Author Topic: George James Crocker  (Read 5246 times)

Offline Chucky_60

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George James Crocker
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 04 April 21 07:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much everyone, now I have something to keep me up half the night. Cheers
Vaughan & Everson, Stilling & Smith, Crocker & Hogg, Northey & England, deCheppe & Barley, Broad & Wise

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 05 April 21 07:25 BST (UK) »
3 x great grandparents
William Crocker - B 1811 Gwennap, Cornwall, England - D 1846 Gwennap, Cornwall, England
Sarah Richards - 1810 Gwennap, Cornwall, England - D 1849 Gwennap, Cornwall, England
Married 2 Jun 1831 Gwennap, Cornwall, England
Chucky
Hi Chucky, A wet day here, so I did some more digging into the Cornish Crocker family for you. William and Sally (Sarah) had 10 children but lost many as infants. I am attaching here some family data. Hope my layout makes sense. :)
Also I am not sure you have the correct dates of birth for William or Sally - maybe take care when looking at trees on Ancestry where there are no supporting documents.

Further to this, I can see it is possible to follow quite a few of your Cornish family lines back many generations through the parish records - due to some rather unusual names, etc. If you want me to send you my notes, give me a PM with your email.
Cheers
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 05 April 21 08:50 BST (UK) »

I've been looking at the guardians of your great great grandmother Isabella HOGG who assumed the surname TELFORD for a time and is seen under that name in 1861 census.
On that census she is nominated as a sister to the TELFORD brothers, and their sister Elizabeth
She entered Australia using TELFORD.

Elizabeth, the sister of John and George was actually married before she embarked on the voyage to Australia.

Marriages Jun 1862   
TARBIT John        
TELFORD Elizabeth
Belford
10b   475

This man is ticketed on the same number as the TELFORDS on their 1862 arrival  voyage
John TARBITT. Ag Lab. b, 1833.  He appears with them on the manifest.

Why did Elizabeth travel under her maiden name? Maybe for appearances, to look like the mother of Isabella?

The first TARBIT / TELFORD  child was born in Maryborough in 1863 and others followed.

John TARBIT died in St Arnaud in 1902 /7402 aged 69
Eliz. Jane TARBIT  died in St Arnaud in 1923/12635 aged 90 .
Her parents were Thos TELFORD and Hannah HOGG.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chucky_60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 05 April 21 14:12 BST (UK) »
Again Neale and Sue thank you so much you would make great PI's. Maybe there is Netflix series just waiting to be made, just need to think of a catchy name. WOW, so much for me to try and absorb I should get to it. Oh FYI Neale it rained here all day too.
Vaughan & Everson, Stilling & Smith, Crocker & Hogg, Northey & England, deCheppe & Barley, Broad & Wise

Offline Chucky_60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Diggers

Can you please tell where I should look for a birth certificate for my very annoying Isabella Hogg. Born in 1847 in Morpeth, Northumberland. Fathers name George. I just can't seem to get an accurate fix on her mother.

Thanks

Chucky

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 12:43 BST (UK) »
The early records for Isabella are indeed difficult to ascertain.

The birth name of the mother of her guardian family (that is George, John and Elizabeth TELFORD) was Hannah  HOGG.

Isabella HOGG may have been
Hannah's brother's child (named George one assumes)
A relative of another line (eg niece) who shared the name HOGG.

I would suggest at marriage Isabella did not quite know who her mother was.
At her marriage she states Eleanor even though her guardians were present. And at death is recorded as Isabella.
Obviously the family cared a great deal for her and carried through their guardianship faithfully.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 13:33 BST (UK) »

I am going to look at this as a possible birth for her
Name: HOGG, ISABELLA       
Mother's Maiden Surname: DOBSON 
GRO Reference: 1847  M Quarter in THE MORPETH UNION  Volume 25  Page 340

This girl had older siblings - Isabella (1838), died 1838, Elizabeth (1839), Isabel (1841) died 1841, Mary (1842), Margaret (1844) died 1847.  Deaths are only possibles, I don't know for certain, and these are only within civil registration, there may be more children earlier. 

Possibly the mother's death:

HOGG, ANN
Aged 34 
GRO Reference: 1847  M Quarter in THE MORPETH UNION  Volume 25  Page 303

This is the same quarter as Isabella's birth so the death may have been childbirth related.

I can see baptisms in Morpeth for Mary and Margaret, parents named as George and Ann.

1851 census

George HOGG, aged 43, Gardener born Carham, Northumberland.
Elizabeth HOGG, dau, aged 11, born Morpeth
Mary HOGG, dau, aged 8 born Morpeth

Class: HO107; Piece: 2418; Folio: 269; Page: 2

George is, I think, supposed to be a widower but it looks more like a U for unmarried.

Thomas and Elizabeth DOBSON are living next door, aged 66 and 67 so possibly the in-laws.

George and the two girls are still together in Morpeth in 1861/1871/1881/1891.

Debra  :)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 13:50 BST (UK) »
It looks like George and Ann were married in Newcastle just one month before civil registration began.

George HOGG
Marriage Date:    03 Jun 1837
Marriage Place:    Saint John's Parish, Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
Spouse:    Ann DOBSON
FHL Film Number:    847920
Reference ID:    p62

Debra  :)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 17:58 BST (UK) »
1841 census, Hillgate, Morpeth, Northumberland
George Hogg 35 gardener, born in county
Ann Hogg 28, born in county
Elizabeth Hogg 2, born in county

This transcript for the Hogg-Dobson marriage in 1837 gives witness names – of interest a Margaret Dobson (mother? Or sister?)
https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/58182928e93790eb7f486660/ann-dobson-george-hogg-marriage-northumberland-newcastle-upon-tyne-1837-06-03?locale=en

Ann (Dobson) Hogg - Death in 1847 at age 34 gives birth at about 1812 - 1813
and age at 1841 Census suggests similar birth year.

There are a few baptisms of interest -
* This Ann Dobson has parents Thomas and Elizabeth (perhaps the couple living next door to Hogg family in 1851):
https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5f93485af493fdb860abe589/ann-dobson-baptism-northumberland-widdrington-1812-11-30?locale=en
       Also these parents have a daughter named Margaret baptised 1815
https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5f93485ef493fdb860abe5e0/margaret-dobson-baptism-northumberland-widdrington-1815-02-10?locale=en

* This one is for Ann Dobson born in Morpeth:
https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5818ca9ee93790ec8b2c7a6b/ann-dobson-baptism-northumberland-morpeth-1813-06-01?locale=en

* This Ann Dobson has a mother named Margaret, but bapt year is a little later than ideal:
https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5fb776b7f493fd9e92565257/ann-dobson-baptism-northumberland-hexham-1817-09-24?locale=en
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)