Author Topic: On 1861 Census, but not showing on the Agricultural 1861 pages?  (Read 686 times)

Offline shawd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
On 1861 Census, but not showing on the Agricultural 1861 pages?
« on: Saturday 03 April 21 18:48 BST (UK) »
I have an ancestor who appears on the 1861 Canada census as James Carnaghan.

He appears with his wife (Mary A Kernaghan) and two of their children (Moses, Mary A) on page 64.
- Enumeration District 4 of the Township of Whitchurch in the County of York (pg 64)
Bounded on  the North by  East Gwillimbury, in the East by 4th Concession Whitchurch in the South by Markham, in the West by 2nd Concession

James Carnaghan - Farmer - Place of Birth: Ireland - Religion: Church of England - Age: 72 - Male - Married
Mary A Kernaghan (Wife) - Place of Birth: Ireland - Religion: Church of England - Age: 52 - Female - Married
Moses Kernaghan - Labourer - Place of Birth: Ireland - Religion: Church of England - Age: 17 - Male - Single
Mary A Kernaghan (Spinster) - Place of Birth: Ireland - Religion: Church of England - Age: 19 - Female - Single
Living in log house, 1 story

However, when I look at the agricultural pages following, I see his neighbours listed (John Henisee, George Canada, James Hannah, Frederick Smith) but James Carnaghan/Kernaghan does not appear.

Does anyone have any insight into why this might be?

I cannot find the family on the 1851 Canada census, so they may have immigrated to Canada after 1851, and I suspect that James Carnaghan/Kernaghan was dead by 1866, because I see his neighbours listed in the Directory/Gazetteer in 1866 and 1870-71.  I also see his widow listed in the 1871 Canada census, still in Whitchurch.  But I have not yet found a record of his death or burial anywhere.
ENGLAND: Thomas Hawdon (??-??)
ENGLAND: Matthias Hawdon (1732-1788)
ENGLAND: William Hawdon (1767-1836)
ENGLAND: John Crozier Hawdon (1807-1870)
ENGLAND-CANADA: Charles William Hawdon (1850-1935)

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: On 1861 Census, but not showing on the Agricultural 1861 pages?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 April 21 00:33 BST (UK) »
You can look for burials at this website. There are a few possible entries for James and Mary A under the county of York. Spelling Carnaghan.

http://ocfa.islandnet.com

Civil registration did not start in Ontario until 1869 so if he died prior to then there won't be a death cert.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline shawd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 April 21 15:23 BST (UK) »
You can look for burials at this website. There are a few possible entries for James and Mary A under the county of York. Spelling Carnaghan.

http://ocfa.islandnet.com

Civil registration did not start in Ontario until 1869 so if he died prior to then there won't be a death cert.

PB

Thanks PB, I'll see if that leads me to anything.

Any guesses why James would appear on the census in one place, but not on the agricultural page?  I'm a bit suspicious that the reason he's not appearing there might be the same reason he is not showing in the 1866 directory, in which case maybe he wasn't dead by then ... maybe he was just subletting land or something from a neighbour and therefore didn't get listed?

I'm not sure ...

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 April 21 15:42 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid I don't have any idea why he wouldn't be on the ag page. Hopefully, someone else might know.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 April 21 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Not all of the 1851 census records have survived.   The records for Whitchurch are missing....

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/1851/Pages/canada-west.aspx

RK

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 April 21 16:56 BST (UK) »
For the 1861 Census the Ag component was to capture farmers (owners) gross acreage and crops/livestock.

If he was a tenant he wouldn't have been counted. Of course he may have simply been missed.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline shawd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 April 21 21:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Not all of the 1851 census records have survived.   The records for Whitchurch are missing....

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/1851/Pages/canada-west.aspx

RK

I did not realize this!  Hmm, that really throws a wrench in narrowing down when they came from Ireland (different family members report different years on different documents - anywhere from 1847 to 1856).

Offline shawd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 April 21 21:46 BST (UK) »
For the 1861 Census the Ag component was to capture farmers (owners) gross acreage and crops/livestock.

If he was a tenant he wouldn't have been counted. Of course he may have simply been missed.

Don

This is what I was afraid of.

Does anyone have any impressions of how likely it is that neighbours knew each other before immigrating and settled in the same place?  Or would they probably have been strangers to each other?  Wondering if I can use them as a jumping off point for further research or if I'd likely be wasting my time.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 April 21 21:58 BST (UK) »
It depends whether the neighbors were from same place.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.