Author Topic: Can I find Scottish Records for free??  (Read 3458 times)

Offline MsHistoryMystery

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can I find Scottish Records for free??
« on: Thursday 01 April 21 16:59 BST (UK) »
Help please.
I'm only used to searching for my Irish family and all Irish records are free (Births, Death, Marriages, Census, Church records etc)  Free to search and free to Download.
I have a gap in my ancestors who were from or lived in Scotland, so it's really disappointing to see the records so tied up in having to pay for them.  I don't mind paying for copies but not for searches as there's too much potential for paying for the wrong thing (which I have done  :-[ )
Are there ANY pre 1915 records that are free?
McGurk, Cushnahan, Mallon, McKenna, Donnelly, McDonald

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Can I find Scottish Records for free??
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 April 21 21:33 BST (UK) »
Searching the indexes at Scotland's People is free.

Some (but not all) of the older records are indexed on Family Search but only up to 1874 or so. However there is little point using them for pre-1855 events because you get the same information as on SP, and SP is kept up to date with corrections if someone spots and reports them.

It is worth using Family Search for births and marriages between 1855 and 1874.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 April 21 23:16 BST (UK) »
Why don't you include some details here on where you are with your Scottish research (names, places and dates) and people may be able to provide you with some sources or info that could help.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
  • For many hours and days that pass ever soon...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 April 21 16:12 BST (UK) »
Also the newly available Kirk Session records are free to view and its quite easy to snip out/screen grab the portions you need so you can save it for later use...though don't tell SP that ;-)
Jaffray, Morrison - Monquhitter
Bird or Burd, Ironside - Methlick
Young - Aberdeen, Banffshire
Reid, Milne - Kincardineshire
Sanderson, Marshall, Marr - Foveran
Black, Ross - Rathven
Searle or Seale, Steel(e), Forbes, Adams- Aberdeen
Hutche(s)on, Keith, Greig, Fowlie - Cuminestown, New Deer, Monquhitter, Methlick

Offline MsHistoryMystery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 11:59 BST (UK) »
Searching the indexes at Scotland's People is free.

Some (but not all) of the older records are indexed on Family Search but only up to 1874 or so. However there is little point using them for pre-1855 events because you get the same information as on SP, and SP is kept up to date with corrections if someone spots and reports them.

It is worth using Family Search for births and marriages between 1855 and 1874.

Thanks, I will check Family Search and hopefully find something.  The Indexes on Scotland's people aren't much use as you can find 6 or 10 people with the same name and birth year.  Not great unless you already know very specific details, which I don't unfortunately  :(

Offline MsHistoryMystery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 12:01 BST (UK) »
Also the newly available Kirk Session records are free to view and its quite easy to snip out/screen grab the portions you need so you can save it for later use...though don't tell SP that ;-)

Oh what are the Kirk Session records?  Are they Scottish Births / Deaths / Marriages / Census?
I have very little to go on

Offline MsHistoryMystery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 12:07 BST (UK) »
Why don't you include some details here on where you are with your Scottish research (names, places and dates) and people may be able to provide you with some sources or info that could help.

Monica

Thanks Monica.  My family lived in Port Glasgow.  My Great Great Grandparents were Helen (or Ellen) McGurk and Hugh Cushnahan.  They were married in St John's RC church in April 1876.  I have their parents names from their marriage record but that's all the information I have.  I would love to know if they were Scottish or Irish and more about the rest of their family.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 12:27 BST (UK) »
Oh what are the Kirk Session records?  Are they Scottish Births / Deaths / Marriages / Census?
I have very little to go on
No. They are the records of the Kirk Sessions, which are the committees that run each church/congregation.

Until about the middle of the 19th century they devoted a lot of their time to attempts to stamp out 'sin' among their congregations. 'Sin' could take all sorts of forms, including drunkenness and profaning the sabbath, but by far the majority was fornication or occasionally adultery. Thus the KS records often contain a lot of information about people accused of 'sin'.

There is no alternative to Scotland's People if you want to see original birth, marriage and death certificates after the start of civil registration. This is exactly that same as in England, Australia, New Zealand and many other parts of the world, apart from the fact that the Scottish ones cost a fraction of what most others do. For example you get 4 Scottish certificates for the same as one English certificate - and they are more informative.

As for the census, transcriptions are widely available. They are of variable quality (FreeCEN is the most accurate and Ancestry the worst) and should always be checked by looking at the original.

If you go to a Latter Day Saints' Family History Library you can view microfilms of most of the pre-1855 Church of Scotland registers of baptisms and banns, and of the 1841 to 1891 (or is it 1901?) census. If the FHL you go to doesn't have the correct films in stock, you can arrange for them to get them for a small rental fee. I beieve that the LDS also have films of birth, marriage and death certificates from 1855 to 1874, and 1881 and 1891, but I have never attempted to see one of those.

If you have only needed to search in Ireland so far you are exceptionally lucky that the available records are free. However they don't include all the church records, and there are very few censuses before 1901 - just a handful from 1851, as far as I know.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 12:28 BST (UK) »
My Great Great Grandparents were Helen (or Ellen) McGurk and Hugh Cushnahan.  They were married in St John's RC church in April 1876.  I have their parents names from their marriage record but that's all the information I have.  I would love to know if they were Scottish or Irish and more about the rest of their family.
Look them up in the LDS transcription of the 1881 census which is available free of charge on Scotland's People.