Author Topic: Where did FamilySearch find this burial record?  (Read 1030 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where did FamilySearch find this burial record?
« on: Saturday 03 April 21 10:31 BST (UK) »
William Hickin (Hicken) died in December 1917 at Rhine Hill (Ryon Hill) near Hampton Lucy. FamilySearch has a record of his burial in Beaudesert (Henley in Arden), December 1917, abode Hampton Lucy. When I try to find the original entry on FindMyPast Warwickshire parish registers browse, I can’t find this record at all. The burial register for Beaudesert (1902-20) is just a mess, with only one page of records. 1917 is not there. Where else can I look? Presumably FamilySearch saw something I can’t find, in order to know William’s abode (which I got from his death reg).

Dave :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Where did FamilySearch find this burial record?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 April 21 10:49 BST (UK) »
The National Probate Calendar records:

'Hicken, William, of The Cottage, Rhine Hill, Stratford On Avon, died 11 December 1917. Probate Birmingham 4 January to George Hicken, farm bailiff, Philip Hicken, dairyman. Effects £1250 - 6s - 4d'

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 April 21 10:57 BST (UK) »
FamilySearch would have taken details off the microfilm that they hold. With regard to William Hicken, the microfilm is held in their Family History Library, the film number is 1067395 and the reference ID is : Items 10 - 12, p(age) 96, n(umber?) 767.

I believe that you could request to see films like this at your nearest FamilySearch research centre (unfortunately closed at the moment)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 April 21 11:00 BST (UK) »
Following Allan's posting, these are the details from the film number 1067395 which he quotes
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/results?count=20&query=%2Bfilm_number%3A1067395
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 April 21 11:23 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for these details. I hadn’t realised that William left a will, though being a farmer I expected him to (the probate doesn’t seem to appear on FindMyPast, though other probate records I have found do. Or maybe I have taken out a short Ancestry subscription in the past?).

I’ll have to look into the parish burial record when lockdown lifts. At least the probate and burial transcription make me 100% confident now that William who died at Rhine Hill in 1917 was my 2x great grandfather, previously farming at Beaudesert. Interesting too that son George had left his father’s farm and become a farm bailiff.

I’ll try to get over to Beaudesert churchyard this year since there seems to be a headstone.

Dave :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 April 21 11:36 BST (UK) »
I always use the Government website for Probate searches ;D
www.probatesearch.service.gov.uk
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 April 21 11:44 BST (UK) »
Don't know if you have seen the auction notice (March 1917) for the sale of livestock etc belonging to William Hicken of Lower Liveridge Hill Farm, Henley in Arden as he is 'declining farming' (novel method to see he is retiring). If you are still on FindMyPast, the link below will take you to it.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/viewarticle?id=bl%2f0000033%2f19170310%2f059&stringtohighlight=william%20hicken

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 April 21 11:51 BST (UK) »
I’ll try to get over to Beaudesert churchyard this year since there seems to be a headstone.

Where did you find that out?

As KG says, always go direct to the government probate search website rather than relying on secondary sources.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 April 21 12:14 BST (UK) »
Midland Ancestors have transcribed the readable inscriptions at Beaudesert, downloadable for a very modest fee ...

https://midland-ancestors.shop/Henley-In-Arden-Parish-records-I140D
("There is no date period for our Monumental Inscriptions because they cover the entire burial ground & all of the Gravestones, providing they were in a readable condition when transcribed.")