who would pay for all this. Last time round, when there was practically no uptake, the cost was £70. 

I don't want one and have no need for one. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 02 April 21 22:54 BST (UK) »
I suppose it would be more of a case of, you wouldn't have to have one, but you wouldn't be allowed to enter certain places without one. A bit like a membership card to a Gym, or a membership card of a Cash & Carry, or a works ID card.

You'd have your own free will of not going in those places. Just a thought.
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 02 April 21 23:12 BST (UK) »
People object to carrying ID cards yet think nothing of having to produce your driving licence if stopped by the police, show your passport to leave or enter the country, produce a bus pass to travel free on a bus and in a lot of jobs these days wear a lanyard bearing a card with your name and photo. What's the difference?

All those things are a matter of choice, but a compulsory ID card is something different entirely.

And how long before the compulsory cards include compulsory biometrics too?  Or a compulsory DNA sample?   

I sure as hell won't be producing any kind of ID / vaccine passport just to have a drink in a pub, because once something like that is accepted as reasonable, its the thin edge of the wedge.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 02 April 21 23:18 BST (UK) »
We are talking about two very different things in this thread - 

1 - A Personal Identification Card. The Road Traffic Act only requires us to state our name and contact address to another party. There is no other reason for us to be compelled to identify ourselves.  We already have the passport and the driving licence as photo ID, if it were required. 

AND 

2 - A Certificate of Immunisation. I was given a card after my first inoculation. There is room for the details of the second inoculation to be entered. What need is there for anything else? 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia