Author Topic: Diary > Saturday 3rd April  (Read 1204 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Saturday 3rd April
« on: Sunday 04 April 21 00:15 BST (UK) »
Just another day. Woke very late despite an earlier lights out, it was a grey day and nothing to tempt me to do anything. A friend phoned and we had a long chat, it really cheered me up.

It was after two when I went out for a walk, didn't really enjoy it, although you couldn't call it crowded by any means there were more people out than usual despite it being chilly. Back home, eventually got myself out in the garden and did some bits of weeding, potted some more rudbeckia seedlings. About 4pm the sun came out, it was quite warm.

Did some peri peri chicken for tea with a well known brand of sauce, I used far too much, it was hotter than I thought and I ended up moving the chicken and veg to another plate without the sauce. A lesson learnt. Watched some TV, finished my bathtime paperback. Forecast for Sunday is wall to wall sunshine so I suppose it'll be a day in the garden.

Have a happy Easter everyone.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Saturday 3rd April
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 April 21 08:28 BST (UK) »
Oh dear Roobarb sounds like a day of pushing yourself to get going to do things... nice to have long chats and pleased it cheered you up! I like chats too always nice to get different conversation... hope the sunshine on Sunday lifts your spirits!

After an early night and a good sleep I got up to a grey looking chilly day...OH went off to play golf ..
I did some tidying up and stripped one bed... I had a chat with a friend which was nice and the time flew by .. a late lunch, listened to my audio book fora while but couldn’t really get into the story so I thought I’d do some research looking at all the DNA matches I’d got and try to figure out where some come from... it’s quite a task!
My friend M called and we had a long chat...she was saying they were doing patrols in the South Terminal (Gatwick) and how dusty and grimy the place is... they should really have had people going round running the taps and flushing the loos as there’s mood and fungus everywhere... certainly good to need a thorough deep clean before it’s all open to the public.
Out of the3,000 staff there are now only 700... five flights in and five out so very small numbers..she said the queues and waiting times for checks etc for arrivals was to five hours.. 😱.
it’s quite interesting to hear what life’s like in other areas ...
OH arrived home quite worn out so had a late lunch and relax!
Dinner was chicken stir fry with noodles..
Watched some tv.. mostly rubbish and retired early...
Hoping Sunday will be as promised sunny so we can get in the garden..

Enjoy your Easter Sunday

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 April 21 08:41 BST (UK) »
Gosh, all sounds grim at Gatwick. 
Nevermind; BoJo says we can all go abroad from May 17th, so I shall dust off my suitcase!  ;)

Made an early bread raid, bright and dry, but it was bitterly cold due to a gusting North wind. A wren came and sat just in front of me in the lane, trilling away in full view.

A bit warmer during the afternoon, as the wind dropped a little.  After lunch had a stroll round the lakes. So many robins sitting alongside the paths, I think most visitors must scatter food for them. :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 April 21 13:44 BST (UK) »
Caroline, it's difficult to imagine the airport with mould and fungus, let's hope it's not too long before there are more flights taking off.

MH, I've turned the wind around for you, hope it's feeling a bit warmer today.  :D
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 April 21 18:11 BST (UK) »
I know I was quite shocked when she told me the state of the terminal... she said it’s going to need a good month before use to be cleaned....
Not sure I’d be going to the loo knowing all that! She said it was quite disgusting... nature taking over just goes to show what would happen to building if we had some kind of natural disaster....

Happy days... get your suitcase out MH...I’m not travelling anywhere requiring an airport any time soon... good old Blighty for us I think...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 April 21 18:34 BST (UK) »
I paid a visit to our airport this morning - it'd doubling up as a vaccination hub!

9:30 am for my Astra-Zeneca jab.
Then had to sit for 15 minutes, as I was driving home.

Very efficient; very quick.

No side-effects, so far :D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 April 21 23:23 BST (UK) »
That's great KG, hope you stay well tomorrow.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 April 21 12:38 BST (UK) »
Having cut the lawn this afternoon and at a bit of a loose end I sat down with some music. I have recently come across a Welsh hymn tune "Pantyfedwen". Had a look at it, found it on Youtube with a couple of different settings (Mixed choir and orchestra and a Male Choir setting.) Liked it and thought about what it might sound like for a brass group. So I settled down for the rest of the afternoon fiddling around with a basic four part arrangement, but all the while I was thinking, I've heard this somewhere before or something very similar. And this bugged me all the weekend until this morning it clicked.
I leave you to make you own judgements on this but if you have the opportunity listen to this piece and then go to "You raise me up" and see what you think.
I would be interested in your comments. Of course I may be barking up the wrong tree again but.....
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Online Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 April 21 20:22 BST (UK) »
Jeff, I do agree, I can hear phrases which are very similar. Well spotted.  :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.