Author Topic: Help with Mackenzie family  (Read 1110 times)

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
Help with Mackenzie family
« on: Saturday 03 April 21 17:20 BST (UK) »
My relative in Canada has sent me a note posted to her from a Mackenzie relative when she was planning a visit to Scotland about 2004
Its  a bit confusing to me I tried all yesterday but not much luck this is the note she posted with no dates at all

1,Margaret Ritchie(Mrs Alan Ritchie)
( daughters Maureen and Linda)
117,Ormonde Ave, Netherlee ,Glasgow S 4

2, Margaret Shapley ( widow )
24,Alexander Place Esplanade Oban

Aleck Mackenzie  Dry Island Badacheo Gairloch

The above three are all cousins - also my cousin's  so the lady writes
My father had 3 sisters and two brothers Margaret Richie is daughter of Mary
Margaret Shapley is Daughter of Jessie
Aleck Mackenzie is the son of brother Jim
Alecks inherited the house on Dry Island ,where my father and grandfather lived
When father married he left Dry Island and built a Heatherlea for my mother . It was there that Maisie ,Al and I were born

Maisie corresponds regularly with the two Margaret's ,but we have never written to the Dry Island cousins of course they will know who you are signed Mrs Frasor

In S/P I found Margaret Taylor Ritchie's death 2003 aged 92 address Eastwood and Mearns unable to buy . Also Margaret Taylor Shapley died at Oban aged 67 in 1973 no mothers maiden name shown

I have the family from John Mackenzie born in In Helmsdale Abt  1847 he was McKenzie there  )
John  married Margaret Taylor family
Alexander Mackenzie b 1870 d 1947 Vancouver Canada
John Taylor
Mary
Jessie
Jim I take above is James b 12/02/1881
Catherine b 1882     all Dry Island

James married Maggie MacLean in 1905 daughter of Alexander MacLean
the only family I have for him is
John Mackenzie b 1906
Alexander MacLean Mackenzie b 1908

Margaret Taylor Mackenzie b 1910
Wow that took some time to enter but saying that any help will be Welcome please
Elizabeth

McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Mackenzie family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 April 21 17:55 BST (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 April 21 22:10 BST (UK) »
Sorry about that I only copied what was on the letter
I've been to Gairloch many years ago but never got back that way in Scotland
thank you again
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 April 21 10:35 BST (UK) »
Sorry about that I only copied what was on the letter
I've been to Gairloch many years ago but never got back that way in Scotland
Obviously a mistranscription somewhere along the line, but that one wrong letter would make it a very frustrating search. :)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 April 21 11:57 BST (UK) »
Once more thank you have a nice Easter
Elizabeth