Author Topic: Merchant shipping 1843-53  (Read 1270 times)

Online Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Merchant shipping 1843-53
« on: Thursday 01 April 21 15:59 BST (UK) »
   I have been trying to track the merchant navy career of George Collard, and have a few general queries.
   Did all ships heading for India and Australia at that time cross to South America, then head back to the Cape?
    I presume all information about a ship's whereabouts was carried by returning ships? Would any (reputable?) ship returning home pick up lists from all its ports of call? (I have spent a lot of time lately with the pages of Lloyd's List and it seems quite a complex system.)
    With this man, I sometimes come across on documents the letters H C S. He seems to have been with East India Company for a time and I first thought these letters were a mistake for that, but I can't quite make the link.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant shipping 1843-53
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 April 21 16:23 BST (UK) »
H.C.S. means Honourable (East India) Company’s Service

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Online Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 April 21 16:38 BST (UK) »
  Thanks, I thought it ought to be that, but it seemed rather an odd abbreviation.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 April 21 16:45 BST (UK) »
Did all ships heading for India and Australia at that time cross to South America, then head back to the Cape?

This is the Clipper Route for sailing ships of the time (too early for steam ships).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipper_route

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 April 21 17:18 BST (UK) »
I searched the Mercantile Navy List from 1849 -1852. No record of him.
Have you searched the Alphabetical Register of Masters 1845-1854. National Archive series BT115
Available from FindMyPast?
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1735548

You are correct regarding the complex nature of Lloyd's List. I did a quick look see. A Captain Collard
came up on a regular basis as master of the London registered ship DUKE OF ROXBURGH. Have you researched this connection?
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Online Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 April 21 17:19 BST (UK) »
  Thanks again. I don't think these ships would be classed as clippers, they seem to have wandered around the Far East at times, and I am fairly sure they did not return via Cape Horn, apart from one trip, when they went from Sydney to Valparaiso. I am brushing up my geography (Where is Cuddalore/Cobija/Amoy? - I know now.)
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 April 21 17:26 BST (UK) »
If you know the name of the ship or the captain, newspapers are often very useful in reporting the progress of voyages.

Online Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 April 21 17:27 BST (UK) »
  Seaweed - Yes, The Duke of Roxburgh is the ship I have mainly been following, before that for a couple of years The Orwell.
  The list you pointed me to only has a very short early record, which you helped me with earlier.
  As well as the reports from overseas ports in Lloyds List, I have been loving the "ships spoken with" sections.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 April 21 19:02 BST (UK) »
Have you searched for DUKE OF ROXBURGH in the London Crew Agreements in the series BT98 at TNA?
1845 BT98/705
1846 BT98/998
1847 BT98/1311
1848 BT98/1666
It appears there are no records for 1849
1850 BT98/2234
You would need to visit Kew when they reopen.
There may be more information contained within which may confirm this Collard is your ancestor and further your research.

Also have you been in touch with London Metropolitan Archives to see if they have him in Lloyds Captains Register. The time line may be a little early but you never know.

I note from Lloyds Register that Collard was the owner of DUKE OF ROXBURGH As well as master. Unless of course it was another family member.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022