Author Topic: George James Crocker  (Read 5263 times)

Offline Chucky_60

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George James Crocker
« Reply #36 on: Friday 02 April 21 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

Thank you so much to all of you for all the "digging" it was a real surprise when I logged on tonight.

Sue your last post has the correct info for my grandfather and great grandfather.

Maybe I do have the wrong person in George "James" Crocker and will start to "dig" deeper for the James Crocker from Cornwell. Let's see where that takes me.

Thank you again

Chucky

Vaughan & Everson, Stilling & Smith, Crocker & Hogg, Northey & England, deCheppe & Barley, Broad & Wise

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 03 April 21 02:48 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone
I'm trying to find some record of my 2 x great grandfather. My grandfather was William John Crocker (1903-1988) my great grandfather William John (1865-1932). George James Crocker (1843-) father died when he was 12 and his name was George. I have assumed that George junior may have gone by the name James as an adult. His wife is just as confusing, first name is Isabella, but I can't confirm a surname. It could be either Hogg or Short. Any help would be appreciated.

I suspect this underlined part of your post  is where your information has gone astray and left the accurate path.

As the man is your direct line and therefore the foundation stone of your family history which, of course,you would wish to be accurate, you would need to purchase the certificate of his marriage to Isabella HOGG.
It will confirm his parents as stated by himself at the time.  Also the family details of his wife Isabella HOGG.
There is a cost of $20.  Scroll down this page for how to order and immediately download after payment.

https://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/research-and-family-history/search-your-family-history

The death certificate would also offer valuable family information, possibly including how long in the colonies if an immigrant as we suspect, place of birth etc.

Without this kind of verification, everything is 'maybe' ;)

Many here will be interested to hear of what you discover.!

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 03 April 21 04:09 BST (UK) »
I whole-heartedly agree with Sue’s post above.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 03 April 21 04:45 BST (UK) »
May I also support Sue's post.  Victoria's bdm records are perhaps among the most informative around the entire world.  .... Better even than Scotland's...  shhhhh .... yep better than Scotland's.... and that's a comment from my own ancient living rellies, including retired New South Wales bdm senior officers.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Chucky_60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 04 April 21 02:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue & everyone

As a result of all your help I have solved the riddle of James Crocker, just a few points to sort out.

2 x great grand parents
James Crocker - B 1834 Gwennap, Cornwall, England - D 1894, St Kilda, Victoria
Isabella Hogg - B 1844 (location unknown) - D 1873, St Kilda, Victoria

Both of James parents died before he was 17, both he and his elder brother William worked in the mines in Cornwall. I have found a record of his younger sister Eliza coming to Australia as a single female in 1858 but I haven't been able to find a manifest for James yet. It would have most likely between during the 1850's as he married Elizabeth Hogg in 1864.

They were married in Maryborough, Victoria on the 18 March and their children were either born in Maryborough or Chinaman's Flat. They would have been there at the height of the gold rush. Two of the children are buried in the Timor Cemetery.

3 x great grandparents
William Crocker - B 1811 Gwennap, Cornwall, England - D 1846 Gwennap, Cornwall, England
Sarah Richards - 1810 Gwennap, Cornwall, England - D 1849 Gwennap, Cornwall, England
Married 2 Jun 1831 Gwennap, Cornwall, England

It appears as if Sarah's mother Sarah Prisk may have been living with or next door to her grandchildren following her daughters and son-in-law deaths. Shown on the 1851 census.

I have had no luck on the Isabella Hogg side other than her fathers name is George. Oh I did get a copy of the Birth Certificate which was helpful but as is the case so many times the hand writing was dreadful so I could not find out where Isabella was born.

I believe I read a post from someone that mentioned twins and it does appear as if James had twin sisters than unfortunately died aged 2 years.

Thank you again for everyone's help, back to work on the Hogg side and then onto my grandmother Dorothy May McGlinn another one I can find no record prior to marrying my grandfather.

Happy digging!

Chucky

Vaughan & Everson, Stilling & Smith, Crocker & Hogg, Northey & England, deCheppe & Barley, Broad & Wise

Online Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 04 April 21 03:07 BST (UK) »
Chucky, thanks for the up-date. good to see progress.
On Isabella Hoggs death certificate, what information do you see about her place of birth, and time spent in the colony?

If you post the bits from the certificate that you cannot read, we will try to help.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 04 April 21 03:20 BST (UK) »
Just reposting Sue's advice for reference.

As the man is your direct line and therefore the foundation stone of your family history which, of course,you would wish to be accurate, you would need to purchase the certificate of his marriage to Isabella HOGG.
It will confirm his parents as stated by himself at the time.  Also the family details of his wife Isabella HOGG.

Debra  :)

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 04 April 21 03:29 BST (UK) »
Chucky

If you haven't already been out to Timor it makes an interesting trip.  The remnants of the Grand Duke mine arch are impressive and the cemetery is typical goldfields.  Perhaps the local historical society could assist in locating those graves for you.  My Cornish family were also Timor/Bowenvale residents during the rush and were married in the Wesleyan Chapel Tent at Alma in 1854!

bitzar.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England

Offline Chucky_60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 04 April 21 06:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bitzar

I was actually in the general area about 18 months ago, not realising of course the significance of the place. I think I could spend the rest of my life travelling and not scratch the surface of those places I would love to visit. At least I would not have to fly to go to Timor.

Cheers