Author Topic: Alexander LAW - Aberdeenshire Militia - pre 1811  (Read 1095 times)

Offline HHLondon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander LAW - Aberdeenshire Militia - pre 1811
« on: Friday 02 April 21 02:32 BST (UK) »
I have just purchased the baptism registration for John LAW Oct 1811 in Inveresk, Midlothian. His parents were Alexander LAW and Janet MORTON. (My direct ancestor is a later daughter of the same couple, Elisabeth.) On John's baptism registration, Alexander is listed as "private in the Aberdeenshire militia."
I don't understand how someone who is a member of the militia in Aberdeenshire ends up in Inveresk with his wife. They had John there in 1811, and the rest of their children in Cockpen and then Carrington. So they stayed in the area.
I would like to know how to find information on Alexander's militia role and any documents pertaining to that. (LOOKUP #1: militia records for Alexander Law)
I also have not been able to find a marriage document for Alexander and Janet so I'm not sure who she was or where she came from either. There doesn't seem to be a marriage around that time that corresponds. (LOOKUP #2: marriage record for Alexander Law and Janet Morton - I don't mind buying it from Scotland'sPeople, I just need to find it!)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander LAW - Aberdeenshire Militia - pre 1811
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 April 21 12:47 BST (UK) »
I am copying a section of a file on one of my grandfathers who served in the St Fergus and Longside company of the 2nd Regiment of Aberdeenshire Local Militia. It will show you why your ancestor ended up in the south east of Scotland.

The reference to the second child comes from the militia records.

At some point, James Thom joined the 2nd Regiment of Aberdeenshire Local Militia. Perhaps he volunteered, perhaps his name was drawn in the ballot and he decided not to advertise for and pay a substitute. The only indication of his service is the following entry in The Record of Aberdeenshire Local Militia Certificates for 25th June 1809:

Wife: Jean Mackie   
Name: James Thom
No. of children: Two              
Residence: St. Fergus      
Regiment: 2d Regiment

The St Fergus and Longside company, 60 men in strength, was commanded by Captain Thomas Kilgour. It was linked (as centre company) with that of Rathen (left company) and that of Crimond and Lonmay (right company). These other two companies were of the same strength, and all three were under the command of Major Alexander Harvey, who ultimately became lieutenant-colonel of the 2nd Regiment.

When his children were baptised, James is not described as serving in the militia, just that he was “in Inverugie”. Perhaps his period of service was not very long. The regiment was stationed at Haddington from May 1806 to May 1807, at Musselburgh from May 1807 to May 1809, at Edinburgh from May 1809 to May 1810, and at Berwick from May 1810 to November 1811. It was then at Dalkeith until December 1812, at Glasgow until February 1813, at Carlisle until March 1813, at Liverpool until June 1813, and at Norman’s Cross, Dover, until January 1814 when it took up residence in the Tower of London. It marched out of the Tower in August 1814 and arrived at Aberdeen on Saturday 17th September. It disembodied on Friday 23rd September, assembling again at Aberdeen on Tuesday 25th July 1815, a month after Waterloo, and continuing under arms until Saturday 24th February 1816.

All that can be said with certainty about his militia service is that James was in Edinburgh with his regiment in June 1809.

There is a book by J. M. Bulloch which gives details of the regiment. Unfortunately it does not name privates, only officers. Here is a link to an on-line copy open at the page for the Aberdeenshire militia:

https://archive.org/details/territorialsoldi00bullrich/page/370/mode/2up

In the Archives in Aberdeen, I found the June 1809 certificates which are about support for children of men serving.

I hope this helps.

Offline HHLondon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 April 21 18:30 BST (UK) »
This book is insanely useful! Thank you so much for the link.

Still no luck with the marriage. I wonder if they had an irregular marriage that just hasn't been noted anywhere. I'll keep digging.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 April 21 19:38 BST (UK) »
Just a thought. Witnesses to John's baptism might include members of the regiment. If they could be identified as such, it might lead you to which company Alexander was in and the therefore the parish he was from.

Offline HHLondon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 April 21 18:38 BST (UK) »
That's a good thought. I haven't been able to find a list of the non-officers in the unit. However, there is a John Walker listed as part of the unit (National Archives - https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C8823134). I don't have access to the document to find out more. The other witness is a bit hard to read - maybe Adam Manson? I haven't seen a name yet that could match but I'll keep looking.
I would welcome any help finding a marriage for Janet Morton and Alexander Law. It's possible, of course, that it was irregular and they weren't brought before a Kirk Session. I'm keeping my eyes open as I look at Kirk Session Records. I think the only Alexander Law that fits as far as a birth is concerned is the one born to John Law and Barbara Smith in Keithhall and Kinkell, Aberdeenshire in 1778. Not sure...

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 April 21 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hi, have you read the help & guidance section of scotlandspeople regarding the Old Parish Records? There is a link there about the coverage of the individual parish records. Many are incomplete for various reasons.Some marriages were not entered in the register. You may never find details of the couple's marriage. Have you found the deaths of Alexander & Janet? Did any of their offspring get married after 1855? A marriage certificate should state whether their parents are alive or deceased. Hope this helps,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 April 21 19:35 BST (UK) »
This may be helpful to you in your research into Aberdeenshire Militia.
https://archives.aberdeencity.gov.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=AS%2fAMil
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 April 21 21:43 BST (UK) »
In Bulloch's book there is a Captain Alexander Manson listed in the 3rd Regiment.

Offline HHLondon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 22:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you. These are helpful suggestions and I will follow up on them.