Author Topic: Valentine Krug & John George Grof - Huguenots?  (Read 451 times)

Offline Beatles78

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Valentine Krug & John George Grof - Huguenots?
« on: Thursday 01 April 21 04:38 BST (UK) »
Hello,

My Grandfather would tell my Father that they were "Huguenots" without further explanation. Since, I have stumbled upon distant relative documents - saying that these ancestors were Huguenots, that this could be proven, and that they were naturalized in the "Publications of the Huguenot Society of London", vol 24, pages 47 and 48. I have seen these pages and their names there. https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.c2800226&view=1up&seq=11

All I know about Valentine Krug is that he was born in Lengefeld, Germany in 1689 and he settled in Pennsylvania (Lancaster County) and naturalized on 2 September 1753. John George Grof was also born in the Saxony area of Germany, and settled in PA also and was naturalized on 4 April 1752. In my document, my distant relative wrote "The Krug and Grafs were refugees into the German States from French persecution, and both signed the oath of allegiance to England when they came to Pennsylvania Colony."

So my question is....what else does one need to prove Huguenot ancestry? How do I know if their names were French and they were Germanized?

Thanks so much,
Stephanie

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Valentine Krug & John George Grof - Huguenots?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 April 21 13:33 BST (UK) »

I can’t tell you whether your guys were 2 of the many descendants of Huguenots, but Book #24 is called “Naturalizations of Foreign Protestants in the American and West India Colonies Pursuant to Statute 13 George II, c.7.” And, although published by the Huguenot Society in 1921, the text NEVER mentions the word “Huguenot”. It does contain Protestants, Dutch Reformed, Lutherans, Quakers, Moravians, Jews (!) etc.

N.B. The link you mentioned did not lead me to the actual book, but this link will: https://archive.org/details/naturalizationso24grea/page/46/mode/2up

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 April 21 13:38 BST (UK) »
So my question is....what else does one need to prove Huguenot ancestry? How do I know if their names were French and they were Germanized?

If you want to be 100% sure, you'll need to do the normal ancestry research starting with these 2 guys, then their parents, then the grandparents etc. 

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 April 21 18:57 BST (UK) »
All I know about Valentine Krug is that he was born in Lengefeld, Germany in 1689 - quote

looks like he was Johann Valentine Krug - if this tree is right ??
https://gw.geneanet.org/d1popowich?n=krug&oc=&p=johann+valentine

there are many many Krug and Grof in the 1600's in Germany AND France
www.geneanet.org

oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford