Author Topic: Merchant shipping 1843-53  (Read 1289 times)

Online Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant shipping 1843-53
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 April 21 19:24 BST (UK) »
  I have had a hint before that he might have been the owner. Is Lloyds Register on line? There is not much likelihood of visiting Kew, I'm afraid.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 April 21 20:09 BST (UK) »
I have had a look at the newspapers and there are over 260 entries for the Duke of Roxburgh between 1840 and 1849. The captain or commander was George P. Collard.

Online Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 April 21 20:34 BST (UK) »
  Yes, that is right - I was using Lloyds List to follow his voyages, I haven't checked any other newspapers.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 02 April 21 00:33 BST (UK) »
  I have had a hint before that he might have been the owner. Is Lloyd's Register on line? There is not much likelihood of visiting Kew, I'm afraid.

Yes. Lloyd's Register is on line. Not totally complete though.

https://hec.lrfoundation.org.uk/archive-library/lloyds-register-of-ships-online

https://www.maritimearchives.co.uk/lloyds-register.html

details from 1849
https://archive.org/details/HECORS1849/page/n201/mode/2up

DUKE OF ROXBURGH  appears in LR in 1855 when it appears she had new owners and a new master.
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=rT8SAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=editions:0Ftz6zT302-gFzEJxA5c6C#v=onepage&q&f=false

Note that Lloyds Register can be 2 or 3 years out of date. Do not trust Lloyd's List to be totally accurate.

When? TNA reopens, I will attempt to take a look at the Crew Agreements of DUKE OF ROXBURGH for you. Just give me a nudge now and again. Memory is not what it used to be!

Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 02 April 21 13:37 BST (UK) »
   I have been trying to track the merchant navy career of George Collard, and have a few general queries.
   Did all ships heading for India and Australia at that time cross to South America, then head back to the Cape?

It was common practice for sailing ships leaving the UK to head for South America to pick up strong winds (known as the 'Roaring Forties') which the ship made use of as it turned around to make it's way eastwards towards India; Australia etc. This route was also used by convict ships as it reduced the journey time dramatically. The attached image shows the route involved.

Online Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 02 April 21 14:45 BST (UK) »
  Thanks Allan, I hadn't actually registered before, that on that route, Tasmania comes before Sydney!

Seaweed - thanks for all those links. Archive.org is great, isn't it; I have the printed edition of our parish registers always to hand through it.

Another thought - how were sailing conditions coming home round the Cape of Good Hope and sailing North to England?
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Zaphod99

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 03 April 21 12:10 BST (UK) »
Seaweed they were very useful links.

The maritime archives one initially gave me a computer safety warning of some sort but I checked it on another computer and it was quite safe.

Does merchant shipping refer to anything other than war shipping? I'm a bit confused about exactly what the Merchant Navy was. If a ship is owned by a syndicate of local businessman, and it trades internationally, in Victorian times, does that make it part of the Merchant Navy?

ZAPH

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 03 April 21 14:28 BST (UK) »
The British Merchant fleet, commonly known as the Merchant Navy. Is the collective term for  all British vessels which were/are involved in commercial trade. It covers, Cruise ships  tankers, cargo ships of all descriptions, ferries, fishing Boats. tugs etc. In fact any vessel used in commercial service
The term Merchant Navy has only been in use since 1924 when the then monarch bestowed the term in recognition of the sacrifice made by the Merchant service in WW1. Previously it was known  as the Merchant, or Mercantile Marine.
The very nature of Merchant  seafaring  makes it difficult to create a regimented structure of records. So, yes, they can be confusing to the first time researcher.
The records are not confined to wartime but cover all dates. Records go back as far as 1272 but of course the ravishes of time mean that many have been lost or destroyed.
In answer to your last question. Yes. The ship would be considered to be part of the merchant service. In fact it was  common in Victorian times for vessels to be owned by a syndicate.
If you could explain what kind of records you are looking for? We may be able to direct you.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Zaphod99

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 04 April 21 11:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks Seaweed, that was basically what I needed. Nothing specific, I have many Victorian ancestors who fished and traded ip and down the east coast.

Zaph