Author Topic: Diary > Friday 2nd April - Good Friday  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Friday 2nd April - Good Friday
« on: Saturday 03 April 21 00:07 BST (UK) »
Another unremarkable day. Went down the narrow path in the woods again, I wanted to have another look at the trees in all the splendour of their blossom, and there they were. (See below  :) )
I took a photo on my plant finder app and it identified them as Sloe. That made sense, I remember when my friend and I walked along there some months ago and she commented on all the Sloe berries that were growing there.

After lunch I did some admin then went out in the garden, it was cold and the sun hadn't managed to come through. Did some bits of this and that, am wondering how my seedlings will fare if it gets as cold as the forecast says. Have put them near the house where it's sheltered, not sure what else to do.

Came inside and did some cleaning and ironing, oh joy. Am not very pleased with Tesco, they will no longer be using tray liners from about the 19th. I completely understand that they want to cut down on plastics but it's going to be such a mess about at the doorstep transferring everything into my own bags, not to mention having to bend or crouch down to do it all. No doubt it will delay deliveries too. I do reuse the liners, I cut them open and use them to protect the table when doing my artwork or when I'm doing something on the garden table so they're not wasted in my house.

Fish for tea of course, made some Cajun salmon. Got my appetite back today and even had a couple of glasses of wine.

Hope everyone has had a good day.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Friday 2nd March - Good Friday
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 April 21 01:10 BST (UK) »
Roobarb, you must have read my mind. I was going to ask for photos of the trees in bloom. They are beautiful.

Good Friday is always a bit of a funny day I think, despite it being much the same as any other day for many people, except that the shops are shut.

Decided to visit my father as he wouldn’t have been out to see anyone during our little lockdown. I needn’t have bothered as he had been out for morning tea and my brother was visiting in the afternoon.

Watched “Safe House”. Not too bad.

Dog was naughty on her walk. Barked at a nice lady who wanted to say hello to her, barked at Jack the Jack Russell (understandable - I feel like barking at him too), and barked at a border collie and little white dog walking on the other side of the road.  :-\ What an embarrassment.  ;D

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 April 21 01:17 BST (UK) »
Lovely blossom, Roobarb.

Aside from frantically knitting to complete 2 more baby jackets (just started last sleeve), which need to be ready by Sunday when I am going to meet my niece, I haven't done much else of late.   Aside, that is, from my final visit to dentist - 4 bottom teeth out and a new plate which I am slowly breaking in. 

Tomorrow supposed to go to my sisters for a garden visit with nephew and family but not looking forward to doing so in the cold.   Weather has been such a tease - some gloriously sunny and warm days then come a Bank Holiday and it's back to the cold again!   

Dull and overcast all day here - a foray to deposit bags of rubbish in the bins at the rear of the car park was enough to show how cold it had got since yesterday.  Quite a brisk chilly wind too.

My Asda order arrived early - I have it delivered in bags because I then have to carry it upstairs.   I re-use the bags for items I take to the charity shop as they only accept items that are bagged.

Think I'd better wrap up warmly tomorrow as meeting family in garden.   At least it's not supposed to rain.

Happy Easter, everyone and continue to stay safe.

Annette

By the way, Roobarb - you need to amend title - it is indeed Good Friday but is 2nd April!
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 April 21 09:00 BST (UK) »
Roobarb - that’s a stunning photo of the blossom on the blackthorn trees...I can now see why you were so enamoured with them!
I was wondering about my sweet peas too... they’re in the shed on the bench by the window so hope they’ll be ok in the cold...
Shame Tesco are changing their methods... initially Waitrose put everything in bags and we had loads of them now it’s just in the crates.... pity when you find the liners useful! I was going to give Tesco a go next week...

Ruskie - glad to hear your all out and about again now.... Shame you dog barks at others... has he always done that?

Annette-  nice to hear from you and hope your visit goes well with the family... wrap up warm and perhaps take a rug to keep warm...
I’m sure you’ll be on the go for some time with double knitting..

My day
Up quite early, a dull and chilly start as expected! Felt excited to be seeing the family...
After breakfast got picnic ready... OH made sandwiches whilst I showered and washed my hair...wanted to put it up but thought it would be too cold ...hate my ears cold but hate wearing hats! Compromise half up rest down!
Got all ingredients for a beef casserole ready, had some nice gravy from a previous one I’d put in the freezer... put all into the slow cooker so it would be ready when we got home...
Just got in the car when daughter messaged to say they were just leaving... takes them longer than us, so we just had a slower drive... got there before them so waited in the car as it was quite chilly to be just standing around... they soon arrived and piled out of the car! Boys very excited... my how they’ve grown! Exchanged Easter eggs and then set off... there were certainly lots of people but it’s a huge place with lots of areas to go...
We had a coffee and our lunch first as there were very few picnic tables and one was free! The boys are always hungry anyway so seemed like a good idea...
All the spring flowers were out and it looked so beautiful full of colour... lots of varieties of daffs, snowdrops still out, primroses, hellebores... the boys are interested in wanting to know the names of everything so between us we managed to tell them!
We walked to the folly which is right out on the extremities of the estate and had a good view of the surrounding area...
we all sat on a log and had our hot x buns... tasty if a little dense! Think that was J helping a little heavy handed in final shaping so air got knocked out too much! They’d also made chocolate Easter nests with choc eggs ontop... needed strong teeth to bite into it!
By 5pm we decided we’d walked enough and it was time to leave... the boys fitbits told us we’d done over 20,000 steps... no wonder we felt tired!
A lovely day and it wasn’t too cold, the sun came out on odd occasions.. no rain though and light winds..
It was sad to say goodbye but we had waist hugs from the boys...a lovely day out..
We were glad to get home for a nice cuppa... so glad I’d put a meal in the slow cooker as definitely didn’t want any more standing up!
Relaxed and watched tv but had an early night...

Hope the rest of Easter is enjoyable for everyone..

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Friday 2nd April - Good Friday
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 April 21 10:12 BST (UK) »
Your day sounds lovely Caroline. Whereabouts did you meet up with the family? The flowers must have been wonderful to see.

It sounds like a good effort with the bun making. They can be extremely difficult to get right. I think it’s wonderful that the boys are cooking and appreciating nature.

Annette, I’m sure your knitting efforts will be much appreciated especially knowing how much love has gone into making them. Sorry to hear about your dentist appointments. It all sounds very invasive and painful. I hope you heal quickly.

Added: Caroline. Yes, dog barks at some people and some dogs but not others. She is a bit nervous and I think that is one reason for barking, other times she is excited and wants to play. Various reasons for this. All annoying.  ;D

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 April 21 10:39 BST (UK) »
We met at a NT place called Wimpole Estate... just south of Cambridge.... lots open spaces just perfect for two very energetic boys and to tire out your grandparents 😂😂.

Can imagine that your dogs behaviour is annoying especially when you’re not sure which way she’s going to behave!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 April 21 11:08 BST (UK) »
So lovely for you Caroline. :D
Have a fab time tomorrow Annette, you might be up all night finishing the new cardis.
Gorgeous photo Roobarb, thank you.
Ruskie I saw a dog this morning, the lead comprised just a strap around the muzzle, (not an actual cage type,) which might be a good compromise?

I was very lucky to get a second Morris session yesterday, someone else had to drop out. What a joy, blue sky, sunshine and the east wind dropped. Saw people I haven't seen in almost a whole year.

Tried Oz again, but no response.... as you say Ruskie, either out or my son is ignoring me, or both!! Haven't spoken to the children in over a month.  :'(
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 April 21 11:32 BST (UK) »
Wimpole Estate looks very impressive Caroline. I’m ashamed to say I’ve never heard of it. It may be one to add to the bucket list I think.  ;D

MH, I think those leads are called “gentle leader”.  We had one for a previous dog and she hated it. It’s mainly used to stop dogs pulling on the lead. It pulls across their nose if they pull. Very effective I believe. Unfortunately I think they can still snaffle food off the footpath though.  ::)

It seems like your spirits have lifted thanks to being able to get out and catch up with friends in the nice weather. I would say that your son is more likely to be away for the weekend than ignoring you.

I don’t think there are any restrictions on movement anywhere at present, though masks are a requirement in some areas.

Weather is currently nice here, though probably not for anyone camping, which many do over Easter. Cooler, 25 degrees during the day, with some grey clouds and drizzle. Just how I like it. We are a big country though so other areas will have different conditions.

:)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 April 21 13:11 BST (UK) »
Yess Roobarb, I have big shopping bags ready but as you say bending etc,
I have replied somewhere else, ::) but I know not where.
I came on again because just on the radio news,an 80+ person has died from injuries sustained after two dogs escaped through a hole in the fence of the owner’s garden.
Breed not  yet established.
How absolutely awful!
Hope the owner if they nuisance dogs we have heard about has been properly responsible .What a worry.
My screen has split again .a narrow area only ,will have to fiddle with it!
Hope everyone is well. Viktoria,thanks for your kind comments everyone.