Author Topic: "Known Unto God" and DNA identification  (Read 2594 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: "Known Unto God" and DNA identification
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 03 April 21 13:42 BST (UK) »
Pheno

I totally support that
Lovely philosophy
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Known Unto God" and DNA identification
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 03 April 21 18:24 BST (UK) »
I have a relative, Jim, whose death I know quite a lot about because the Tank Corps battle sheet and Australian unit war diary (his tank battalion was supporting the AIF) detail the action. He has no known grave and is commemorated on the Vis-en-Artois memorial to the missing. He probably took a direct hit in his tank, which then burned.

So many soldiers suffered a similar fate, obliterated by shellfire, to say nothing of those who literally disappeared in the mud (or at sea, etc).  I think that one should simply visit the memorial to mourn such soldiers if physical presence is wanted. My great aunt was engaged to Jim (her cousin). I know she went to the continent after the war but I’m not sure if she visited the memorial. I probably know more about Jim’s fate than she did, thanks to modern access to these records. I think we should leave the dead to their rest and be thankful that we can learn so much about them.

Dave
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight