Author Topic: LAURA GAGAN ? an update on Still searching  (Read 2038 times)

Offline Mars Barr

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
LAURA GAGAN ? an update on Still searching
« on: Monday 29 August 05 11:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks to Thelma, I have found a link to my gt aunt Grace Gartland (nee Gagan)
now I am awaiting more information from a descendant of "Maggie" Gartland (nee Driscoll).

I am now concentrating on trying to find the other gt aunt LAURA GAGAN.

I have just received another tit bit of info, someone has kindly informed me that she appears on the 1901 census (I was unable to find her after 1891) she was still working as a domestic servant, but now with a family named Michael Lally in Thurlow, Hastings East.
This has given me further information that she was still unmarried at the age of 25.
Now I am trying to find out, how can I check for a marriage, is there any sites like we have in England, giving BMDs. I have tried some sites mentioned, but they are not really of much help to me, not having a name index only areas, but she coiuld have moved from the area she was in , so I do not really have much of a clue, are there any sites with an index for marriages in Ontario?
Or has anyone else come across her name?

Whilst I`m on here, my grateful thanks go out to the many kind people in Canada who offer their help, I have been able to piece together with their help, so much now about my relatives there, and I have high hopes that eventually I will "hit the jackpot" how wonderful that day will be, when I may finally make contact with a near relative, and it will e thanks to help being given here.
What a great site this is proving to be.

I just hope that if anyone is looking for  similar help in Essex I shall be able to offer it.
Maud
Gartland (Canada)  Copeland (Derby & Leicester)  Barr (Greenock-Scotland)
Geoghan(Ireland)  Jarvis (Essex)

Offline samthompson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: LAURA GAGAN ? an update on Still searching
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 August 05 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Maud

here is a long shot with a bit of work involved -

in the 1901 census there is a Laura Gagan, domestic, with the Lally family - the actual census image lists Laura as born in England, immigrated in 1886 - they are in Thurlow, East Hastings, Ontario. You have already seen this

Lally Michael M   Head W Sep 17 1839 61   
Lally John E. M   Son S Jun 28 1882 18   
Lally Mary C. F   Daughter S Sep 17 1883 17   
Lally Joseph L. M   Son S Jun 28 1885 15   
Lally Francis M. M   Son S Sep 10 1887 13   
Lally Thomas J. M   Son S Mar 9 1889 12   
Cartwirth Mrs. Anna F   Domestic W Jan 7 1876 24   
Gagan Laura F   Domestic S Dec 25 1875 25   

the 1911 census has just recently been released and volunteers are working to compile a name index but it will be a while before that is complete. However, the district can still be searched page by page for the Lally family. Laura may still with them (a long shot really, as she likley married).  Even if she is not with the Lally family she may still show up in this area working for another family or as a married woman. IF you have nothing better to do you could browse the pages looking for a Laura Gagan or a Laura (married name), born in England, immigrated 1886. You may get lucky.

So, if you go to this site it is the link to the census for Thurlow, East Hastings, Ontario - you can view each page as a PDF file.

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/Test3.jsp?did=79

Good luck and let me know if you need any help with it. I am busy indexing parts of Alberta so am familiar with the process.

Thelma

ps sometime this site is busy and won't load so you can see the same images at this site

http://data4.collectionscanada.ca/netacgi/nph-brs?s4=ON&s1=thurlow&l=20&Sect1=IMAGE&Sect2=THESOFF&Sect5=1911PEN&s10=1911&Sect6=HITOFF&d=GS31&p=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.collectionscanada.ca%2Farchivianet%2F1911%2F006003-100.01-e.html&r=0&f=S
Source: Library and Archives Canada's website (www.collectionscanada.ca)

Kilgannon, Chugg, Neutze