Author Topic: 1939 Register  (Read 794 times)

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1939 Register
« on: Wednesday 31 March 21 20:47 BST (UK) »
Found aunt on 1939 Register - she was unmarried then  registered in her maiden name - above her name is written her married name - she married in 1948 - also noted is her new surname following her second marriage in 1970.  - nothing sinister!

I wonder what were the 'mechanics' whereby 'new' surnames were added.  Was the Register held locally or in central place and who informed the Register Keeper of the changes?

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Register
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 21:02 BST (UK) »
The Register was kept by the NHS until the early 1990s.
And updated by them.

Quoting from ONS:
The National Health Service Central Register (NHSCR) began life as the National Register, which was used to issue identity cards and ration books and to help with the call-up for the Armed Forces in WW2. When the NHS was set up in 1948, the National Registration numbers were used to ensure that each patient’s record had a unique identification. After rationing ended, the register was retained as the Central Register for the NHS for England and Wales. This ensured that Primary Care Support Services (PCSS) maintained up to date lists of patients resident in their areas. The NHSCR at Southport provided a comprehensive system to assist with NHS patient administration in England and Wales. Similar, but separate, systems are maintained in other parts of the UK by NHS Wales Information Shared Services, National Records for Scotland and the Northern Ireland Central Services Agency for the Health and Social Services.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 21:12 BST (UK) »
The register was kept centrally, Doctors, hospitals would notify any changes of name their patients reported.
For example my brother George (son of my mother's former marriage) was recorded as Gittins on the 1939 National Registration, we seldom used a doctor and it was not until he left school to go to university and registered with a new doctor in Edinburgh in 1957 was his change of name made even though my mum had remarried in 1946 and her surname was changed in 1946, on the 1939 National Registration.
Cheers
Guy

PS It should be noted that if a person had moved from England to Scotland after 1939 the original entry would be changed rather than the fact noted in Scotland only. I assume this would happen with all regions.
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 April 21 16:53 BST (UK) »
many thanks for the replies.