Author Topic: Patrick Findlay b.12.7.1925 - Glasgow  (Read 2669 times)

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
Patrick Findlay b.12.7.1925 - Glasgow
« on: Wednesday 31 March 21 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have a merchant navy crew list stating that Patrick Findlay spelt Fundlay in the document was a member of the crew of the Swedish ship TABERG torpedoed and sunk in 1941. The document only states his name, date and place of birth 12.7.1925, Glasgow. He was not a survivor and was only 16 years of age. I would be grateful if anyone could do better than me at finding any information on him or his family. I know the details of the sinking but have nothing on the lad and there is nothing in the MN records. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Findlay b.12.7.1925 - Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 20:36 BST (UK) »
There's only one birth of a Patrick Findlay in 1925 in the Scottish birth indexes, Patrick McIntee Findlay, in Glasgow.

As it's less than 100 years ago, the birth certificate isn't available to view online. There are two options.

One is to order a copy of the certificate, cost £12. I have heard on the grapevine that even though it says on the web site that certificates are not available because of the pandemic, it may be possible to order one during working hours, but I cannot verify that.

The other is to get someone who is going to a Scotland's People Centre to transcribe the details for you. Thanks to Covid-19, this is not possible at the moment because all the centres are closed.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Hugh

You have certainly worked hard to try and find his details and those of the other men involved. I had a catch up read here http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/ss-taberg.81233/

As Forfarian mentions, hopefully when the SP centres re open, someone could kindly do a look up for you. Someone may recognise his details on here too and hopefully get in touch  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 21:39 BST (UK) »
Daily Mirror June 14, 1941 (pg 6/7), carried a somewhat vague story (in that it didn't name the ship or the survivors), about a torpedoed Swedish ship,and 8 survivors in a lifeboat, in the Atlantic 100 miles from land. Apparently it pushed through the heavy swell of the sea with the aid of a makeshift sail (picture of same). It was spotted by a Sunderland Flying Boat which was unable to rescue them, but  did drop off food, drink and smokesfor them.The men held out and were later rescued by an American destroyer on its way to Britain.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 22:05 BST (UK) »
Potential red herring, but I  wonder if the couple of this marriage might have been grandparents, or depending on Mary's age, parents of the Patrick birth mentioned in reply #1:

FINDLAY
JAMES
MCINTEE
MARY
644/7 339
Blythswood
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 22:11 BST (UK) »
Added: Scotmum, got the red flash. I agree with your thoughts  :)

I think there is a possible entry for grandparents, but I can't get closer so far.

A 38 yr old John Findlay, a labourer, married a 32 yr old Mary McIntee in Bridgeton, Glasgow (Roman Catholic marriage). Her parents were a Patrick McIntee and Catherine Kelly. His parents were James Findlay and Annie Berrie. Both sets of parents were deceased by the time of the marriage in 1899.

Not sure yet on their 1901 entry.

John deceased by 1913 when Mary McIntee remarried in Calton, Glasgow to a Hugh McCreadie.

Mary died in 1928 in Calton, Glasgow. A son James reported her death.

My thoughts are that one of her sons may have called a son of his Patrick McIntee Findlay in memory of his maternal grandfather.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 22:39 BST (UK) »
I think both Mary McIntee and John Findlay may have taken off some years off their registrations. With parents' names from their marriage:

Mary born in 1862 Glasgow www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQWC-891

John born in 1856 Glasgow www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQNN-FYH

This then fits with this 1891 entry. They weren't married until 1899 as we have, although showing as Mr & Mrs:

John Findlay 32 Casual Porter Hotel  b. Glasgow    
Mary Findlay 29 b. Glasgow
John Findlay 6 Son
Edward Findlay 4 Son

Address: 341 C Govan St, Glasgow/Hutchesontown

Still can't see them on the transcript I am looking for 1901.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 23:04 BST (UK) »
Got them now for 1901:

Mary Findlay 38 Head married Old Clother Dealer
John Findlay 15    
Edward Findlay 16    
Daniel Findlay 9
Mary Findlay 7
Annie Findlay10 Months
5 Boarders    

Address: 53 Candleriggs, Glasgow/Blythswood

There must have been at least a son James later, who later reported his mother's death in 1928.

Hugh, this is all just potential background until you are able to confirm the details of the 1925 birth in Calton.

Monica

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 April 21 09:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for taking the time to help - much appreciated and it gives me something to go on.
Monica, thank you for adding the thread from WW2Talk which gives the context of my search.
The CWGC have stated that I need evidence that they were British merchant seamen signed on in an official capacity - the document I have produced is not enough for them. I have more documents I received from Sweden last week but still to translate. In the meantime, if I can gather information on the individuals then I may try and go back to the CWGC.
Thanks again for your help.
Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO